TJ Pro Comp MX6 shocks in a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ Pro Comp MX6 shocks in a YJ?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

TJ Pro Comp MX6 shocks in a YJ?

I have a chance to pick up a set of slightly used Pro Comp MX6 adjustable rear shocks that came out of a TJ with a 4" lift. Any reason these shocks wouldn't work with a '94 YJ running 3.5" Fabtech springs and 1/2" boom shackles?

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its an easy answer. If the measurements of the collapsed and extended lengths match up with the measurements you need for extended and collapsed length and the mounting points are the same type then go for it.
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Haha, not such an easy answer when I'm stuck at work and no way to measure!!
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Its pro comp. if its free it may be worth installing. If not, don't spend any money.
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I spoke with Pro Comp today, and was told the only real difference between the YJ and TJ version of the MX6 (for a 4" lift) is the TJ shock is approximately 1" shorter when fully extended. I was also told that unless I was going airborne on a regular basis, I should be good to go using the TJ shock. Plus, since I am building an 8.8 for this Jeep, can't I simply relocate the axle shock hoops 1" to offset the difference in length?
Unread 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Most guys who install the 8.8 run the lower shock mouts flush with the centerline of the tube as to not drag. There are a few options to fix it for relatively cheap though. Go ahead and grab the shocks.
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Its pro comp. if its free it may be worth installing. If not, don't spend any money.
Actually, the MX6's are good shocks IMO. They made my junk ride better than it ever had and they work well off road. Not so sure about the other standard ones, but the MX6's are good bang for the buck when on sale.
Also not a fan of the Ranchos... they sucked on the Jeep and they now suk on my truck.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #8
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to mounting the shocks, they certainly have to be better than the 19yr old stock shocks! Now, I just need to find a decent set of shocks for the front, and my lift kit will be complete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.