TJ axle conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ axle conversion

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

TJ axle conversion

Is it worth it? I got the axles. Now Im not sure I want to loose my 4x4 light or can I still get it to work?

Dake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

You can still have the light, but it is not needed. As when the transfer case goes to 4x4 its in. Unlike with the stock system that had to wait till the sleeve was moved over the axle shaft for the front to work. Many ways to rig up a switch to turn that light on.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yes u can still have a functioning light, I do. All u have to do is get the TC switch off of an xj or tj, they're like 15 bucs brand new. Take out the old vacuum motor and all vacuum lines that connect to it along with the switch on the TC. Then take the 2 wires that connect to the actuator on the axle and pull them back around/ over to ur TC where the old switch was. Pull the old switch out and connect those 2 wires to the new switch and spin ur new switch into the TC. For 15 bucs u can still have a functioning light, if u really wanna be cheap go take the switch off of one at a junkyard. All the switch is is a connector with a small ball on the bottom, when u shift the TC is punches the ball up sending a signal to turn the light on, everyone u put the TC in a gear u the linkage hits the ball and send a signal I activate the light. Pretty simple and only 2 wires.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Is it worth it? I got the axles. Now Im not sure I want to loose my 4x4 light or can I still get it to work?
Seriously?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...80/?highlight=
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I just need the light the wife dont like the fact of not having it. But im going to get the TJ TC switch.
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't do anything but replace the axle shaft, the light will still work. The light is not a function of the axle shaft, but rather the vacuum switch.
Just leave the vacuum switch in tact.
You would just leave everything attached. That is what I have, 1 piece axle shaft and I just left everything else there, and I have the dash light and a 1 piece shaft and it was truly that easy.
jeepster93 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just need the light the wife dont like the fact of not having it. But im going to get the TJ TC switch.
I just needed a reason to not rip it out and add some other gauge in there.
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just needed a reason to not rip it out and add some other gauge in there.
Mines just a light not taking up a spot in the gauge pod. I have the clock doing that. Now can someone tell me if this is the part I need? http://www.quadratec.com/products/52247_01.htm
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the one I linked is good for a 91+
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Dake
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks or the help
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mines just a light not taking up a spot in the gauge pod. I have the clock doing that. Now can someone tell me if this is the part I need? http://www.quadratec.com/products/52247_01.htm
That switch will work with all of them. If you look at the second post in the thread below there's a Dorman part number. You should be able to find that switch hanging in the "Help" section of any parts house for $12 or less. The pigtail part though they may need to order, but Napa carries a lot of those types of parts as well. As for wiring it all you are doing is switching a ground, so run one side to ground, the other to the wire coming off the current little blue vacuum switch on the firewall that goes to the light and bingo bango you're all set.

Quote:
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You should be able to get that switch at Autozone for the same price.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.