tips for differential leak - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tips for differential leak

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
aufan
1986 CJ7 

Just did this a month ago......

Completely clean both surfaces with a gasket scraper and brake cleaner.
Check and make sure diff cover isn't badly warped from over tightening.
Apply 1/8" bead of Rtv ( make sure to use one that won't break down from gear oil)
Let it set up for a few minutes
Install cover and hand tighten bolts (very important)
Let this set for at least an hour or two( when I did mine it was 40-50 degrees outside so I let mine set overnight)
Next hand tighten down the bolts (make sure not to over tighten)
Fill with oil

Done!

aufan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Get a lube locker gasket and follow their torque sequence. It works perfectly.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Both ways work fine but for the little extra $ the lube locker sure was nice, no mess, no waiting, no worries.
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used RTV last time I changed my front fluid (couple times a year- was have mucky swampy trails with river crossings) I put the bead on then started to do something else for it to cure for a while.

The next day when I remembered I never put my ARB cover back on my front diff I decided against cleaning it all off and starting again. Figured it would act like a lube locker gasket (and hopefully not stick to both sides when I pull it again). Been several months and not a drip. :-) I did have a nice consistant bead though- if it had been a bad one I would have probably started over again.

Cheers!

~K
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.