Tire Carrier Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tire Carrier Build

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Reply
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,763
Tire Carrier Build

I'm planning on building a swingout tire carrier onto my existing bumper. I've ordered my spindle kit (1 1/2 inch diameter) and am heading out to buy a 90 amp flux core welder from Harbor Freight tomorrow. I have no welding experience but have a friend who can lend a hand if I get stuck.

My existing bumper seems to have been fabricated out of two 2x2 square tubes stacked on top of each other. A few questions:

1) It seems like I should be able to drill the hole for the spindle and to weld it into place without removing bumper. Does this sound feasible? (looks like I'll have to drop my tank to remove bumper and I'd like to avoid that).

2) What drill bit should I get to drill my hole?

3) Does the spindle just get welded at the top or also at bottom? If it does get welded at the bottom, how do I do that? Do I drill two holes into bumper (top and bottom?)

4) I think my existing bumper is powder coated...do I need to strip that off or do I just weld right through it?

I'll put pictures up as I go.

__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
G30SFF250
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
I'm planning on building a swingout tire carrier onto my existing bumper. I've ordered my spindle kit (1 1/2 inch diameter) and am heading out to buy a 90 amp flux core welder from Harbor Freight tomorrow. I have no welding experience but have a friend who can lend a hand if I get stuck.

My existing bumper seems to have been fabricated out of two 2x2 square tubes stacked on top of each other. A few questions:

1) It seems like I should be able to drill the hole for the spindle and to weld it into place without removing bumper. Does this sound feasible? (looks like I'll have to drop my tank to remove bumper and I'd like to avoid that).

2) What drill bit should I get to drill my hole?

3) Does the spindle just get welded at the top or also at bottom? If it does get welded at the bottom, how do I do that? Do I drill two holes into bumper (top and bottom?)

4) I think my existing bumper is powder coated...do I need to strip that off or do I just weld right through it?

I'll put pictures up as I go.
Hold up now! What welder are you buying? Is it new or used? 90 amp is a lot so I am guessing 115 volt?

Flux core?!?!

This is the start of your build and many more to come. You should look into it if you haven't already.
__________________
I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
G30SFF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
jbolty
Moderator
 
jbolty's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,239
That welder is almost certainly not capable of welding something like that, especially if you are not experienced.

What is the bumper made of? How thick? How is it attached to the frame? Pictures.
__________________
.
"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey
.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,763
I'll get some pics up of the bumper tomorrow. So is a 240 volt welder needed for a project such as this? I don't have a 240 outlet in my garage.

The friend I mentioned has a 240 but I was hoping I could fab this mostly on my own.
__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,763
And it's attached to frame with 8 bolts. Pairs of two one above each other on outer ends and then also an inner set maybe 6 to 9 inches inward. Bolts protrude through rear of frame with nuts securing it.
__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
G30SFF250
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
I'll get some pics up of the bumper tomorrow. So is a 240 volt welder needed for a project such as this? I don't have a 240 outlet in my garage.

The friend I mentioned has a 240 but I was hoping I could fab this mostly on my own.
Do you have a clothes dryer or something in the house that is 220 single phase? You can piggyback there.

I wouldn't recommend buying a welder that is underpowered.

Yes, a 220/240 volt welder is your best option. Will a 115 V stick, yes. Will it hold up, no.
__________________
I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
G30SFF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
timatoe
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 13,458
Do what you want but I think ultimately you'll be disappointed with that welder and the results of the bumper. I think you'll ultimately be a thousand times happier saving your pennies till you can get a 220 machine, be it a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
G30SFF250
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Do what you want but I think ultimately you'll be disappointed with that welder and the results of the bumper. I think you'll ultimately be a thousand times happier saving your pennies till you can get a 220 machine, be it a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.
I agree!

A A/C 220 volt stick welder from Home Depot will do you better.

The only problem with stick welding is starting. Drag, get an arc, and go to it. Like anything, practice.

