Took steering column apart, still can not figure out hi beam switch! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Took steering column apart, still can not figure out hi beam switch!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Took steering column apart, still can not figure out hi beam switch!

OK so I am slightly starting to regret volunteering to fix my friends 95 YJ because there was issues in the steering column. On the plus side, I have never taken a GM column apart and it only gets easier with practice!

Anyways, his headlight switch and horn did not work. The headlight switch worked when I pressed, so I thought the rod was misaligned. The spring loaded button on the turn signal cam was also broken. oh, and you could start the Jeep without a key! Not good because he is living in DC next year.

-The new turn signal cam did not come with the spring and pin, is that normal? Guess it just transfers over?

-Is it easy/possible to transfer the guts from the old lock cylinder over to the new one? Would like to keep the same key, but this is just something I have never done.

Is that rod just supposed to sit in that hole? How does the hi beam switch STAY on, only acts as a momentary switch when I activate it by hand.

Just kinda jammed in there. Have a new turn switch and wiper switch going in since the old ones looked original. Also picked up a new delco ignition switch because I read these fail randomly. I took the column to dash mount bracket off, but should I take the firewall bracket off too? Does not seem to go low enough.

Thank you for the help!

austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The rod sits in that hole and the switch is in the box there activated by the rod. If it's not staying on, you need to adjust the switch up some (toward the wheel). Here are a link I've used in the past to help tear into the column......

HERE

I had several more links, but they're all apparently dead now. I'll shoot you a PM as well.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man, write ups like that always help. Found this great video aswell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsIWG-hRfy0

My question is should the hi beam switch stay on when I press it by hand, or is it held on by the rod connected to the wiper switch? If it switch has an internal lock, its broken too.

Found this crazy detailed assembly of a GM column for a fierro! http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

pictures of the hi beam switch rod around page 40-45. A little different then the YJ of course, but close enough that I think I can figure it out now. I will loosen the high beam switch and ignition switch to adjust last. Ill post some pictures when its done!
Unread 07-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The link you posted above I have used several times to tear into my column. Yes to removing the shroud around the steering column where it goes thru the firewall, that allows a ton of extra room/drop to the entire column, just on final reassembly, make sure you didn't pull anything loose in the shaft on the engine side. I have an ignition switch thread in the FAQ with some photos if those could be helpful.
I am thinking that the high beam switch has an internal lock in it as you describe, and you need to "unclick" it to turn off the high beams. I will have to defer to some other input though. You could likely go get the part at the parts place and play with it a bit and figure that part out. Anyone have any insight on this?

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
The link you posted above I have used several times to tear into my column. Yes to removing the shroud around the steering column where it goes thru the firewall, that allows a ton of extra room/drop to the entire column, just on final reassembly, make sure you didn't pull anything loose in the shaft on the engine side. I have an ignition switch thread in the FAQ with some photos if those could be helpful.
I am thinking that the high beam switch has an internal lock in it as you describe, and you need to "unclick" it to turn off the high beams. I will have to defer to some other input though. You could likely go get the part at the parts place and play with it a bit and figure that part out. Anyone have any insight on this?
Yes I really think you are correct. I am going to hold off on that since thats the only electric piece I dont have, and it can be removed with the rest of the column reinstalled. Could be possible that I was not pressing it hard enough when I tested it with the column still together.

Ill go ahead and take that column shroud off!

EDIT: Man this is gold! Thanks for taking the time to do that!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...witch-1226376/
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK so i ended up just pulling the steering column. getting the wires through the column have turned into the biggest headache of this entire project! I got the turn signal harness through, but it took a lot of force. Now I can NOT get the wiper harness through for the life of me! Does that stupid piece of plastic come off?? Sorry its hot and im frustrated!

wrapped in tape, and taped some wire to it. This method barley worked for the first harness, now no matter how hard I pull it does not move farther then half way down...

Just for reference, the turn signal cam spring loaded button does transfer over. They really should include this in the new one, i had almost lost it!

Ordered a ignition switch for a 1995 YJ and its the wrong one. Anyone know the right part number?!!!!!!!!'

Finally got new ignition switch installed. The one in there worked, but it was original.

Any info at all on the wire harness and ignition cylinder is appreciated.
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As for the hi beams, yes the switch itself will stay on, there's nothing to hold the rod down keeping it on. If it's not doing that you need to replace the switch.

The link you posted above is the link to the PDF I was going to email you, so no need for that now.
Unread 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
As for the hi beams, yes the switch itself will stay on, there's nothing to hold the rod down keeping it on. If it's not doing that you need to replace the switch.

The link you posted above is the link to the PDF I was going to email you, so no need for that now.
Yes I actually confirmed that the switch was good. was not pressing hard enough before.

Any idea on getting the harness through the column? I am pretty much stuck right now. Everything I have read barley mentions it, so I must be doing something totally wrong!

Thanks!
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK well I stepped away from the column for a bit because I was going to break something. I got the wiper harness through with a bit of wire, you really have to wiggle it around because it seems it only fits through one way. Getting the wires through is most definitely the biggest PITA of the entire job, and I highly recommend pulling the steering shaft bolt and taking the column out of the Jeep.

I reinstalled the old ignition cylinder even though it is so worn out it works without the key. The ignition switch was really easy to adjust and you can feel it in the key when it is right. However, I am still very confused by the high beam switch rod. Where the heck does it attach? I installed the stalk and every function seams to engage properly except hi beam.

Unread 07-12-2014, 12:38 AM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take a close look at pages 25, 26 etc of the Jazzman article you posted up earlier. It shows how this goes together, and he shows a lot of detail as this is a tricky part of the assembly.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Take a close look at pages 25, 26 etc of the Jazzman article you posted up earlier. It shows how this goes together, and he shows a lot of detail as this is a tricky part of the assembly.
That's the best advice. It's kind of a pain, but can certainly be done with enough patience.
Unread 07-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I consider myself a pretty proficient Jeep mechanic, and I still can not get this rod lined up. Possible that its bent? Well I guess anything is possible, but common at all? I guess I have to pull the pins out of the tilt mechanism to get the rod out of the column.

I imagine the rod is supposed to move up and down freely (when the wiper switch is not installed) so it can push the hi beam switch. It just does not move that freely. I even squirted a bit of white lithium where it slides through that hole in the upper aluminum tilt assembly. Hard to have patience when I job im not getting paid for takes twice as long!
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is one more picture. Just will not go together.

Unread 07-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...embly-1222949/

Looking at this thread, am I missing the little black plastic piece pictured next to the wiper switch shroud? Thanks
Unread 07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Ikeeg

Guys I took off my steering wheel, and I removed the bolts trying to remove the shroud. I was trying to replace the ignition switch. Well it didn't happen. Problem is not that I tried putting it all back together, I can't seem to get it to go in straight. The bolts that hold the steering into the steering column down seem to line up. (Stupid question) Do the tires have to remain straight? What am I looking for that I can't see? Please, any advice will help. Thanks!
Ikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.