Tj owner looking for some yj advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tj owner looking for some yj advice

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
djmiani
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tj owner looking for some yj advice

I went and drove this yj: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3828667268.html

The owner is the second owner and extremely knowledgable about the history and modifications to the jeep. The axles are stock (probably why the transmission has been rebuilt with the V8). This would be my project jeep. Is it a good deal?
Thanks

djmiani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here is what I see :

Stock Axles + V8 = Asking for trouble

Dana 35 + 35" Tires = Time Bomb

I see a T Case drop Most people ditch them with SYE's so that raises a question wether they had installed proper length drive shafts.

Stock Steering on SOA A Properly setup SOA conversion should have a Highsteer setup

I don't see a Traction Bar on the rear so Wheel hop may be an issue

Over Priced

I personally would avoid it !

The only thing I like about it is the BFG Krawler's
Unread 06-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
djmiani
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
Here is what I see :

Stock Axles + V8 = Asking for trouble

Dana 35 + 35" Tires = Time Bomb

I see a T Case drop Most people ditch them with SYE's so that raises a question wether they had installed proper length drive shafts.

Stock Steering on SOA A Properly setup SOA conversion should have a Highsteer setup

I don't see a Traction Bar on the rear so Wheel hop may be an issue

Over Priced

I personally would avoid it !

The only thing I like about it is the BFG Krawler's
I offered him 5. I have the same sentiment about the tire, engine, axle combo. He had the soa done by a reputable place here in Virginia beach and told me he just had the drive shafts rebuilt. I too noticed the stock steering. Of course, axles were next on the mod list, but he never got to it.
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

When I lived on the east coast I saw plenty of stuff built in shops around VA Beach, Some of that stuff was sketchy
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you buy it, plan on swapping in an 8.8. If you cant do the work yourself, set aside probably 1000-1200 for a decent shop to do it. More if you add a locker. You can have them remove the TC drop when they swap the rear and set your pinion angle.
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
djmiani
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am also looking into this 95. It is a little more complete. How about the mileage: should I be concerned? I talked him down to 6500
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3859140261.html
Thanks
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
mrdeath2000
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Things to consider. the one with a trailer is regeared and has the 4cyl, find out what rear end. Also, it's a stick, are you ok with that? What kind of wheeling do you plan to do? Carbs are not so good for long steep hills so the 4cyl could be ok.

The other one has a v8 which is nice, but carbed, and its an auto. Is that a 3spd auto or does it have overdrive?
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
djmiani
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeath2000
Things to consider. the one with a trailer is regeared and has the 4cyl, find out what rear end. Also, it's a stick, are you ok with that? What kind of wheeling do you plan to do? Carbs are not so good for long steep hills so the 4cyl could be ok.

The other one has a v8 which is nice, but carbed, and its an auto. Is that a 3spd auto or does it have overdrive?
The rear end is a stock 35, stick is fine, don't know about the overdrive, this would start out as a mall crawler (I know), and no hills here in southeast VA. This would never see the highway except for the drive home after the purchase. I am most concerned about the mileage and if the price is right. Going to see it tomorrow.
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

117K is nothing. I have 180k on my 95' rio and she runs like a champ.

Tires no bueno on the d35 on either one imho.

6500 is high imho but it looks really nice.
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

That mileage isn't bad the 2.5 can go just as many miles as the 4.0 it's a little workhorse. I've owned 2 jeeps with the 2.5l. My 95 YJ had 4.88's and 35's but I swapped in a D44 rear when I blew up my 2nd d35. The Yj ran like new and it had 187,000 miles on it when I drove it to Texas from Maryland while hauling a small enclosed trailer with my stuff when I was moving. Was it fast no would it do the speed limit barley.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.