Tires, gears, lift please explain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tires, gears, lift please explain

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 02-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tires, gears, lift please explain

Without staring any holy wars.... I've been poking around on mods. It seems folks like to add LIFT to their YJ. They like to add bigger tires. Change the rear pumpkin gears to 4.10s....OK in simple plain talk, WHY ? I'd like to know what the basic benefits are to the those 3 mods ? I get that Bigger tires looks COOL. Are they actually useful to either off road or economy ? Same question for the gear and lift alterations. I'd just like to know what all the hubbub is all about.

Unread 02-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

looks and performance , for most it's for looks , a stock YJ is great off road , a little lift and tires take it a little further , gears and lockers even further , it kind of snow balls from there , as far as economy , I didn't buy mine for the stelar gas mileage , I did it because chicks dig JEEPS !!!
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Your right about the economy and the chicks! Oh btw, what is a locker?
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Tillmbil
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some other ideas. Biggger tires are wider and in my life it makes the Jeep more stable on the road. Lift helps with clearance when offroad, looks cooler, allows the bigger tires to fit, and if you go off road keeps the tires from hitting the fenders when articulating.

You also sit up higher and can better see the traffic ahead of you as you drive. The lower gears are needed to keep the overall power and quickness the same as you install larger tires. It can also help keep your gas mileage the same. If you have stock 3.07 gears and add 33's to a six banger you pretty much cannot maintain highway speeds in fith gear anymore.
Tillmbil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Islander View Post
Without staring any holy wars.... I've been poking around on mods. It seems folks like to add LIFT to their YJ. They like to add bigger tires. Change the rear pumpkin gears to 4.10s....OK in simple plain talk, WHY ? I'd like to know what the basic benefits are to the those 3 mods ? I get that Bigger tires looks COOL. Are they actually useful to either off road or economy ? Same question for the gear and lift alterations. I'd just like to know what all the hubbub is all about.
I don't really like people. I like to get as far away from people as I can. I need a jeep to do that. I like jeep people.

Simple enough for ya?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I first started getting into Jeeps I would browse this forum for hours and hours just soaking up knowledge. I suggest you do the same, a lot will become clear.

Usually I don't respond to threads like this, but i'll give it a go:

Lift = more suspension travel and articulation offroad. better ground clearance.
Tires = better ground clearance, better offroad performance
gears = the ability to "crawl" easier offroad. easier to negotiate obstacles.
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeebe View Post
When I first started getting into Jeeps I would browse this forum for hours and hours just soaking up knowledge. I suggest you do the same, a lot will become clear.

Usually I don't respond to threads like this, but i'll give it a go:

Lift = more suspension travel and articulation offroad. better ground clearance. only with a quality susspension , dont be fooled by a low price and don't be fooled by a high price , do your home work or you will get burned
Tires = better ground clearance, better offroad performance home work is key with tires as well
gears = the ability to "crawl" easier offroad. easier to negotiate obstacles. the right gears with the tire size is key , don't over gear or under gear , if you live or wheel in the hills or rocks higher gears are key , in the flats you can get away with a lower gear
fify
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Now for a more not so simple explanation.

Bought my jeep with a 2.5" lift and 31. 3.07' open. Wheeled it like that for a little over 2 years. Wanted more so I figured out what I wanted my jeep to do. That was I wanted to have fun with other jeep people running trails, rock climbing and basically having a great time with the people of this crazy addiction we call "jeepin". Also I wanted to take my family on vacation and see the wonderful places that God has graced us with on this planet we call Earth. So I built a jeep to get me to those places. Kind of funny cause I posted a picture of my jeep on my facebook page and a friend of mine asked me if I was building a "rock crawler?" I told him no I was not, but if it takes me to places only a few have ever seen and I have to crawl over a rock, well then I guess I am..

You see, there is not a cookie cutter definition on why we build our rigs the way we do. Every rig is unique to the person who built it. Find what your definition is, and go from there

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
92Islander
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Now for a more not so simple explanation.
You see, there is not a cookie cutter definition on why we build our rigs the way we do. Every rig is unique to the person who built it. Find what your definition is, and go from there
hey! I like the philosophy. Great replies from everyone so far.

thanks!
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
tiptoptune

Gotta spend all that cash somewhere
tiptoptune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
4x4JB
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I crunched numbers and honestly it's just about the same price if not cheaper to buy 2.5" lift then to buy stock springs. Majority of us YJ owners with stock springs have the springs looking flat as can be so I wanted new springs and went for a lift.

Oh and so stealing this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
I didn't buy mine for the stelar gas mileage , I did it because chicks dig JEEPS !!!
4x4JB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #12
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you need a lift and bigger tires, you'll know it soon enough. If you wonder why you would need them, you don't.

Looks is a whole other reason, and as legitimate as any other.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #13
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Lift - added ground clearance plus additional clearance between axle and tub to accommodate bigger tires.

Bigger tires - more ground clearance. Potential for better performance off road. Bigger tires = more traction off road?
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Everything revolves around the tires. Your axle clearance and approach and departure angles are greatly affected by the size of the tires. Lift is only there to accommodate the tire size at the body lines. Body lifts help get the transmission and transfer case up when getting the skid pan raised or tucked flush to the frame rails. Suspension systems work in several different ways to improve street ride, increase articulation and provide adequate lift to help tire fittament. Shackle lifts give up to an extra inch to the suspension lift but also give an extra arc for the large arched springs to flatten or droop.

The lockers you mentioned are differential lockers. Jerry explains it well here:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...ad-4x4-242949/

Gearing is important to maintain torque ratios for the engine to compensate for the larger tires.

I'm pretty much rambling at this juncture.
Unread 02-15-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
I don't really like people. I like to get as far away from people as I can. I need a jeep to do that. I like jeep people.

Simple enough for ya?
truer words have never been spoken
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.