Too Much Power Steering Assist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Too Much Power Steering Assist

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
NODEA
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Too Much Power Steering Assist

My 89 YJ 4.2 manual has too much power steering boost. When I am on the highway, there is practically no road feel. Is there some way, preferably simple of course, to decrease the boost? Everything is still stock in the steering department although I have put a 4" lift and larger tires on it.

NODEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can partially slow it down with a steering stabilizer. However I don't think this is a common problem. Quite the contrary actually!
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The 4 inch lift prolly took a ton of positive caster out of the axle. That would make it easier to steer. Offset ball joints might work. You don't really want to rotate the axle (driveline vibes).
MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You can partially slow it down with a steering stabilizer. However I don't think this is a common problem. Quite the contrary actually!
Huh.
That's actually how mine feels. Barely move the wheel and it moves in that direction pretty much instantly. Doesn't take much. I feel like I have the same problem. There is like, zero resistance in the steering wheel. I figured it was just a yj thing.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's odd, mine is opposite. Totally stock, no lift. Seems like I don't even have p/s. I thought my steering was a YJ thing!
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.