Tips for the NOOB! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips for the NOOB!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Tips for the NOOB!

Ok people, First time Jeep owner here. Just sold my 2007 BMW 650i convertible and got my brothers 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ; So you can imagine what a pampered wuss I am! He used it strictly as a rock-crawler, but it's my only mode of transportation, so have to make it street worthy while still being able to play a little in the mud.

I've already took off the 33X13.5 bias-ply tires he had on it, and put on new 32X11.5 Radials. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Bias-Ply's yet, they are in excellent condition on black rims...
My tires stick out 7" past the side... so I just ordered 6" TAG Pocket-Style Fender Flares after reading on the forum here. Nobody had anything bad to say about them, unlike that Jeep Planet trash on eBay I almost got suckered into! Thank you JeepForum!

It has a 2" shackles on it with leaf-springs, and no sway-bars, front or back. She rolls like a boat on the high seas around corners, and constantly jumps off to the right when I hit bumps or shift at any speed... Got single RS 5000 shocks all around, but I don't know if they are any good due to them all being flattened out from axle roll while my brother was out climbing rocks. And lockers on it that make me worried that I've broken something when I corner hard, LOL!
I have a daughter who has to literally jump up to grab the roll-bar and pull herself up into the seat! So need a side-step. Was thinking of a Nerf-bar, but read on this forum that only Nerds and gay guys have Nerf-bars on their Jeeps...

So... I'm looking for any tips you all may have on what I should do with this thing. Parts you all recommend, stuff that I won't bend and break all up the next time I decided to floor it through my neighbors cornfield again but yet let me drive down the highway to work at 65mph without having to man-handle it the whole way.

cfuruka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

looks like you have been doing some reading allready but the best sugestion I can make for a noob is to read the stickys. also, you probably mean front and rear track bars as a yj only has a front sway bar, although your bro could have removed this too. if he did you might consider reinstalling, it should help with body roll. rock sliders make pretty good steps and are way cooler than nerf bars, grab handles on the roll bar will help your daughter get in, mastercraft makes really good ones but they are a little pricy. I have the smittybult ones, they are quite abit cheaper and work well. alot of guys have been geting good deals on shocks from skyjackers scratch and dent. hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Yah, have a friend here at work who just told me that I HAVE to get Nitrogen Gas-Powered shocks... But first need to find out if the shocks I have are any good...
As for the "track" bars, thank you for the correction, they are missing. I believe that I have to buy new links? Because of the 2" shackles... Been told to look into quick-disconnects in case I ever want to take it back out on the rocks. Just need to figure out which brand to go with. Hopefully NOT the most expensive, lol!
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is that a shackle reverse on the rear?
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmm... will have to ask. I've been told that if I tear the front shackle off and put in a reverse kit up front that it will help with the jerking to the side.
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Could have killed my brother! I got 94 miles on the first tank of gas I put in the thing, THEN he tells me that he's not maintenance her in 3 years! I did a full tune-up and got 170 miles off of this tank of gas. The damn center wire of the spark-plugs were burnt down into the ceramic!!
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I an 100% sure that the shackles you have are causing the funky handling. I would lose them and get a proper spring lift kit such as the OME 2.5 inch kit with the heavy-duty springs. Both MORE and Curries make good shackles to go with this kit, especially their 5/8 boom shackles.

Far as side-steps go, many companies make rocker panel armor with bars built in. A to Z Fab and Metalcloak come to mind.

If the rest of it runs OK, then I would say that your best friend off-road would be a front locker.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to YJ world.

We could use a little more info. on the Jeep.

First off, find out if it still has the stock axles and what kind/type of lockers. Does he still have the front axle vac. system in place?

Without knowing what springs are on it (lools like SUA from the pic) I would get some stock or near stock size greasable boom shackles. With only 33's, you should have clearance... but again, don't know what springs you've got. But that would be better than 2" over shackles.

Jumping to the side when you hit bumps could mean several things. Bad shackles 'could' be the culpret, but it could also be bad TREs, loose u-bolts, bad ball joints, bearings, ect. You'll need to do some homework/checking on that one.

