TJ 6 CYL IN YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TJ 6 CYL IN YJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-10-2001, 06:40 PM   #1
jerrys yj

TJ 6 CYL IN YJ

HOW HARD WOULD IT TO PUT A 2001 TJ 6 CYL INTO A YJ WITH A 4 CYL? I KNOW I WOULD NEED A NEW TRANY (AX15 I THINK) AND A TRANSFER CASE BUT WHAT ELSE WOULD I HAVE TO BUT. WOULD I HAVE TO MAKE ANY BIT MODS FOR IT. WOULD IT USE THE SAME ENGINE MOUNTS. WHAT WOULD I NEED AND HOW MUCH IS? PLEASE HELP ME OUT. ALSO I TOW MY DADS BOAT ALOT AND IT FEELS LIKE IT IS VERY HARD ON THE ENGINE AND THE TRANY. SHOULD IT BE HARD FOR A 4 CYL TO TOW A 20' BOAT OR IS IT JUST ME?

-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2001, 07:20 PM   #2
evilpsych

duh.. the 4cyl isnt made for towing..
6cyl maybe.. but you're better off with a larger, heavier vehicle with a longer wheelbase, like a mid-full size suv or pickup..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2001, 03:24 PM   #3
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

With my inline 6 4.2 liter engine, I have had no problems towing a 14" motorboat (estimated weight 1000lbs). My Jeep runs with 3.73 gears which helps alot!

If you wish to tow a 20" boat with your Jeep, I would say best bang for your buck would be 4.88 gears and a little extra weight on the front. With cost of installation (if you can't do it yourself), you might be looking around $1000 (someone can confirm).

A used Chevy 2 wheel drive 1970's to early 1980's 1/2ton truck .. might cost you $800 .. I would say get another vehicle just to do the towing.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 06:40 PM   #4
AJ

I agree with Naekid. I towed my boat w/my yj a few times. Short wheelbase and long 2000lb trailer is a very interesting combo when you live in hilly areas. I bouth an '82 chevy heavy 1/2 ton with a limited slip rear, v8, and super granny low gearing. All for $700. It's ugly, but way nicer to tow with. And after I get done refinishing my boat, the truck will get the next treatment.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2001, 10:22 AM   #5
powjunkie

Fellas, prepare for a good laugh. Until recently, I was towing my 23' 5,000lb boat/trailer with my YJ. The trailer is tandem axle with brakes, or this would even be more ridiculous. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done....eventually. Recently, I added a Navigator to the fleet so my Jeep is much happier.

As far as the original question, the gear swap would be the easiest way to go. The 4.0 would probably drop right in without too many hitches, but I'm not certain about that. Remember though, Jeeps are not tow vehicles. I would have to agree with the other posts, spend a few hundred duckets getting a old beater pickup.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.