TJ transfer case to YJ problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ transfer case to YJ problem.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

TJ transfer case to YJ problem.

I went to swap out my TX case last night and it won't engage completely. They are both 23 spline 231's, but the TJ case has a ring ahead of the input shaft splines that keep the AX-15 output shaft from fully engaging the 231 input shaft by about .75". Anyone ever encounter this? What do I need to do to make it work? Another input shaft?

I've never torn into a transfer case, but I've got a work bench and I'm not afraid to use it.

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Take a pic and post up. Here is what my old one looks like. It's a 23 spline.
np231.jpg  

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The red tube points to the offending piece behind the splines. The other pic shows how the piece had a smaller ID than the splines. By looking at an exploded view, it might be a bearing. I'm not certain though, as I've never had one of these apart.
231a.jpg   231b.jpg  
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a pic of the original TX case...it's in the Jeep.
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does not have that. This picture sucks but I just looked at it. You may need to swap input gears. I don't think it's that bad. Maybe the tranny was a New Venture on the TJ?
0504131515.jpg  

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's how the original looks. Any tricks to changing out the input shaft?

Also, the case casting numbers are both the same.
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't see that on mine but then again it had a teralow.
Unread 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
That's how the original looks. Any tricks to changing out the input shaft?

Also, the case casting numbers are both the same.
Get some good lock ring pliers! I went to sears and bought theirs and have done three cases now. The hf pair I had could not do one case. The sears I consider barely sufficient, but they do work.

Crack the case in half and pay attention as you pull things apart in order to remember how it goes back together. If you have any kind of me mechanical ability it really is pretty simple.

I can't remember the exact steps, but you will see what you need to do as you go along. Swap out the inputs and then reassemble. I can't remember if the planetary gear in the stock 231 is serviceable or not. If you have to take the input out of the planetary make sure it is clocked correctly (this may not apply on a 231) I only mention it because of my Tera low it was an issue for me. Tera flex has a good video on YouTube if you have to take it apart, watch the video first, it will help keep the gears aligned. Basically they just tell you to zip tie the planetary gears in place together.

Good luck, you will be fine. I think its kind of fun actually.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Will do in the pliers. Thanks!
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have a pic of the rear of an AX-15 output shaft? More specifically, how far in can the input gear go? I found a donor 233 TC with the right input gear, but the shaft portion protruding is about 1/2" or so longer than the shorter shaft. I need to know if I have enough clearance inside the tranny to accommodate the longer input gear shaft. I don't want to take it all apart to find out it doesn't work and have to put it all together again.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #11
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I swapped input planetary sets a few months ago, myfirsttime tearing into a 231. It was actually pretty easy. Pay attention to all the parts and pieces. I layed them out in the order they came out and cleaned everything. I did it on the floor of the garage and used a big piece of cardboard layed out. Worst part was the snap rings as previously stated.

Feel free to ht us up for any help or questions.
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I basically need the compatibility of the longer input gear shaft with my AX-15. If they will work together (same number of splines, just longer), I can swap them out.

The later 233 is an electronically switched 231 is the only difference. I won't be using that switch, obviously.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.