TJ Roll bar into a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Roll bar into a YJ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TJ Roll bar into a YJ?

I have been lurking here for about a year and decided to join.

I have a 89 wrangler that I purchased a family roll bar for. I was told it was from a YJ when I bought it about a year ago. I even had it powder coated and cleaned up. Now today, I went to put it in and noticed the mounts are all wrong on this roll bar. It looks like they guy I bought it from in lied to me and this one is from a TJ.

Anyone have any suggestions?

bpeelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
SH00T3R
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Any pictures? If it is from a TJ the swap is doable but it will take some work. My opinion its not worth it, I'd add to your current sport bar.

Oh and !

”When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.”
SH00T3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking at pics online, it looks like it has the same mounts as a TJ bar. I ride around with my 3 and 4 year old in the back of the jeep a lot and would feel better with a roll bar that covered them as well. That is why I am looking to swap in a family bar. IT does look like I could modify it but it looks like I would be better off getting a YJ bar for it even though I got $250 into this one between powder coating and purchase.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeelen
Looking at pics online, it looks like it has the same mounts as a TJ bar. I ride around with my 3 and 4 year old in the back of the jeep a lot and would feel better with a roll bar that covered them as well. That is why I am looking to swap in a family bar. IT does look like I could modify it but it looks like I would be better off getting a YJ bar for it even though I got $250 into this one between powder coating and purchase.
Jeeptubes makes a rear cage addition for the 87-91 sport bar. It's pretty cheap also I am going to pick one up for mine and a few other bars to build off the stock bar. Then get a front addition.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
BrandonYJReed

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Jeeptubes makes a rear cage addition for the 87-91 sport bar. It's pretty cheap also I am going to pick one up for mine and a few other bars to build off the stock bar. Then get a front addition.
Sorry to jack the thread, but do you know if those add-ons are different from the stock family bar? Cause I'd like to run a frameless top on mine.

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed
Sorry to jack the thread, but do you know if those add-ons are different from the stock family bar? Cause I'd like to run a frameless top on mine.
The tubes are bent to convert the sport bar to the family bar.
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
BrandonYJReed

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
The tubes are bent to convert the sport bar to the family bar.
Yeah I was just wondering if it made it the same dimension as the family bar since it is aftermarket i wasn't sure. I assume with that you keep the sport bars still?

-1999 XJ, 4.0, AW4, lifted 4.5", JK Rubi take offs.
BrandonYJReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonYJReed
Yeah I was just wondering if it made it the same dimension as the family bar since it is aftermarket i wasn't sure. I assume with that you keep the sport bars still?
The bars are bent to follow the factory lines but they are cut long so you can customize them to your needs.
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

With this aftermarket option, do you cut off the current angled bars and replace with the new pieces?
Unread 11-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeelen View Post
With this aftermarket option, do you cut off the current angled bars and replace with the new pieces?
No they stay, the new bar welds to the top of the main hoop and down at the foot of the angled bar where it mets the tub

http://www.jeeptubes.com/shop

They run 110 for a pair, I am really thinking about buy this and a streamer bar with some spreaders for the main hoop to the streamer for my YJ then a front half from More or atoz
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
bpeelen
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of gaining some room on the fender well for security boxes by converting to the sport bar, can the new pipes be used to replace the old angled bars?
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got a tj bar for free and cut the rear portion off and added to my sport bar. Then I added a bar between them. I got a lot more to do but its a start.

In stock form the YJ/TJ family bars wont really do much to protect your children they would just fold in and crush them. I plan to triangulate mine more and add some frame tie-ins then I will trust it more for protection. Until then I'm very cautious with my kids on trail rides.
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj
I got a tj bar for free and cut the rear portion off and added to my sport bar. Then I added a bar between them. I got a lot more to do but its a start. In stock form the YJ/TJ family bars wont really do much to protect your children they would just fold in and crush them. I plan to triangulate mine more and add some frame tie-ins then I will trust it more for protection. Until then I'm very cautious with my kids on trail rides.
Skyj that is what I want todo to my Sportbar. But I would add some stringers from the main hoop to the streamer on some 45* angles for more triangulation and gusset every 90 and 45 degree joint
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The TJ bar is not hard to make fit. With it you can move to the much nicer tj top with minimal mods. Search the forum there are a few threads on it. It is on my list my very very long list.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.