Too many puddles..rough starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Too many puddles..rough starting

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Corvo838

Too many puddles..rough starting

Hey guys, so in a recent rainstorm I couldnt resist but to turn towards massive puddles. I was hitting puddles like a foot deep or so. Then I came to a stop and when giving her gas to get going it was putting out and then getting sudden acceleration until I shifted and then similar putting then acceleration. I got to a gas station and it wouldnt turn over when trying to. Sat there 20 minutes just thinking then tried again and she turned over barely. Kind of was just going blub blub blub for 10 seconds then fired up. Now when I turn it over it has a rough start (as it barely starts). I also get a good wiff of gas and if I hit the gas when shes idleing it hesitates before reving up. Any ideas folks?

Corvo838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say you probably got water in the distributor cap. Take it off and shoot some *i think Wd-40* in there and see what happens.
Unread 06-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the waterlogged airfilter
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Corvo838

I replaced distributor cap, rotor and wires and still am having the same problem. It has been turning over now but it is one ugly start and if I hit the gas hard it will hesitate and sputter. After it happened I checked if the air filter was wet and it was dry as a bone.
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the plugs and clean them as well as the air filter as recommended above. Don't forget to clean the plug wire boots at both ends.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Jstout724
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Might be a long shot, but ya might of got some water in your gas (maybe disconnected rollover valve or leaking tank seal) ... or perhaps in your charcoal canister. Maybe check that guy out, easy to pull out. Otherwise i'd run some seafoam or heet through it just in case, a cheap fix if so.
Jstout724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Pull the plugs and clean them as well as the air filter as recommended above. Don't forget to clean the plug wire boots at both ends.
A liberal amount of dielectric grease will keep water out.
Unread 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Corvo838

Found out the problem when checking for spark. Coil pack was not putting out nearly enough. Took it off and popped in a new one. Old coil pack was split right down the bottom. Problem fixed and runs great. Thanks people

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.