TJ long arm suspension on YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ long arm suspension on YJ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
wordo30
1989 YJ Wrangler 

TJ long arm suspension on YJ?

Has anyone tried to put a long arm suspension from a tj on a yj. the reason that i am saying this is that when you get the long arm suspensions it comes with the mounting plates for the fourlink bars where it mounts to the frame. i was wondering if the frames were about the same widths where the arms would mount. because would it be that hard to just make the mounts for the springs shocks and arms. do you think this is possible or wouldnt be too hard. i was looking at the rough country long arm kit for $1600 and then i was going to buy some spring perches and then make my own brackets for where the four link bars mount. this is just an idea that i got in my head and i am wondering if this could possibly work. but it all depends on how the frame is too. i was also pondering the idea of just making my own fourlink bars with hind joints on the ends. let me know if you can think of anything that might help or any suggestions, im open to anything.

wordo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I have no input other than the frames aren't that different dimension wise, I think the tubs are the biggest difference. However, being that you are looking at LA does that mean you feel this suspension set up is better than leaf spring?
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

there is a write up on here of a guy who did a tj suspesnion on a yj. he lengthened the arms to midlength. did a great job but like any project its not "easy." there are sources for coil suspension parts online such as polyperformance.
Unread 03-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the skills to swap a TJ suspension on a YJ why not build your own arms and just buy the link mounts and spring perches to weld on. With all the fab work involved I would find a different set of axles, or at least and 8.8, 9, or 44 for the rear and ditch the turdy five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
wordo30
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah. that probably would be a better idea to make my own because it would probably take a lot of making my own mounts and welding. ill just have to keep doing some more things and figure something out and i do have an 8.8 that im going to be putting in the jeep sometime this summer so maybe i can see about figuring something out for getting that in and a new suspension.
wordo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
myillwillinc
1990 YJ Wrangler 

explorer pro comp makes a kit to convert from leaf to coilover suspension. runs about 1800 bucks but has all the mounts and perches.
myillwillinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
If you have the skills to swap a TJ suspension on a YJ why not build your own arms and just buy the link mounts and spring perches to weld on. With all the fab work involved I would find a different set of axles, or at least and 8.8, 9, or 44 for the rear and ditch the turdy five.
agreed.
sure it would be possible, about anything is possible, the thing is, you would likely be cheaper and have a better setup if you built your own triangulated four link, all the hard stuff needs done either way, so whats a few more hours for some links and some extra measuring

keep in mind that the TJ setup requires a track bar. a triangulated 4 link does not, plus you will have better articulation, nicer ride, and much more adjustability (during the building process)

heck you could even go with some coil overs if you really want it schweet

or keep it simple and just build a tj style 4 link with panhard and coils, probably might maybe still be cheaper to do it yourself

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

yeah as much as i agree from a performance standpoint the mid-arm 4 link and coil-overs would be ideal, just whipping that up is not reality. its hard and there are a lot of factors that can make or break a link suspension. with simply transferring a tj suspension the calculations are done for you and your results would be predictable.

the procomp kit is not worth it even if free. too many compromises in the design.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.