Tips installing gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips installing gears

KrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach SaleFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-30-2002, 08:53 AM   #1
bighair

Tips installing gears

Hey guys,
I jsut got my 4.56's and I'm all excited to put them in. before I start any tips or tricks that could help me with my install? its a Ford 8.8 and a D30. was hoping for a licker, but no such luck. ran out of cash. hehe This is totally a lerning expirence for me so anything will help. don't want any expensive mistakes hehe

Thanks

Unread 07-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
UPnOVER

"was hoping for a (licker), but no such luck"\

How much is a licker?j/k

The only thing I have rain into is the back-lash setting. You have to get that right or you will be in a world of hurt. I don't know if you have pulled your axles before but if you have you should replace the seals, bearings for a good rebuild. Post some pics on the install. I would save the $200-$600 for a locker. Do it once and live happy. Goog Luck
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
bighair

hehe thanks

yeah, i'm so excited I didnt' even realise what I wrote. hehe licker, locker, what's the diff. hehe

the 8.8 was a complete rebuild already, i had to put it in so I could use the Jeep. the reason for the gear swap was that I have 3.07 in the front an 3.55 in the rear.. hehe so now I'm hurting to go out. but I got the new gears and want to put them in. but I think I will wait for the locker.. since I'm going to be opening up and swapping. hehe

Thanks for the info on backlash.

Unread 07-31-2002, 04:03 AM   #4
jeeptuff

I the way of backlash, when you bought your new ring and pinion you did get a shim kit too right?? If you don't have a dial indicator find someone who does and borrow it. You also could use some marker paint to see the travel path of your new ring and pinion as a precaution.. Just a few tips.. Gewtting your shims set for backlash is the trickiest part, just take you time, you can do it.. A walk in the park... Good luck to you!!
Unread 07-31-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Paulwpetrea

bighair,

Try here: Just what you are lookin' fer

|[URL=http://www.livingincebu.com/]Living In Cebu[/URL]|[URL=http://www.cebutours.com/]CebuTours.com[/URL]|[URL=http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb]LinC Forums[/URL]|
Paulwpetrea is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.