Tips installing gears - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips installing gears

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 07-30-2002, 08:53 AM   #1
bighair

Tips installing gears

Hey guys,
I jsut got my 4.56's and I'm all excited to put them in. before I start any tips or tricks that could help me with my install? its a Ford 8.8 and a D30. was hoping for a licker, but no such luck. ran out of cash. hehe This is totally a lerning expirence for me so anything will help. don't want any expensive mistakes hehe

Thanks

Unread 07-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
UPnOVER

"was hoping for a (licker), but no such luck"\

How much is a licker?j/k

The only thing I have rain into is the back-lash setting. You have to get that right or you will be in a world of hurt. I don't know if you have pulled your axles before but if you have you should replace the seals, bearings for a good rebuild. Post some pics on the install. I would save the $200-$600 for a locker. Do it once and live happy. Goog Luck
UPnOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
bighair

hehe thanks

yeah, i'm so excited I didnt' even realise what I wrote. hehe licker, locker, what's the diff. hehe

the 8.8 was a complete rebuild already, i had to put it in so I could use the Jeep. the reason for the gear swap was that I have 3.07 in the front an 3.55 in the rear.. hehe so now I'm hurting to go out. but I got the new gears and want to put them in. but I think I will wait for the locker.. since I'm going to be opening up and swapping. hehe

Thanks for the info on backlash.

Unread 07-31-2002, 04:03 AM   #4
jeeptuff

I the way of backlash, when you bought your new ring and pinion you did get a shim kit too right?? If you don't have a dial indicator find someone who does and borrow it. You also could use some marker paint to see the travel path of your new ring and pinion as a precaution.. Just a few tips.. Gewtting your shims set for backlash is the trickiest part, just take you time, you can do it.. A walk in the park... Good luck to you!!
Unread 07-31-2002, 05:15 PM   #5
Paulwpetrea

bighair,

Try here: Just what you are lookin' fer

|[URL=http://www.livingincebu.com/]Living In Cebu[/URL]|[URL=http://www.cebutours.com/]CebuTours.com[/URL]|[URL=http://www.livingincebuforums.com/ipb]LinC Forums[/URL]|
Paulwpetrea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.