Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

tire measurement

663 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  leach 
#1 ·
So.. i got bored today and decided to tinker with the jeep. I pulled out the tap measure to see how much wear was on the tires- Kumho Venture MT 33"x 12.5

and i ended up very disapointed with the results which where the tire measured to about 31.5" and it states very clearly on the tire that they are 33"s

am i missing something? i know people have tires are bigger than what there supose to be, but do they also come smaller?

plus i still have at least 75% of the tread left.

please tell me that im not crazy? :rofl:

also does any one have any oversized 33" if so what brand?

#3 ·
that would help

:rofl:

i have still seen pictures of peoples rigs on the ground and there tires still measure over the size of the tire.

Got them straight on for you; top pic is vertical, bottom is horizontal. After looking at the pics my friend took while I held the tape, I noticed how horrible they were, but at least you can make out the measurement... hopefully.

this was from the lift thread that made me question mine.

#4 ·
tire size

Alot of the tires out there do not measure what they say on the sidewall. If your air pressure if low, you might loose a little bit, but for an example, a friend with 35" Mickey Thompson Claws measure 33" and my friend with 38in TSL swampers measure 36.5in and my 36in TSL Radials meausure 36.5in. For most of the manufactorer websites, they will list sidewall diameter as well as Actual Diameter. I dont understand why they do this, but not many tires are there exact sidewall dimensions. Depends all on the tire and the maker.

leach

#5 ·
Here is the page for your Kumho tires, it lists what size you have as well as actual diameter.
http://www.kumhousa.com/Products/PtnDetails.asp?mainCatID=2&PtnID=834

So if you are trying to run the biggest sidewall number possible or find the biggest tire that will fit, those are the numbers to look at, not at what they say on the sidewall.

Hope that answered any questions about your tire/other tires.

leach

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.