You will be happier with your build knowing you did it right.

__________________
I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
G30SFF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
skyj
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 2,518
Wo wo wo right there!!! Do not waist your money on harbor freight If you have never welded before it will end up looking like a pigeon pooped on your bumper. Your better off like others have said to save your pennys and get a good quality welder. I bought a Lincoln pro mig180 and couldn't be happier. One of the best investments I have bought for my jeep. I like to fab a lot of my own stuff. With that being said I started tonight my swing away tire carrier I built my spindle by buying a 3500# spindle from the trailer shop, I built it like besrk did. I aquired a smittybilt swing away from a unhappy smittybilt customer and am baseing my build off of that but with a stout spindle.
To answer your questions.
1) you probably won't be able to drill the hole without removing the bumper your tail light will be in the way.
2) you will want to use a bimetal hole saw and a real steady hand.
3) yes grind off any and all paint where you plan on welding or you won't be able to strike an arc.
4) yes drill a hole top and bottom, but If your bumper is indead two pieces of 2x2 welded together then you will need to drill 3 holes.
Hope that helps and good luck with the build.
Here is a shot of me
getting started on mine.
forumrunner_20120528_232523.jpg   forumrunner_20120528_232548.jpg  
__________________
build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/skyj-eccentric-build-1467426/ '90 YJ 5.2 magnum MPI, AX15, NP231 SYE, Dana 30 4.56 open/ 8.8 4.56 detriot locker. 1" shackles
2" BL, 4" stretch all on saggy waggy springs.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,763
Thanks all for the great advice! I do have a 220 outlet in our laundry room that I can run a pigtail to...so I'm in the market for a used 220 volt welder. Found a few for sale locally...all stick welded I think and they look a bit older:

1) Hobart 250 with helmet-250 bucks
2) miller thunderbolt with cart - 235 bucks
3) older craftsman 100 bucks
4) 225 Lincoln with Cart - 200 bucks

Any recommendations?
__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
Leans93
She's my density...
 
Leans93's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,459
I recommend a MIG welder for a beginner. I started with a Lincoln 180 from Home Depot. Still have that machine and it's awesome.

I also recommend removing the bumper as it will make the whole build go easier. As stated above I would also use a hole saw to cut the holes. I recommend welding both top and bottom of spindle. And yes remove paint from areas to be welded.

Here is a write up I did when I built mine. May give you some ideas if you read through it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/l...arrier-839569/
__________________
M.F. Leans


93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
G30SFF250
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: , Georgia
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by linusb View Post
Thanks all for the great advice! I do have a 220 outlet in our laundry room that I can run a pigtail to...so I'm in the market for a used 220 volt welder. Found a few for sale locally...all stick welded I think and they look a bit older:

1) Hobart 250 with helmet-250 bucks
2) miller thunderbolt with cart - 235 bucks
3) older craftsman 100 bucks
4) 225 Lincoln with Cart - 200 bucks

Any recommendations?
AC/DC is a plus if this helps.
__________________
I would rather have a broke Jeep, than no Jeep at all.
G30SFF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
linusb
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Lexington,SC
Posts: 1,763
In reading up on welding, I'm having concerns about fire hazard. I don't have a dedicated shop for working...just an attached 2 car garage where my Jeep and wife's car get parked. Do you guys weld in an attached garage? My driveway is sloped and won't make a good welding area. I could use the back yard I suppose. Am I being overly worried?
__________________
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
Leans93
She's my density...
 
Leans93's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,459
I weld in my garage 90% of the time. I do have a fire extinguisher handy but I've never had to use it.
__________________
M.F. Leans


93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
superj
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: corpus christi, texas
Posts: 6,054
i weld everywhere, with a fire extinguisher. i have no dedicated place though. i have seen dedicated shops go up in flames because of carelessness though so if you are careful and think about what you are doing, your garage will be fine
__________________
Slow ride, take it easy
superj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.