Tools for the trail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tools for the trail

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 03-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
92unlimited
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Tools for the trail

Hey guys i remember seeing a thread, which I'm sure was on this site, that had a list of tools to take on the trail for common problems/fixes. It was dedicated just to yjs. The list would list what tools where used for specific jobs. Im sure it was this sight but maybe it was a different one. Anybody know what I'm looking for or have a link?

92unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
ttop191
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Look through this thread. Some guys have quite comprehensive lists. Pick and choose from them to suit your needs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...r-jeep-362456/
ttop191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 10:40 PM   #3
92unlimited
1991 YJ Wrangler 

wow lots of stuff in there. bookmarked! it wasn't the exact one was looking for must have been on a different form
92unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor and walk around the jeep. Point to a failure point and pack the tools and spares to replace that part. When you stick your wrenches up there to size them up, give the replacing scenario a run through. Remove the driveshaft or axle shaft or whatever it is so you can become familiar with the process. It's easiest to practice in the garage to be ready for the trail. It's fun to stay indoors and not be wet when you figure out what you need to do when the time may not be ideal. This also gives you an opportune time to do some inspecting of other components and GREASE YOUR JEEP!!!

Experience is the best tool to pack.

Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

"Whiskey is for drinking, Water is for fighting over" - Mark Twain

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Hmm, that's kinda like asking how much is it to buy a red car....
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Do yourself a favor and walk around the jeep. Point to a failure point and pack the tools and spares to replace that part. When you stick your wrenches up there to size them up, give the replacing scenario a run through. Remove the driveshaft or axle shaft or whatever it is so you can become familiar with the process. It's easiest to practice in the garage to be ready for the trail. It's fun to stay indoors and not be wet when you figure out what you need to do when the time may not be ideal. This also gives you an opportune time to do some inspecting of other components and GREASE YOUR JEEP!!!

Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

What he said. I know plenty of guys that carry every tool they own but if something breaks they don't have a part, the knowledge or proper tool to fix it.

Look for things that will stop you dead; hole in the gas tank, broken axle, water pump, belt, hose, hole in the oil pan, broken tie rod end, u joint, etc. Then make sure you have what it takes to fix it or at least get it home.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
StanF
Web Wheeler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
What he said. I know plenty of guys that carry every tool they own but if something breaks they don't have a part, the knowledge or proper tool to fix it.

Look for things that will stop you dead; hole in the gas tank, broken axle, water pump, belt, hose, hole in the oil pan, broken tie rod end, u joint, etc. Then make sure you have what it takes to fix it or at least get it home.
This is the truth - spares are just as important as tools, and take up a bunch more room. Figuring out what spares you can reasonably carry is much more difficult...
Unread 04-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

and to re enforce what was already stated, the best trail fixes start before leaving home. Replace your belts, hoses and water pump before it goes bad. Keep everything greased. Properly solder and secure wiring to prevent failures or shorts.

If you wheel enough you will get into situations that will teach what to bring, or not. A simple spare tire valve stem is the difference between a long day or a quick fix.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post

One of my favorite movies.

Torx bits...get a good set of torx bits,
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
One of my favorite movies.

Torx bits...get a good set of torx bits,
yeah... let me know where I can get that.

I'm now on my 4th torx bit this week. 1 was a real cheapo from amazon (this turned into a spiral), 2 were husky (these just sheared off immediately). The fourth is great neck (haven't tried it yet). I'm thinking of just calling the snap on truck and asking if I can meet him on his route. I guess I'd have to pay the $35 for a T45 Torx socket.

Also, to the original poster. The best thing you can bring on the trail is: a good jeep mechanic in a second jeep. Preferably one that has a full tool set and his own replacement parts that you can borrow.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe they're hit or miss on the right heat treatment or metallurgy but surprisingly I have had great results with both a husky set and two or three HF sets. If those didn't work I would be going for snap on or SK or Armstrong. But they do
Unread 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Torx are a pre-trip maintenance item. Get rid of all torx screws and never screw around with torx on the trail again.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Torx are a pre-trip maintenance item. Get rid of all torx screws and never screw around with torx on the trail again.
Amen!!

Quote:
Unread 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #13
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

One of my idler pulleys came apart, thankfully it happened just as I entered camp after an 80 mile desert run. I replaced both pulleys and the belt since I had to loosen everything up. I now have an extra pulley and spare belt, is there something else I should carry for the belt and pulley system? Seems there are a lot of pulleys, all of which need to work to keep running.
Unread 04-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #14
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You could also consider everything that can be wrecked when something breaks. Usually the carnage is far beyond just that specific part failing.

Quote:
Unread 04-02-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.