TJ axle shaft conversion in YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ axle shaft conversion in YJ

Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TJ axle shaft conversion in YJ

I put TJ shafts I had laying around in my buddies YJ for him as an upgrade and since his vacuum stuff didn't work. He bought the Yukon blockoff/ seal kit.

Here is my ? I installed a seal in the housing next to carrier but that left me with 2 others, where do they go. Also why would the axle still be leaking out of the passenger side tube?

TIA

Aaron

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
89yj

I haven't done this conversion yet, but I think one of them replaces the factory seal on the outside of the disconnect housing. I think the factory YJ setup is designed to lube the disconnect housing and parts with gear oil. Your inner seal might be working but there is probably gear oil still in the housing that will continue to leak.
Check this writup:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd3...jconvert-1.htm
89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
fatwreck

I just went through all of this:
http://www.jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38124
fatwreck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
Prowler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Would this solve the problem?

CLICK ME!
4.2 EFI - Pacesetter header - Flowmaster - 4.5" RE XD - RE Monotubes - 35" Trxus M/Ts - 4.10s - D30 Aussie - 8.8 Trac Lok - NV3550 - Centerforce Dual Friction - B&M Shifter - ARB Snorkel - Livewires - M8000 - Duralined interior - custon front bumper - custom brush cables - HiLift on the hood with lights

"Don't follow me, You won't make it!"
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
fatwreck

No....it would just be a bandaid to any other seals that aren't working the way they should. Unless you fill up the entire axle with gear oil. Those really serve a different purpose. They are meant to keep mud/debris out of the axle tubes and away from the seals. IMO, they shouldn't replace them.
Unread 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You need to put a seal behind each side of the carrier. If you dont the oil will come right out, as you have seen.

The kit should have 1 green seal and 2 red ones. One of the red seals will be thrown away. The other one wil be used on the passenger side, just behind the carrier bearing. The other seal will be just behind the carrier bearing on the driverside.

They give you both seals, because there was a difference in housing inside diameter from Dana. Only one will fit on the passenger side.

FOr more information contact Randy's ring and pinion, 1-866-631-0196 extention 5594. Guys name is chris. Ask him, he knows this stuff off the top of his head. ... Tell him Dave from domination sent you....
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

notmyj. I got the Yukon kit. There is no green one as in the Warn, but am I to assume that the wider seal goes on the driver's side of the carrier and one of the thin red ones goes on the passenger side (while the other one of the thin red ones gets tossed)? No seal goes in the disco area?

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
tcourdin

I had the same kit with the 3 different seals, you have to make one fit at the carrier for sure, there really isnt much reason of installing a new smaller seal where the vac disconnect used to be since the new tj axle isnt machined to run on a seal at that point. I went ahead and installed one there but I'm sure the grooves on the axle destroyed it in a minimal amount of time.

FYI, write down the number of the seal that you think is going to fit at the carrier. I destroyed the first one while trying to install it (its a pain in the arse to get into the axle housing!) and had to buy a new one at the bearing store. I actually bought a few different ones and picked the one that fit best, I have the number written down at home, let me know if you need it.

I think someone mentioned the Superior axle end seals above, I think they will keep it a bit cleaner inside, but in no way will work like a seal. I have them and the drivers side leaked oil past it when I blew a carrier seal.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Only one of my seals has numbers on it

Unread 02-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
Only one of my seals has numbers on it
I may have ended up taking the seal to the bearing shop and had them cross reference the size to ones they had in stock. I made quite a few trips. It was quite the ordeal to get that little crappy seal into the end of the axle tube which is not machined to accept one. You can take a dremel and grind the sharp edge off of the axle tube as well, that seemed to help alot, and also use some sealant so it will slide in.

I even ended up borrowing a snazzy seal install tool from my buddy who works at a dealership, its still an act of God to get that seal in there good and straight. I'll look for the brand and number of seal I used tonight just in case you need it.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
Unread 02-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #11
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you! I would definately like to know that number.

Unread 02-06-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

JUst found this: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2006/dana30-seal-installer/

I think I'll give it a try. Looks like an easy way to get the seals in.

Unread 02-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon
Thank you! I would definately like to know that number.
Oops, I forgot.....I'll write it down so I dont forget to get it tonight!

I think the seal installer I used was a lot like the one you just posted, it did help. It seems like I ended up tapping it the rest of the way in with a block of wood and a looooong extension from the drivers side.
Unread 02-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #14
tcourdin

Alright, I finally got the seal I used for the TJ axle swap. I ended up using a Chicago Rawhide (CR) #11340.

For reference I also have the brands that are supposed to work.

Chicago Rawhide 11343 (Same as 11340 just a bit deeper sides)

Napa 11800

National 710068

National 471763

Spicer 42500

Superior Axle 470160
Unread 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
fatwreck

The seal that I used....that fit into the passenger side (just outside the carrier bearing) was CR-11800. I got it from Napa.

I used a socket that was large enough to go around the rubber part of the seal and a bunch of extensions to put it in place through the driver side knuckle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.