Tips for the NOOB! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips for the NOOB!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

imo, sell it and buy a 6 cyl. if you cant do the work yourself, dont even consider it. welcome to the jf!

liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

get some steps or nerf bars. they look good on a black jeep.

my kids love them. they try to stand on the outside when we are going on any trails. they want to ride on them to the mail box. i got them for my wife but the kids like them a lot more. i was wanting to go naked, like your jeep is but then no one wanted to ride in the jeep anymore because they are all short and hated jumping in
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruka View Post
LOL! Well, like I said, this is going to be my main daily vehicle for awhile. So the 32's I have on it now are as big as I want to get. And I PRAY that I don't have to replace all those items every year!

One question I have is.... I think that I'm going to have to replace/rebuild the engine soon. I want to move up to the 6 cylinder instead of this 4 cylinder... Would it be cheaper to throw a 6 in my current Jeep, or should I just can this project and buy myself a Jeep that came stock with a 6 in it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedyj91 View Post
imo, sell it and buy a 6 cyl. if you cant do the work yourself, dont even consider it. welcome to the jf!
x2, if your not mechanically inclined and dont want to learn I would say ditch the jeep NOW.....

I wold sell it and buy a 6...if your doing engine swaps, bypass the 6 and go to a small block and bedone, cost is about the same.... gas milage wold be better or the same and better power....

IF I did not do my own maintence and work I woule EASILY be in the thousands in JUST labor cost to build/repair my rig.... as it is it is bad enough.... tallied up I spend around 3-6 grand a year on improvements and or maintaining what I have, but like I said I use my rig, it sees as mcuh trails and bush as it does highway.... some years more... last year was more I did the SOA and springs and stuff....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #19
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i would run the 4 popper till it quits and by then you will probably have enough knowledge by then to do a swap. im in the middle of a frame up build and a small block 355 swap. the yj is a very simple vehicle to work on.
liftedyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
Day215
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ok people, First time Jeep owner here. Just sold my 2007 BMW 650i convertible and got my brothers 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ; So you can imagine what a pampered wuss I am! He used it strictly as a rock-crawler, but it's my only mode of transportation, so have to make it street worthy while still being able to play a little in the mud.

I've already took off the 33X13.5 bias-ply tires he had on it, and put on new 32X11.5 Radials. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Bias-Ply's yet, they are in excellent condition on black rims...
My tires stick out 7" past the side... so I just ordered 6" TAG Pocket-Style Fender Flares after reading on the forum here. Nobody had anything bad to say about them, unlike that Jeep Planet trash on eBay I almost got suckered into! Thank you JeepForum!

It has a 2" shackles on it with leaf-springs, and no sway-bars, front or back. She rolls like a boat on the high seas around corners, and constantly jumps off to the right when I hit bumps or shift at any speed... Got single RS 5000 shocks all around, but I don't know if they are any good due to them all being flattened out from axle roll while my brother was out climbing rocks. And lockers on it that make me worried that I've broken something when I corner hard, LOL!
I have a daughter who has to literally jump up to grab the roll-bar and pull herself up into the seat! So need a side-step. Was thinking of a Nerf-bar, but read on this forum that only Nerds and gay guys have Nerf-bars on their Jeeps...

So... I'm looking for any tips you all may have on what I should do with this thing. Parts you all recommend, stuff that I won't bend and break all up the next time I decided to floor it through my neighbors cornfield again but yet let me drive down the highway to work at 65mph without having to man-handle it the whole way.

This post reminds me of myself. I sold my 2004 QC ram, and bought a 92' YJ. People thought I was crazy, it leaks oil, rides rough and is noisy as hell, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. The day I went to put my daughters car seat in the back, and I wouldn't quite fit, I thought I would never hear the end of it. The day i told my son to go get in the Jeep and I'll be right out, 10 minutes later, he was still trying to pull himself up, I thought I made a bad decision.

One new carseat and a set of tube sliders later, everything worked out! I smile every time I drive it, still get excited when another built Jeep waves at me, and can't wait to do my next mod. Congratulations and welcome!
Day215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #21
Virjeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

X's 2 on the smile every time I get in it!!
Virjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I save a couple grand per year by doing my own work on it, and the insurance is *way* lower. But the fact that the YJ's tend to need work done, offsets this. You can swap a 6-cylinder for well under a grand if you are mechanically inclined, don't mind doing some welding and wiring, and catch a good deal on craig list or ebay.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #23
SandyMushYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, that looks like the Steel Horse hard top that you can't get parts for anymore. Best mod I made to mine was unlatching it , accelerating in reverse and slamming on the brakes. Then I sold it to someone willing to try to make a decent hard top out of it. If the upper doors still hold securely to the lowers and you won't be removing it often, you'll be okay for a while.
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
jeeper1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMushYJ
Hey, that looks like the Steel Horse hard top that you can't get parts for anymore. Best mod I made to mine was unlatching it , accelerating in reverse and slamming on the brakes. Then I sold it to someone willing to try to make a decent hard top out of it. If the upper doors still hold securely to the lowers and you won't be removing it often, you'll be okay for a while.
I agree mine wont accept any door except the hard upper windows that came with it
jeeper1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #25
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedyj91 View Post
LOL! The first engine I replaced by myself was on a 1989 Toyota MR-2... Was told that I picked a nightmare vehicle for my first engine replacement... As long as I have a Chilton's or Haynes around, I'm good. I don't know how to weld though...

No longer have a shop or garage to do anything in... so all repairs are out in my dirt driveway
cfuruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #26
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMushYJ View Post
Hahaha, not sure what brand it is, but it is CRAP!!! seals are shot, big open gaps at the tops of the window... Loves to shoot water in my face everytime it rains outside... the back window is replaced by a short sheet of plexiglass... 2" gap between the rear door and the glass that creates a wind-tunnel through the cab as I drive down the highway! Kinda sucks since it's winter with freezing temperatures outside, LOL!!!
cfuruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #27
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i am stuck working in the driveway too. it sucks but makes you efficient
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #28
SandyMushYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hahaha, not sure what brand it is, but it is CRAP!!! seals are shot, big open gaps at the tops of the window... Loves to shoot water in my face everytime it rains outside... the back window is replaced by a short sheet of plexiglass... 2" gap between the rear door and the glass that creates a wind-tunnel through the cab as I drive down the highway! Kinda sucks since it's winter with freezing temperatures outside, LOL!!!
Yeah, I would like to have both a hard and soft top, but if I ever put a HT back on, I want a better quality top. I put it on Craigslist for $300 and had people fighting over it. Now I'm topless but I will order a soft top when I decide which color I want with my new green paint.
Unread 01-02-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Couple of things.

I agree that swapping a 6 would be a lot messier then buying one with a 6 already. It certainly is doable, but a lot more work than swapping an engine of the same type.

Costs to maintain are somewhat variable. You CAN spend a fortune, but you don't necessarily have to. Just make sure that whatever repairs/upgrades you do are done right, and not half baked. For example, if you do change an engine, spend the extra bucks and get a remanufactured one rather than some unknown item on ebay.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.