Topic: Pls Help! - Novice needs advice on '94 YJ ... first project(s)... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Topic: Pls Help! - Novice needs advice on '94 YJ ... first project(s)...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 10-06-2001, 06:16 AM   #1
Missin44

Topic: Pls Help! - Novice needs advice on '94 YJ ... first project(s)...

Just got a pure stock '94 YJ, no lift, 4 banger. Everything in good shape. About the only option is power steering. With about $1000 to spend over the winter lets hear some ideas on my first project(s). It needs to have good road manors, will use it for commuting. At the same time want to have a competent off-roader, that looks good but not to radical(needs to get me to those hidden fishing, hunting and camping spots). Plan to do the work myself. Wouldn't want to try making a living with a wrench, but not half bad either. The problem I'm having is what to do, where to start. A novice at all this. Throw some ideas at me, lets see what sticks.
Thanks

'92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 spd, OX Locked front, 4:10 gears, BDS 3.5" lift, reverse shackles, Ford 8.8 Limited-slip rear, York OBA, JB Conversions SYE Kit, CV driveshft, Centerforce II clutch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, Skid Row Top Prop, Big Daddy OffRoad Front Bumper, Yokahoma Geolander 32's, Rokmen Riddler differential cover
Missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2001, 12:57 PM   #2
-D-

From absolutely stock you'd want to go with All-Terrain tires, Tow Hooks front and rear and a tow strap and sway-bar discos. That would get you going and still be fairly under $1000. Also I'd suggest looking at some of the 4WD checklists and getting some of those items like CB's, First Aid kits, Fire Extinguisher, etc. Something else you might want to consider is a trail rack if you're planning on doing some camping. That would pretty much dry up your $1000 and those are just my ideas...
-D-
-D- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2001, 06:27 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say tires (mud terrain) and at least 3" of suspension lift. You won't be satisfied with 2.5" or less for long. That would probably put you just over $1K depending on the quality you buy.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 06:24 AM   #4
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Chic - I'm in the middle of the same type of situation as missin44. I want to go with a 3 inch lift. You said you werent happy with the 31's? Should I go 32's? I think thats as high as I can go with just the lift kit. Also I heard good things about Dunlop Mud rovers good off road and good on road...
Missin44- I'm basically in the same boat as you , I've decided to go with 3 inch lift, drop transfer case, dropped pitman arm, Tries and rims...the whole thing is about $1,500. I'm also looking for that not too extreme look (for now)
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
Jeep Chic

The 31 10.50 BFG mt's are great off road tires, but, like I said, I wish I would have gone a little bigger, more meat to grab. And right now I have aluminum rims that get pretty marred up on the trail. The AR767's is what I am going to upgrade to next. Going to go with the 8" and mount 32 12.50 BFG MT's or maybe a super swamper, because I do a lot of wheeling.
Also, I have the BDS 2.5" lift that I am selling, and getting the BDS 4". I did not do the 4" first due to having to buy the SYE (slip yoke eliminator) and everything else that goes along with the 4". But all in all, I am VERY happy with the set-up I am running right now, I can go just about anywhere on any trail.
Jeep Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 08:16 AM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Dunlop Mud Rovers have a probably a slightly better grip off road than the BFG mudders. But on the pavement, they totally sucked donkey doodle!
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2001, 08:34 AM   #7
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have to do the SYE? I have heard mixed emotions about dropping your transfer case ...you probably want to go that route cuz of the amount of wheeling you do. I won't be doing that much until I get the 4 banger swapped out. I just need something that will get me to remote locations, I'm a backpacker/mountaineer. Also I'm wondering if i need to get the brake lines extended
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 10-10-2001, 10:07 AM   #8
Tman

Oh, the innocent beauty of being a newbie!
Here is my suggestion:
- mud tires, at least 32" or 33". Don't worry if they rub as long as they don't rub on the road. You'll go taller soon enough. Get friendly with the sawzall...
- 1" body lift, more will give you problems.
- 2.5 - 3" lift, BDS or similar. You can do SOA on this later. The alternative is to get the RE 4.5" Extreme spring under lift and be done with it.
- for the 2.5 - 3 lift get a tcase drop. For the RE 4.5 you'll need an SYE/CV setup.
- Lockers, lockers, lockers !!! You can get Lock-Rights front and back used pretty cheap. They'll drive fine off and on road.
- make some swaybar disconnects and ditch the rear and front trackbars.
Finally learn to drive a little more carefully! The more competent you make your rig the looser it will handle on road! You have to learn to drive it accordingly.

You might be able to do this around $1000 if you get used stuff but don't hold your breath. What are your longterm plans? Where do you plan to wheel?
Unread 10-10-2001, 11:05 AM   #9
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice Tman - where do you go wheeling around here? Your right down the road from me. Im a guide for shenendoah park and part of the mountain rescue group. The only trails I've been on have been out there and frankly I could have done them with my car!!!
04' Dodge Ram

Unread 10-11-2001, 06:38 AM   #10
Tman

Quote:
Originally posted by AtRoPiNe:
Thanks for the advice Tman - where do you go wheeling around here? Your right down the road from me. Im a guide for shenendoah park and part of the mountain rescue group. The only trails I've been on have been out there and frankly I could have done them with my car!!!
Hey, I know what you're talking about. I actually took my wife in there in her (!) Saturn, going in quite a ways till she was too scared and worried about the car. You should've seen the faces of those local boys on big rigs that have passed us on their way out. Anyway, there used to be some powerline trails near Dumfries but they're closed now. My buddy and I are planning some exploring this winter to see if there is any more places close by. Too much development though.

The next best place to go to is the Big Dogs event in Gore, VA. Check out their site for info: www.bigdogsoffroad.com . This is a pay event but well worth it! Beautiful scenery and real rock crawling at all levels from mild to wild.

If you're into mud the Maryland Mudbugs ( www.marylandmudbugs.com ) have their own playground near Crofton, MD. It's a pretty good place if you like to clean slimy red clay off your wehicle for hours. They're a good bunch of guys and it's a good club for beginners.

There is also the Offcamber Crawlers ( www.offcambercrawlers.com ) club in VA. These guys range from beginners to hardcore and also a great club but they mostly wheel in GWNF, Gore and Paragon, PA.

You should really do Big Dogs next year. We can caravan up there, it's tons of fun. Check out my site for some pictures: members.home.net/t.molnar
Unread 10-12-2001, 10:33 AM   #11
Missin44

Thanks Guys .. lots of great ideas. Will let you know how it all ends up.
'92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 spd, OX Locked front, 4:10 gears, BDS 3.5" lift, reverse shackles, Ford 8.8 Limited-slip rear, York OBA, JB Conversions SYE Kit, CV driveshft, Centerforce II clutch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, Skid Row Top Prop, Big Daddy OffRoad Front Bumper, Yokahoma Geolander 32's, Rokmen Riddler differential cover
Missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2001, 07:15 AM   #12
LNDSRK

Sweet others that live in Dale City area! I live down in Dumfries, and just got my Jeep back the other day. Had a little accident and it was in for some repairs. Drop me an email sometime, and perhaps we could get together.

[url=http://www.novajeepers.com]Northern Virginia Jeepers Association[/url]
LNDSRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.