top of head full of carbon 1 inch deep what shoud i do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > top of head full of carbon 1 inch deep what shoud i do

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

top of head full of carbon 1 inch deep what shoud i do

i rplaced my valve cover gasket today and found a very nasty head i just bought the jeep a month ago 2.5 with 122k i got most out with my finger i was told to leave it alone and put seafoam in it run a while and change oil then someone else told me to leave it alone and change the oil every 1k couple times and see if it helps and the valve cover was covered in it too but i cleaned it up real nice. What should i do it runs good but smokes a lil after idleing a while and when it first crank blue smoke thanks for any help

92yjpittman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Carbon 1 inch deep? You need a beer keg full of seafoam.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

its more of a oil sludge instead of carbon
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I were you I'd baby that motor and start saving for a rebuild. I really wouldn't worry about cleaning it out. If it's smoking the motor really needs a rebuild. I wouldn't seafoam it it'll speed up the death of the engine at this point. You'll have trouble with oil leaks and more smoke. Do a compression test. If it's high then seafoam it. If it's low start planning the new engine. The engine was mistreated in the past. It'll probably last a few more years if you just take it easy with the revs and just change the oil every 3 months or 3000 mi.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should of taken a pic of this sludge. I also think if you break the sludge up it might shorten the life of the motor. I know this is true for automatic transmissions. If it were me I would run a quart of Mystery Marvel for a week or so then change the oil and run another quart of MM for 3k miles. It's a roll of the dice but I wouldn't want all that crap in my motor.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The build up of sludgy stuff on top of the head is sometimes due to lots of running without coming up to temperature, lack of oil changes, and stuff like that. It may also be contributing to the smoking by keeping oil flooding in the top.

Even more than changing your oil, CHANGE YOUR FILTER FREQUENTLY. Once that stuff starts breaking up (especially if you use an agent like Seafoam) there will be lots moving down into the pan

Probably won't be a bad idea to drop the pan and clean it out at the same time. I would carefully try to remove what is there in the head paying close attention to the oil drain channels. If you have a wet/dry vac that you don't mind getting dirty you can use that to suck up as much free stuff as possible.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks ithink im just gonna change oil and run it till it blows and drop a 4.3 tbi with 700r4 tranny so it will do good on trail and get decent gas mileage on highway

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.