Tired, Nutted, 258, Weber 34 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tired, Nutted, 258, Weber 34

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #16
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrandrews838 View Post
Replaced all of my soft fuel lines with marine grade ethanol resistant lines.
Mind pointing the way on where to track those lines down?

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Scurv

Most of it is hard line except for a couple small sections by the front drivers side wheel well and where they go on top of the tank. Replaced everthing except the ones at the tank. I'm gonna wait for the new AC jets and let the pb Blaster sit on the bolts for a while. My gas tank skid is pretty darn rotten and the filler hose clamps look like a pita. Maybe next sat.
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
Red Jeep Club Member #284
Scurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
lrandrews838

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilfieldCowboy
Mind pointing the way on where to track those lines down?
Are you referring to the ones on your rig or where I found the replacement lines. The replacement lines were purchased from "Blue Water Ship Store". I don't have a link for the parts. They have fuel lines on large rolls and sell by the inch. Not sure you have a boating store in your area.

If you we're referring to the location on your yj mine were between the frame rail and the motor on the driver's side and between the fame and the fuel tank.
lrandrews838 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
OilfieldCowboy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrandrews838 View Post
The replacement lines were purchased from "Blue Water Ship Store". I don't have a link for the parts. They have fuel lines on large rolls and sell by the inch. Not sure you have a boating store in your area.
That is what I was looking for, thanks
Unread 02-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
Scurv

Three days now searching for Air Corrector jets. Even sent a message to Magneti Marelli Corp who bought the rights to Solex. These press fit jets are sorta like the ones for the IDA and IDF carbs but have a head like the ones on a 32/36. Emulsion tubes are straight cylinders of different lengths and one diameter. I wonder if the 32/36 Emulsion tubes would work. They look to have more than one diameter in there length though. Then I could use 32/36 jets? Will measure lengths and diameters of everything to see if Weber has anything compatible. I have an email, and multiple phone message in to Weber. I think they are reall busy. Will post on wanted forum for some jets or a used 34/34 DGEC. Maybe I'll just Rtv an 1"x1/2" piece of beer can over the holes and poke a 1.5 and 1.6mm hole...lol
89 YJ, 258 I6, 5 Speed/Manual, Red, 30x9.50 GSA/Gambler,Air Force Jeep Club Member #31
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
Scurv

Got my AC jets. They fit loose in the holes so i put a tiny bead of rtv around the head...looks pretty good. Spec sheet shows a 1.55mm in the main. I used the 1.50mm. 1.60mm in the secondary. Fired her up to take a test drive then she died in the driveway. No fuel..not even a squirt from accelerator pump. No fuel coming from new pump now...nun! Could have got the two sections of rubber lines I replaced backasswards. One from return is hooked up to the top hard line on frame rail on drivers side inner fender well? Supply on bottom line? UGH! I have the new pump and will swap it this am. Have new skid plate for gas tank also. Just tryn to get motivated in this cold weather to do it.
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #22
Scurv

Dropped the tank and blew air through the lines. Removed pick-up and notice rubber gasket was smashed and cracked through at each bolt hole. Guess the delaer did it 7 or 8 years ago when I had a seal recall repair. I did have the lines backwards. The top line on the frame is the supply line and the bottom is the return. Tank was suprisingly clean. Wrestled with the tank for about an hour. Seems the oem hitch reciever is in the way. In the process of removing the inner bolts of the bumprettes. Gonna use my sawzall. Going to knock off the exhaust mount also. I have too many scars on my wrists and hand from trying to get all these bolts off. To top it off I spun a ratchet off the end of a nut with my big 3/4 impact. Got whacked right between the eyes. I was 99% sure it was gonna come. I was on my back under the jeep out of the way and felt safe. I hit the ole trigger and the rachet spun off at 1000 rpm. Grabbed my cranium and stomped my feet a few times. May have even yelled "OWIE, OWIE". Waited for the warm fuzzy, runny blood feeling and sure nuff there it was. To the bone..good inch and half hole in my head. Who came up with the FKN name "bumprette"!
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurv View Post
Three days now searching for Air Corrector jets. Even sent a message to Magneti Marelli Corp who bought the rights to Solex. These press fit jets are sorta like the ones for the IDA and IDF carbs but have a head like the ones on a 32/36. Emulsion tubes are straight cylinders of different lengths and one diameter. I wonder if the 32/36 Emulsion tubes would work. They look to have more than one diameter in there length though. Then I could use 32/36 jets? Will measure lengths and diameters of everything to see if Weber has anything compatible. I have an email, and multiple phone message in to Weber. I think they are reall busy. Will post on wanted forum for some jets or a used 34/34 DGEC. Maybe I'll just Rtv an 1"x1/2" piece of beer can over the holes and poke a 1.5 and 1.6mm hole...lol
I've been trying to track these MFing things down too. Strongly considering telling the dealership to put the stock damn carburetor back on...don't think it's worth the pain and suffering of tracking down parts. The Weber Direct bastards are lazy as hell, or else this is their third job (they are in NYC, I suppose).

