Tire Size - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Size

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Ulricn1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tire Size

Ok... I have been quite stupid of late with my mod's, and I kept thinking bigger is better! so I went and got some 33" shoes for my baby; however...

while I have no problem with the clearance (sometimes it rubs a bits, when the springs are tight - i have a 2.5" lift) it goes pear-shape on the road...

At "high" speed, the steering wheel vibrates heavily and I can hardly reach 70mph (110 kph) on the road. Also, i think it weaken my performance in soft sand!

Have I made a mistake? Are YJ not advised with that kind of tire size?

thanks for the future help!

Ulricn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When you put on the lift you change your driveline angles. You may need to install a transfer case drop or install a slip yoke eliminator.
scubamc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
iDriveYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The tires might also be improperly balanced, I have 33x12.50s, have had them for years, your wheel bearing might also be worn out.
iDriveYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Ulricn1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tires Size VS. Re-gearing

After doing some research it seem that I may have to re-gear my axles, as I am running the std Dana 30/35 set-up.

If I do a re-gear, will I also need to upgrade my brake system? Also, if I re-gear a Dana 30/35, they are still quite weak (or so it seems), so wouldn't be better simply get a better axle?

If so, which axles could I use on a 92 YJ...

VERY confused...
Ulricn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulricn1 View Post
After doing some research it seem that I may have to re-gear my axles, as I am running the std Dana 30/35 set-up.

If I do a re-gear, will I also need to upgrade my brake system? Also, if I re-gear a Dana 30/35, they are still quite weak (or so it seems), so wouldn't be better simply get a better axle?

If so, which axles could I use on a 92 YJ...

VERY confused...
Well you're not alone. I have a 4" lift with 5/8" booms and 33s, I don't have any issues with vibrations as I currently have a TC drop and 4* shims on the rear leafs. With the 4.0 we have 3.07 gears which really need to be 4.10s with 33s. You have a few options. I went out and picked up a nice D30 out of a 4 cyl which has 4.10 gears for $100. The guy needed to get out of his garage. I'm going to go through it and replace seals and check bearings.

For the rear I picked up a Ford 8.8 out of a 2001 Explorer with 4.10 gears. There's some fabrication work to swap in the 8.8 but well worth it and there's plenty of documentation here and online. I just rebuilt a TC but didn't do an SYE because I'm waiting until I get the 8.8 in.

As far as brakes go...yea an upgrade is probably the smart thing to do. I'm in the process of swapping in a dual diaphragm booster/MC from an 06 TJ. I have a thread documenting the swap. I'm at the point were it's ready to go in, make a couple new lines and bleed the system. Hopefully I get it done before the weekend.

Here's the thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/0...my-yj-1177891/
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your gearing won't effect steering vibrations. I'd start with making sure your wheels are balanced properly, and make sure your steering alignment is OK.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
glenn-91YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with TheNewbie...The steering wheel vibration is usually due to improperly balanced tires, bad wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rod/drag link ends. Did you have and vibration/shaking in the steering wheel before you put the 33" tires on?

Tags
size , tires , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.