tj uppers on yj half doors with hard top INSTALLATION - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tj uppers on yj half doors with hard top INSTALLATION

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

tj uppers on yj half doors with hard top INSTALLATION

Its all in quotes because i decided to move the thread and delete the old one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
so i got a hard top from a friend in return for a stereo set up but my full steel doors are total **** and they arent even for a wrangler... but i did have a set of half doors so i decided to get some tj uppers and see how i can make it work

here are the upper tj frames from Rampage. ive had issues with their quality stuff in the past but these seem really sturdy, and i dont feel bad cutting them up

and here are the upper windows from smittybuilt (also kind of cheap since i didnt know if this would work) if i end up loving the tj uppers i may buy nicer parts in the future but for now these work

and here is one mounted. they are EXTREMELY tight to get on but thats standard and now i know they wont flap.
you can also see that they they don't sit all the way down on the doors due to the final pin not lining up

here you can see the position of the last pin verses the other pins

and here is how well the tj upper fits in the hard top opening. i did un bolt my hard top and push it back as far as i could then i bolted it back in to make room

Quote:
ok so here goes the modification, unfortunately i wasn't able to finish tonight because the welder is buried in the other garage since the we are re doing the shop

so first you have to cut the furthest pin back off before the 90 degree bend

and this is how it will be welded back on so that the upper sits correctly

but even without that back pin you can see that it sits nicely in there

this is the only spot that has a gap which is due to the lack of a rear pin

i drove it around anyway though and the doors work great, they are totally silent and dont flap at all. also i cant feel any air coming from anywhere

this is deff near the top of my favorite cheap mod list

and for those curious as to why i have no garage right now

floor

Quote:
finished product

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks ripper, I am in the process of fitting a tj soft top on my yj, and this is the first step. I knew I could make it work, but now I know exactly what to expect when my uppers come in tomorrow! Appreciate all the pics!
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Thanks ripper, I am in the process of fitting a tj soft top on my yj, and this is the first step. I knew I could make it work, but now I know exactly what to expect when my uppers come in tomorrow! Appreciate all the pics!
No prob, glad someone finally used it lol. I love my uppers, 200x better than my rusted out full doors
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How tight is tvs closure of the door. I have mine on and I've got to slam the door. I need to bend the uppers a bit I think
Unread 12-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have to slam my door as well but thats a different problem. my strikers are bent back and up so it doesnt line up on the door lol
RC vs BDS
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

On the windshield frame do you have the bolt on plastic piece? Or is that a soft top only part?
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

No need for the plastic pieces

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe removing them will fix my alignment issues
Unread 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lilviper... What challenges did you face adapting the the lj top to your yj?

I've tried looking at your thread a couple of times... But all the pics come up unavailable so it's really hard to scan through to find where you put the top on. I'm not sure if the pic problem is on your end or mine... But I can't see any of them. Shame cause I would really like to read through your whole thread.

Main thing I'm wondering about is the windshield frame attachment... How well did that fit? Did you use a stock yj channel or a tj one in some way?
Unread 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdij View Post
Lilviper... What challenges did you face adapting the the lj top to your yj?

I've tried looking at your thread a couple of times... But all the pics come up unavailable so it's really hard to scan through to find where you put the top on. I'm not sure if the pic problem is on your end or mine... But I can't see any of them. Shame cause I would really like to read through your whole thread.

Main thing I'm wondering about is the windshield frame attachment... How well did that fit? Did you use a stock yj channel or a tj one in some way?
weird, I just tried 2 different devices and pics worked fine on both for me. I am going to be switching all the pics around in the next couple of weeks. I have been using webshots for all my hosting since we-todd-did-racing went down years ago. Webshots is changing their format and I need to move all the pics over to Photobucket and relink them.

For me the biggest challenge was figuring out how to make the TJ door surrounds line up properly. What I ended up doing was make a hybrid TJ/YJ spreader bar. I did this by cutting off the windshield frame mount from each spreader bar. I bolted the YJ spreader to the ws frame and then bolted the TJ spreader to the bar. I used a pair of hard doors to line up the fitment of the door surround. I then tacked the TJ spreader to the YJ bracket. Removed from the jeep and welded it up.

As far as attaching at the ws frame it was quite easy. I removed the YJ channel from the ws frame. I picked up the rubber seal that goes on the top of the ws frame. I got mine at a local junk yard, by being able to remove it from the Jeep I got a good idea of how to make it fit. Basically the vertical piece of the ws frame (where you would screw the hard top to) needs to be trimmed on either side. You can use the rubber to get a good idea of how this needs to be done. Once trimmed you simple slide the seal into place. I then used a 4" cut off disc to trim some holes in the frame for the clams to attach to that hold the top down.

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's been a couple weeks since the last time i tried. My Internet is currently down so I'm limited to my phone or I would check. Haven't ever tried on my phone but your thread is a bit long for a read thru using the phone.

I'm not worried about the spreader bar, as the front of my cage is about to be custom. I take it you used an lj cage?

Interesting... You used the tj/lj windshield mount. That is encouraging. I feel like I would rather just use a yj one... But I could tell it would have a slightly different fit to it. I am happy to hear adapting the windshield frame to fit the tj one doesn't seem unreasonably hard.

Now I just need to decide on the top... Thinking rampage or softopper Bowless tops. If the yj windshield frame is easily adaptable to fit the tj header that would open up the best top trektop option as well... Which would give me their sunrider option as well.

Need to get my front cage done so I can make this happen!

Thanks for the info!
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am going to have to give this a try. I am tired of the hard doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I am going to have to give this a try. I am tired of the hard doors.
Im the opposite I have the tj uppers with yj hardtop. Came that way when I bought the jeep. I want hard doors for my yj. My tj upper on driver side zipper crapped out a month ago and this is the 2nd tj upper I replace on that side.
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i dislike rampage soft tops, mine's frame was cheap and flimsy and the fabric started ripping around the windshield in the first mont
RC vs BDS
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
tdij
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking at their bowless one... I wouldn't ever go with a bowed top, so the cheap frame doesn't apply.

I have numerous friends with Rampage bowless one on their TJ's. I like it a lot by design... however the windows on the one that has had it a few years might as well not be there... cause you can't see out of them at all.

I had a softopper bowless top on my YJ until I rolled it. I loved it, but it lacked the quality seals that the rampage TJ tops have. I think that is more of a YJ thing than a rampage/softopper thing, so I am planning on modifying for a TJ top. I am definitely considering Softopper again in TJ form, as the seals should be better with the TJ door surrounds, and the fact that the top seals around the rear corners of the tub (YJ version doesn't). I'll probably go visit softopper as I live close to them, and see if they have a TJ for me to see... to make sure it seals better. As far as YJ tops go it was an excellent top, held up really well, and windows didn't deteriorate like rampage. I would recommend it to anyone.

Being able to use the TJ header would allow me to use the Bestop Trek Top NX, and although it would likely be harder to rig up on my YJ than the others, it would have the sunrider feature that would be really neat. It's also the only one that comes with door surrounds, header bar and rear window bar/latch, so that would save me sourcing those parts.

Although I really like the rampage bowless top design, I am leaning in other directions due to the longevity concerns.

Ultimately... bowless is the only way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.