tire pressure, mpg, ride quality - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tire pressure, mpg, ride quality

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

tire pressure, mpg, ride quality

I did a search and couldn't find a thread directly relating to what I'm wondering.

I bought my YJ about a month ago, and just yesterday checked the tire pressure. I figured he probably had it around 32 just based on what most people fill their tires too.

I was wrong. They were at 12 (driver side), and 10/11 (passenger side)

I have 31" Super Swampers. I've been getting about 13mpg (3.07 stock gears). I aired them up to 20 PSI this morning and my ride felt nicer, and my tires were quieter on the ground. What is the optimal tire pressure for fuel economy, comfort, and tread wear?

My tires have a 2450 lb max load rating @ 45 PSI cold. I figure I'm theoretically okay at 15 PSI, but put it at 20 to test with. I'm going to get some chalk this weekend and check to see what kind of tread pattern is actually hitting the ground. Suggestions?

Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like he aired down and forgot to air 'em back up....

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
FOURWALLYS
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
Sounds like he aired down and forgot to air 'em back up....

My first thought too
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah kinda what I figured too. I know he went wheeling in it not long before he sold it, I guess that just makes the PO a knob (and myself too, for not checking it sooner).
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run 40 PSI in my 31's with no sway/track bar and old as hell springs that are pretty much shot. My ride is pretty smooth.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.