Tops and weather - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tops and weather

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJ

Unread 03-26-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
Nine5YJ

Tops and weather

Hey-

Since warmer weather is apporaching here in New England, I was thinking of putting on a new soft top. The one I have is a raggy and missing various pieces of hardware. Instead of buying a new top for $400+, I was starting to look at just buying a bikini top, tonneau cover, and acrylic windscreen(pg 26 JC whitney JEEP)or windjammer and save around $275. MY QUESTION IS THIS: does much rain or wind penetrate through to the interior? ( In the pictures in the mag it looks like there are some gaps) If anyone has a setup like that, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Tom
95 YJ

Unread 03-27-2001, 03:58 AM   #2
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From what I've seen, you'll get leaking from the gap between the rollbar and door. Both form on top and from the back.

The only halfcab top that seals out the weather completely that I know of is from California Tops. www.californiatops.com. I've got a bikini top and duster cover that I use when it's sunny.
Unread 03-27-2001, 09:54 AM   #3
Cody_91YJ

Yea, your gonna get some leakage.
But it would be better then being wide open.

Soft Top prices are a little cheaper now, so it may be worth the investment, espationally
when winter rolls around
Unread 03-28-2001, 12:47 PM   #4
jmsjeep

All I have is the bikini setup with windbreaker ((pg. 12 and 19 in JC Cat)which will make a better seal with tonneau) and tonneau/duster or my hard top.
Same situation you are proposing. Its not bad when you have all the pieces on and your driving in the rain (except when you get a cross wind, like at a stop light). But if you do not garage it or have a cover to throw over it(pg.11 JC catalog) your seats and floor will get soaked when and rains and thier is any wind. Gaps around doors and in the back at roll bars are big. But this setup looks much cooler than a soft top.

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2001, 11:03 AM   #5
Double Down

Yeah man, just to let you know it's good if you dont want to get REALLY wet. But i will garuntee the first time you sit in the driver seat of the jeep after it rains you'll be pissed. If you leave it over night and its not garaged, or there is a tremendous storm and you are out and about you will get wet, the floors will be soaked, and after it has stopped, you will have massive and i mean massive puddle on the roof and the back cover. it may sound bad but you get used to it, and i enjoy having mine.
Double Down is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.