So what emulsion tubes / air jets did you end up using? Sounds like you found something that was close.
Unread 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I apologize at least to the tech guy at Weber Direct. He called me back this morning and has apparently grabbed some emulsion tubes from a defective carb he had lying around. I ordered a bazillion main jets and idle jets to go with it, so hopefully I can finally get this beast something like tuned.

The sales guy is still one of the more work-averse people I've ever dealt with.
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #25
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Believe it or not, to go all the way back to the original post on this thread, I've put new jets in and have gotten the carb to idle pretty decently and drive well for a while, but then I got a pretty similar problem to Scurv's original issue: had to hold the pedal halfway down at all times, gasping down the highway back home at a max of 40 mph.

How I got there is that the heap would run great for a while, then die at stops and refuse to start again. Finally took the air cleaner off immediately after a stop and saw gas streaming into the secondary and puddling on top of the throttle valve. Stopped it right then and there and took the cover off, bent the float arm down a little bit, somehow got the accursed valve assembly back together (that stupid little piece of wire is the cheapest bit of engineering I've seen in some time), and of course by that time enough gas had evaporated that the flooded condition was gone and I was able to get home. Drove it around again, killed it again, flooded it again. "I'll fix your little red wagon," says I to myself, and took a pair of pliers to the lever holding the float and bent it more seriously, probably a few mm. That produced the weak, gasping lean condition I described that seems a little like Scurv's problem. So I think I now have the float level way too low, and when I took the cover off one last time yesterday afternoon I saw that the level did indeed look pretty low.

Does anyone have some pointers on the best way to adjust this float level? I kind of think something less crude than a pair of slip-joint pliers is in order, but I can't find any info on how to adjust the float level on this carb, only that it needs to be done.
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #26
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the jets I have in it right now are:

Mains: 150 Pri / 180 Sec
(yes, that secondary is enormous, and so is the satisfaction I got when I finally turned right onto Highway 149 and could gun it continuously from dead stop to 40 mph...I had been having major gasping and leaning out when I accelerated into the range where the secondary started to open)

Idles: 47.5 Pri / 40 Sec

Air jets: 160 Pri / 165 Sec

I need to check and make sure I have the right emulsion tube in the right barrel. According to the Spanish guide to the Solex 34 TEIE that Scurv linked, the one marked 175 should be in the primary and the 174 should be in the secondary. I have been having trouble getting the long one to seat all the way into its channel, and I wonder if I somehow got some piece of broken brass or something stuck down there.

Note that I also have plugged the line from the air cleaner to the valve cover and put a second air filter directly on the valve cover (to keep oil from leaking into the air cleaner, which it was doing, and probably indicates some other problem I don't have time to fix). I think this setup lets the engine suck in more air, and thus allows me to put this huge main jet in the secondary and get away with it.

I also have, don't laugh, the Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator AND the fuel pressure gauge. I took out the driver's side plug on the fuel intake chamber of the carb, reamed it out with a 1/8 NPT tap, and screwed the FPG right in there. Without the FPR, it would jiggle around 3-4 psi at normal idle, and higher under other conditions. With the FPR on and set to 1.5 psi, the FPG read just under 2 psi (I think) and was much more constant. So as much suckage as this FPR is commonly stated to represent, I don't think it's my problem right now.
Unread 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #27
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I goggled "jeep weber carb float level tuning" and got a buttload of information.

Also try "jeep weber carb tuning" Plenty of info on that search also.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
defmornahan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I googled "weber" and "solex float level adjustment" and got nothing about HOW to adjust the float level, so I just got out a clear plastic ruler and bent the float arm with a pair of pliers until both sides looked like they were between 10.5 and 11 mm from the base of the carb cover, a la the Spanish pdf Scurv linked. Seems to be fine now...not flooding, not gasping for gasoline.

I don't see anything about how to do the adjustment in your search results either, although I'm on a friend's laptop right now and it's running too slow to be at all thorough.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.