TJ uppers on a YJ with soft top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ uppers on a YJ with soft top?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

TJ uppers on a YJ with soft top?

Hey guys, I've seen this discussed a lot about using TJ uppers with a hardtop but I couldn't find anything about a softop. I need to replace my uppers and I found some TJ ones and need to know if they can be made to work? I have the bestop with the round corners so that should be the same. Thanks for any help!

iflypa28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't c y they wouldn't work. I use tj uppers in mine but I run a frameless style top called a softopper. I gotta say I love the tj uppers, they just work better than the yj ones did, the fit all comes down to ur welding. It's a ver easy job. The front 2pins work the way they r, the third pin closest to back seats/door latch need to b cut off n rewelded. Just cut it off at the turn and then shorten the metal on frame left until it lines up perfect. I also found that if u want a real nice seal, u can go back and take the material off again and heat it up with a torch n bend it so it seals just how u want it. It's almost perfect just from the cut and weld but the areas near the door latch at the top sort of bows a little, so I heated it up and bent it inward slightly.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's good news! I told the guy I would take them. I can defenantly do the welding part. I was mostly concerned about the fit at the windshield and top.
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflypa28
That's good news! I told the guy I would take them. I can defenantly do the welding part. I was mostly concerned about the fit at the windshield and top.
They fit wayyy better at the windshield in my opinion than the yj ones did. No issues with the top part sealing with my top either. The adjustment I did was where the round part of the door is up in that corner.
Unread 01-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ah, ok I got ya. Awesome, I'm excited to see how they work!
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update. I ended up getting some full (two piece) soft TJ doors. The deal was too good to pass up, $125 absolutely brand new on CL. Apparently these uppers are different than the uppers meant to go on the half door so they really wouldn't have worked well at all with the YJ halfs. So I decided to just go for it and fabricate the door latch to a TJ style one so I could use the whole door (and I got super lucky finding a TJ at the junk yard). I ended up doing it in a way that I could swap the YJ striker back in in a few minutes so I could still use those doors too. Ill have to post some pictures tomorrow when the sun comes back around. Anyway thanks for your help, they fit awesome! I probably never would have gone that far if you didn't let me know how happy you were with yours.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflypa28
Just an update. I ended up getting some full (two piece) soft TJ doors. The deal was too good to pass up, $125 absolutely brand new on CL. Apparently these uppers are different than the uppers meant to go on the half door so they really wouldn't have worked well at all with the YJ halfs. So I decided to just go for it and fabricate the door latch to a TJ style one so I could use the whole door (and I got super lucky finding a TJ at the junk yard). I ended up doing it in a way that I could swap the YJ striker back in in a few minutes so I could still use those doors too. Ill have to post some pictures tomorrow when the sun comes back around. Anyway thanks for your help, they fit awesome! I probably never would have gone that far if you didn't let me know how happy you were with yours.
Awesome man, sorta wish I head the lower tj doors now too. It'll b interesting to see how they work out for ya. My lower half doors r beat....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.