Get new shocks to fit. I'm not a fan of the RS5000 anyway.

For body roll, you will deffinately need the sway bar! If your brother pulled it, along with the tracs, then see if you can get it back. Or check the classifieds for guys getting rid of theirs if he does'nt have it. IMO the tracs do little for the ride, so I would'nt worry about them, but the sway is essential to driving on road. Get a set of sway link disconnets and you're good to go.

As far as steps/rockers. That is up to you. There are a ton of good brands and styles to choose from. Keep in mind though, a rock slider step will only give you help at level with the tub. So if you want a lower step, you'll have to add one or go a different route. I made a home brew set using 2x6 tubing, and bolted them under the rocker pannel. This makes them a couple inches lower than sliders and offers a good step. I wheel purdy hard and rarely hit them, so the lower profile does'nt seem to be an issue as far as wheeling is concerned, so it is a matter of preference I suppose. Here's a pic so you can see what I've got.

hope that helps

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tip number 1 is get the BMW back !!

Just kidding. Nice Jeep!

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post
Tip number 1 is get the BMW back !!

Just kidding. Nice Jeep!

was thinking the same thing...

first and formost learn how to wrench and do your own work or this will short process... jeeps are money pits no ifs and or buts about it, dothe work yourself or it will add up to lots over time.....

REAL LYtho READ READ READ, before you do anything research... ASK.... everything you do to the jeep 10000% depends on 'WHAT' you going to do in the end with it...

if itsa DD and pavement princess, then no need for 6" lifts and 36" tires.... or anylift...

but ya... welcome to hell..... but it will be a fun kinda hell....

oh and I find it hard to beleive he did much of any rock crawling with that, unless it had some different tires and stuuf before you got it.... thiose tires would barely climb a wet driveway

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
We could use a little more info. on the Jeep.
Ok, the axels on it are stock.
Only rear locker on it. Lock Rite is the brand.
The shackles are custom, and springs are unknown, but not stock.
Will post some pics of it all here in a few...
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
jeeps are money pits no ifs and or buts about it, dothe work yourself or it will add up to lots over time.....
The tires alone on my BMW ran me $2000 a year! that is if I was lucky and didn't fine a nail... 6 speeding tickets last year alone kept my insurance at $350 a month... Problem is that it did 160mph and I just HAD to prove it every single day that I drove it! So... now with only $100 per month car insurance and NO $700 a month car payment, I hope the Jeep will be LESS of a money pit than my BMW
Especially since it will only go 70mph... downhill... with the wind behind me... 121,000 miles on a tired 4 cyl engine keeps me from making any trips now
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just want to thank everybody for your help!
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuruka View Post
The tires alone on my BMW ran me $2000 a year! that is if I was lucky and didn't fine a nail... 6 speeding tickets last year alone kept my insurance at $350 a month... Problem is that it did 160mph and I just HAD to prove it every single day that I drove it! So... now with only $100 per month car insurance and NO $700 a month car payment, I hope the Jeep will be LESS of a money pit than my BMW
Especially since it will only go 70mph... downhill... with the wind behind me... 121,000 miles on a tired 4 cyl engine keeps me from making any trips now
Ever by a set of 36 TSL.... 2G is pfft for tires.... now add gears, lockers, lifts, etc to run said tires....

the payment will be less, if you 'use' it expect a few hun a month maintence

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
cfuruka
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
Ever by a set of 36 TSL.... 2G is pfft for tires.... now add gears, lockers, lifts, etc to run said tires....

the payment will be less, if you 'use' it expect a few hun a month maintence
LOL! Well, like I said, this is going to be my main daily vehicle for awhile. So the 32's I have on it now are as big as I want to get. And I PRAY that I don't have to replace all those items every year!

One question I have is.... I think that I'm going to have to replace/rebuild the engine soon. I want to move up to the 6 cylinder instead of this 4 cylinder... Would it be cheaper to throw a 6 in my current Jeep, or should I just can this project and buy myself a Jeep that came stock with a 6 in it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.