Took out seat belts and cant get them to pull back out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Took out seat belts and cant get them to pull back out

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
stacy1993joop
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Took out seat belts and cant get them to pull back out

I took out the rear seat belt and it retracted. Now it won't release so I can mount them back in. Can someone tell me the trick to getting them to release? Is there a button? Is it ground? Pressure switch? Help.

stacy1993joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I found this using search, might help.

"What happened to your seat belt is called "Webbing Over-pack" this occurs when to much seat belt webbing is "Packed" or stowed onto the seat belt spool and the sensor lever is engaged into the clutch gear. The clutch gear and webbing spool, then can't rotate backward (retract) to allow the sensor lever to release, causing the belt to remain locked. The best way to fix this condition is to pull on the webbing, as to extract webbing out of the retractor, this needs to be done with all of your might! After you pull on the belt slowly release to let the webbing spool in (retract) maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" this should release the sensor lever and your belt should extract and retract normally".

What does this do? It takes the webbing and tightens it up on the spool in effect making the spool and webbing diameter smaller this allows the spool to rotate backwards and releases the sensor lever.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
stacy1993joop
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for that info,
I did search for seat belts, seat belt problems, removal, instal and even just seats. but again thanks.

what i did find is that is must have something to do with the mounting bolt because when i unbolted the top bolt so i could get the bottom bolt back in and started the bottom bolt it released the belt, so im thinking it might have to do with having a ground on it or something like that. not sure just what has happened to me and thought i would share my experience. Others might chime in with what is going on with it.
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
kenh
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had to replace my driver's side seat belt not too long ago, and the replacement one wouldn't pull out at all, so the person I bought it from sent me a .pdf with instructions on how to get it pulled out. I can't guarantee it'll be exactly the same, but I can try to upload the .pdf or email it to you or something if you want.
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
stacy1993joop
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh View Post
I had to replace my driver's side seat belt not too long ago, and the replacement one wouldn't pull out at all, so the person I bought it from sent me a .pdf with instructions on how to get it pulled out. I can't guarantee it'll be exactly the same, but I can try to upload the .pdf or email it to you or something if you want.
thanks Kenh but i got mine to retract by just putting the bottom bolt in first and that released the belt and allowed me to pull the belt up to hook up the top bolt.
Unread 10-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You had probably engaged the inertial stop and pinched it when you bolted it up. glad to see it fixed itself.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have to hold the seat belt perfectly upright and level (as if it was installed) or it will not release.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
stacy1993joop
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian22 View Post
You have to hold the seat belt perfectly upright and level (as if it was installed) or it will not release.
I think your right, I just ordered Bed Liner (black for inside & bright red for outside) and I will report back next week If that works for me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.