post #1 of Old 11-02-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
bpeelen
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sheldon
Posts: 28
TJ Roll bar into a YJ?

I have been lurking here for about a year and decided to join.

I have a 89 wrangler that I purchased a family roll bar for. I was told it was from a YJ when I bought it about a year ago. I even had it powder coated and cleaned up. Now today, I went to put it in and noticed the mounts are all wrong on this roll bar. It looks like they guy I bought it from in lied to me and this one is from a TJ.

Anyone have any suggestions?

bpeelen is offline  
post #2 of Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Hoxie
Veritas Aequitas
 
Hoxie's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boise
Posts: 1,155
Any pictures? If it is from a TJ the swap is doable but it will take some work. My opinion its not worth it, I'd add to your current sport bar.

Oh and !
Hoxie is offline  
post #3 of Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
bpeelen
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sheldon
Posts: 28
Looking at pics online, it looks like it has the same mounts as a TJ bar. I ride around with my 3 and 4 year old in the back of the jeep a lot and would feel better with a roll bar that covered them as well. That is why I am looking to swap in a family bar. IT does look like I could modify it but it looks like I would be better off getting a YJ bar for it even though I got $250 into this one between powder coating and purchase.
bpeelen is offline  
post #4 of Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeelen
Looking at pics online, it looks like it has the same mounts as a TJ bar. I ride around with my 3 and 4 year old in the back of the jeep a lot and would feel better with a roll bar that covered them as well. That is why I am looking to swap in a family bar. IT does look like I could modify it but it looks like I would be better off getting a YJ bar for it even though I got $250 into this one between powder coating and purchase.
Jeeptubes makes a rear cage addition for the 87-91 sport bar. It's pretty cheap also I am going to pick one up for mine and a few other bars to build off the stock bar. Then get a front addition.

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #5 of Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM
BrandonYJReed
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Essington
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Jeeptubes makes a rear cage addition for the 87-91 sport bar. It's pretty cheap also I am going to pick one up for mine and a few other bars to build off the stock bar. Then get a front addition.
Sorry to jack the thread, but do you know if those add-ons are different from the stock family bar? Cause I'd like to run a frameless top on mine.

-1990 YJ, 2.5L, AX-15, lifted, locked, on 35's.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline  
post #6 of Old 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed
Sorry to jack the thread, but do you know if those add-ons are different from the stock family bar? Cause I'd like to run a frameless top on mine.
The tubes are bent to convert the sport bar to the family bar.

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #7 of Old 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM
BrandonYJReed
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Essington
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
The tubes are bent to convert the sport bar to the family bar.
Yeah I was just wondering if it made it the same dimension as the family bar since it is aftermarket i wasn't sure. I assume with that you keep the sport bars still?

-1990 YJ, 2.5L, AX-15, lifted, locked, on 35's.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline  
post #8 of Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed
Yeah I was just wondering if it made it the same dimension as the family bar since it is aftermarket i wasn't sure. I assume with that you keep the sport bars still?
The bars are bent to follow the factory lines but they are cut long so you can customize them to your needs.

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #9 of Old 11-03-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
bpeelen
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sheldon
Posts: 28
With this aftermarket option, do you cut off the current angled bars and replace with the new pieces?
bpeelen is offline  
post #10 of Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeelen View Post
With this aftermarket option, do you cut off the current angled bars and replace with the new pieces?
No they stay, the new bar welds to the top of the main hoop and down at the foot of the angled bar where it mets the tub




http://www.jeeptubes.com/shop

They run 110 for a pair, I am really thinking about buy this and a streamer bar with some spreaders for the main hoop to the streamer for my YJ then a front half from More or atoz

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #11 of Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
bpeelen
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sheldon
Posts: 28
I like the idea of gaining some room on the fender well for security boxes by converting to the sport bar, can the new pipes be used to replace the old angled bars?
bpeelen is offline  
post #12 of Old 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
skyj
Web Wheeler
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena
Posts: 4,009
I got a tj bar for free and cut the rear portion off and added to my sport bar. Then I added a bar between them. I got a lot more to do but its a start.


In stock form the YJ/TJ family bars wont really do much to protect your children they would just fold in and crush them. I plan to triangulate mine more and add some frame tie-ins then I will trust it more for protection. Until then I'm very cautious with my kids on trail rides.

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is online now  
post #13 of Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 9,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj
I got a tj bar for free and cut the rear portion off and added to my sport bar. Then I added a bar between them. I got a lot more to do but its a start. In stock form the YJ/TJ family bars wont really do much to protect your children they would just fold in and crush them. I plan to triangulate mine more and add some frame tie-ins then I will trust it more for protection. Until then I'm very cautious with my kids on trail rides.
Skyj that is what I want todo to my Sportbar. But I would add some stringers from the main hoop to the streamer on some 45* angles for more triangulation and gusset every 90 and 45 degree joint

'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is offline  
post #14 of Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Siva283
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Falling Waters
Posts: 3,742
The TJ bar is not hard to make fit. With it you can move to the much nicer tj top with minimal mods. Search the forum there are a few threads on it. It is on my list my very very long list.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome