Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

TJ D-35 parts in a YJ housing?

706 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Anticanman 
#1 ·
Like the title says, do TJ dana 35 parts- like ring, pinion and carrier work in a YJ housing?

I kinda got screwed buying a set of 3.54 (turned out to be 3.07's) axles from "pariah24" on FloridaJeepers.net and since Ive now wasted my money to change up my gears, I need to find a cheaper way.

I cannot find a reasonably priced set of 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10 axles anywhere near me.

What I have found are two different "complete" 4.10 dana 30's, and a TJ 4.10 rear axle without spider gears, that could come in around my current budget.

My other option is to buy an 8.8 with 3.73's, and I found a carrier with 3.73 ring and pinion for the Dana30, also around the same money. I would need to add more money for the axle swap though.

I know the majority of you will say go 8.8, other than the gear ratio- but I would rather not swap to a Ford axle. Ive had my share of hot rods with 9" rears and I completely understand the strength issue, but my Jeep does way more highway miles than trail miles and only has 31's.

So can the carrier and ring/pinion from the 4.10 TJ axle be set up in the YJ 3.07 housing?

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a set of 3.55 with carriers and everything for the d30 and 35. i also i have 4.10s for a d35 with practically brand new bearings. I can hook you up with for cheap. Im not sure what you looking for. your post is a little confusing.

I would assume that the tj gears will fit to answer your question but im not 100% positive.

#4 ·
Like the title says, do TJ dana 35 parts- like ring, pinion and carrier work in a YJ housing?

I kinda got screwed buying a set of 3.54 (turned out to be 3.07's) axles from "pariah24" on FloridaJeepers.net and since Ive now wasted my money to change up my gears, I need to find a cheaper way.

I cannot find a reasonably priced set of 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10 axles anywhere near me.

What I have found are two different "complete" 4.10 dana 30's, and a TJ 4.10 rear axle without spider gears, that could come in around my current budget.

My other option is to buy an 8.8 with 3.73's, and I found a carrier with 3.73 ring and pinion for the Dana30, also around the same money. I would need to add more money for the axle swap though.

I know the majority of you will say go 8.8, other than the gear ratio- but I would rather not swap to a Ford axle. Ive had my share of hot rods with 9" rears and I completely understand the strength issue, but my Jeep does way more highway miles than trail miles and only has 31's.

So can the carrier and ring/pinion from the 4.10 TJ axle be set up in the YJ 3.07 housing?
Buy the 8.8 and swap it! If you like the 3.73 gears, swap the Dana 30 to match too, if not then grab some 4.10 gears and outfit both axles. What is your desired tire size in the end? You're going to only want to regear once so make it count. Sell both Dana 35's and grab the other shafts out of the Dana 30 and sell it to recoup some of your costs in the 8.8.

And pariah24 is on this board too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.