TJ ax5/np231 conversion write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ ax5/np231 conversion write-up

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TJ ax5/np231 conversion write-up

as part of my build i'm gonna be using the AX5/NP231/and driveshaft out of a 97' TJ in my 91' YJ. The motor is out of a 93'. On pre-94' YJ's you will need to convert to an external slave cylinder,

or you could convert the TJ trans to an internal slave, but thats a stupid idea.

to do this the way i did you will need your old YJ trans as a donor for parts

I scored the trans to the driveshaft for $200 of a guy on craigslist.

swap the mount brackets over

it's 4 bolts

an thats what your left with, next you'll need to put the mount from your YJ trans on it. Since im swapping an engine at the same time im doing all the bolting up on the ground and then just gonna shoe horn it all in

next, you will need to swap out the speedo gear housings, its a single blot that holds down a C-shaped clip, the clip fits into grooves on the housing, once you remove the single bolt the hole assembly can pull straight out. On the TJ there is electronic speedo gear, where the 91' had a cable. If you have an electronic speedometer cable then this step can be skipped.

removing from old ax5

SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

here is the electronic unit being removed from the TJ AX5, same exact process

an here is the old swapped in

since TJ's dont have half shafts in the front they just had a 4wd sensor in the place where the vaccum connector is for a YJ on the tcase, The thread an size is the same so you can swap the vaccum connector in its place

it just screws out, here is the connector on the TJ ax5
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the CPS will also need to be swapped, different connectors, everything else is the same.

after that i swapped the lower shifter housing

its 4 bolts and then it picks right out
the same goes for the YJ trans

i cleaned the old housing out with brake cleaner and lightly sanded an cleaned all matting surfaces.

instead of hunting for the gasket

after its bolted back on your all set

next before re-installing the trans, there is never a better time to install a clutch kit

so i did, hopefully i'll be throwing it in the jeep within the week. i just need to buy a few missing bolts for my motor brackets.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.