TJ D-35 parts in a YJ housing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ D-35 parts in a YJ housing?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
medic-11
1990 YJ Wrangler 

TJ D-35 parts in a YJ housing?

Like the title says, do TJ dana 35 parts- like ring, pinion and carrier work in a YJ housing?

I kinda got screwed buying a set of 3.54 (turned out to be 3.07's) axles from "pariah24" on FloridaJeepers.net and since Ive now wasted my money to change up my gears, I need to find a cheaper way.

I cannot find a reasonably priced set of 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10 axles anywhere near me.

What I have found are two different "complete" 4.10 dana 30's, and a TJ 4.10 rear axle without spider gears, that could come in around my current budget.

My other option is to buy an 8.8 with 3.73's, and I found a carrier with 3.73 ring and pinion for the Dana30, also around the same money. I would need to add more money for the axle swap though.

I know the majority of you will say go 8.8, other than the gear ratio- but I would rather not swap to a Ford axle. Ive had my share of hot rods with 9" rears and I completely understand the strength issue, but my Jeep does way more highway miles than trail miles and only has 31's.

So can the carrier and ring/pinion from the 4.10 TJ axle be set up in the YJ 3.07 housing?

medic-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I dont see why not. same axle just 1 casing has perches for leaf springs and other for coil springs.
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
tonylax48
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of 3.55 with carriers and everything for the d30 and 35. i also i have 4.10s for a d35 with practically brand new bearings. I can hook you up with for cheap. Im not sure what you looking for. your post is a little confusing.

I would assume that the tj gears will fit to answer your question but im not 100% positive.
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic-11 View Post
Like the title says, do TJ dana 35 parts- like ring, pinion and carrier work in a YJ housing?

I kinda got screwed buying a set of 3.54 (turned out to be 3.07's) axles from "pariah24" on FloridaJeepers.net and since Ive now wasted my money to change up my gears, I need to find a cheaper way.

I cannot find a reasonably priced set of 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10 axles anywhere near me.

What I have found are two different "complete" 4.10 dana 30's, and a TJ 4.10 rear axle without spider gears, that could come in around my current budget.

My other option is to buy an 8.8 with 3.73's, and I found a carrier with 3.73 ring and pinion for the Dana30, also around the same money. I would need to add more money for the axle swap though.

I know the majority of you will say go 8.8, other than the gear ratio- but I would rather not swap to a Ford axle. Ive had my share of hot rods with 9" rears and I completely understand the strength issue, but my Jeep does way more highway miles than trail miles and only has 31's.

So can the carrier and ring/pinion from the 4.10 TJ axle be set up in the YJ 3.07 housing?
Buy the 8.8 and swap it! If you like the 3.73 gears, swap the Dana 30 to match too, if not then grab some 4.10 gears and outfit both axles. What is your desired tire size in the end? You're going to only want to regear once so make it count. Sell both Dana 35's and grab the other shafts out of the Dana 30 and sell it to recoup some of your costs in the 8.8.

And pariah24 is on this board too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.