Tired of getting the finger on the way to work?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tired of getting the finger on the way to work??????

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
jameskehler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Tired of getting the finger on the way to work??????

Ok I know that the wiring on Jeeps all depends on the PO. So here is my problem. When I apply the brakes with the parking lights off the radio comes on. Prior to this new problem I always had to turn on my parking lights to turn the radio on but just figured that the PO had used the ACC hot from the lights to power the radio no big deal. But not only is there a short some where but when I turn on my headlights my rear left turn signal does not blink it looks like it is on all the time. Also with lights off the left turn signal does not work at all blinks real fast but does not light up. When I use the turn signal all the tail lights dim but that is it. Took out the seat to get real comfortable under the dash and traced out all the wires under the dash with no short found and no change from original problem. My right turn signal seems to blink alot slower now. Tried changing the bulbs and checked to make sure ground to the body was good all checks out! Tired of getting the finger on the way to work every day and dont need a fixit ticket when i dont know what to fix.

jameskehler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did you try changing the blinker thingys in the fuse block?

Ive never known the head light and stereo circuits to cross but I know the stereo and in dash clock share a circuit.

Id take note of every power lead and follow it until u hit a power source, assuming u didn't do that. Check all your grounds, even your battery grounds where it connects to the body and block. Hows your voltage on the meter?
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

First off... disconnect the power for the radio (both 12v hot and accessory). It obviously is wired up wrong and you don't need it throwing a monkey wrench into the equation. When you say you checked the grounds, was that at the taillight housing mounting screws? What are the front turn signals doing at the same time when you describe what is happening with the tail lights? When you state that the turn signal "blinks real fast, but does not light up", do you mean that the turn indicator lamps in the dash flash, but the tail lamps do not?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 on the radio. You're probably back feeding the circuit through the radio and have a ground issue. Morning Idaholtby!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
X2 on the radio. You're probably back feeding the circuit through the radio and have a ground issue. Morning Idaholtby!
Morning Que! I just rotated back to day shift, haven't quite acclimated yet.
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just back after a couple weeks off and I'm trying to get back into the swing of things too. Work is a pain sometimes, but the alternative is much much worse! LOL
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
lbsnowryder
One notch above Redneck!!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the both of you, backfeeding a circuit. Yank the stereo out and re-install it correctly. I just finished a semester of auto electrical and spent alot of time messing with other peoples frustrations such as this.

idaholtby, are you in Meridian? I swear I've seen your rig around town. I'm guess from your profile your still out at the M plant. Things still moving there?

I own a Jeep, it's red and has big tires

Radical Pictures
lbsnowryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
AO1
1985 CJ7 

For some reason my YJ when you turn the key and start it the parking lights come on. When I have no key in it and turn the lights on the radio comes on too. I just quit looking for reasons. It had a stock radio in it when I bought it. I used a wiring kit to install the radio I think the wiring kit is crossed but I dont mind it, when I turn the ignition off and the radio is on that reminds me to turn the lights off. Let me know if you do find out what is wrong.
Unread 01-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsnowryder View Post
idaholtby, are you in Meridian? I swear I've seen your rig around town. I'm guess from your profile your still out at the M plant. Things still moving there?
Yep, I'm in Meridian. Things are fine in M's R&D, plenty of non-stop work.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
lbsnowryder
One notch above Redneck!!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Yep, I'm in Meridian. Things are fine in M's R&D, plenty of non-stop work.
I spent 10 years out there, I'm just using up that money for school now! I'm sure I'll see you around. Keep an eye out for me!

I own a Jeep, it's red and has big tires

Radical Pictures
lbsnowryder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #11
jameskehler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
First off... disconnect the power for the radio (both 12v hot and accessory). It obviously is wired up wrong and you don't need it throwing a monkey wrench into the equation. When you say you checked the grounds, was that at the taillight housing mounting screws? What are the front turn signals doing at the same time when you describe what is happening with the tail lights? When you state that the turn signal "blinks real fast, but does not light up", do you mean that the turn indicator lamps in the dash flash, but the tail lamps do not?
Checked grounds at tail lights and replaced two different blinker relays. One on the fuse pannel and another that was under the dash. The front lights work as advertised. With lights off and I use the turn signal it makes the blinking sound real fast but does not light up anything not even the turn indicator on the dash.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So go ahead and disconnect the stereo to make sure it isn't causing any issues. The fast cycling of the flasher with no lamp light up would indicate a short rather than a ground issue. Once the stereo is removed, and if the problem persists, then check power at the rear lamps when the turn signal is turned on. Type 1157 bulbs are being used, correct?
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
boyce1911
1977 FSJ Wagoneer 

AO1 My jeep does exactly what yours does with the lights and stereo, but Ive got one more. When I try to dim the dash panel lights the running lights dim instead!
boyce1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
isuace
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe related. I had a weird thing going on where my radio would turn off when I used my turn signals. I figured that I had some sort of weird ground issue. I had to change the flasher relay when I installed some LED trailer lights, and the problem totally went away.
isuace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #15
jameskehler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok after much wire tracing again still nothing shorted. But when I was digging around I removed the headlight switch and opened it up. the contacts were pretty dirty so I cleaned them off and replaced it. The problem was solved for about a day. Now its back again. Going to Kraqgen tomorrow to buy new headlight switch to see if that solves it for good otherwise i will try somthing else. I really dont mind having to work on the little things except when I have no clue what is broken.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.