tips for differential leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tips for differential leak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
mitchs1224
1989 YJ Wrangler 

tips for differential leak

after changing the fluid in my front diff after axle shaft swap, i now have a small leak from the diff, some guys said not to use a gasket and just use rtv or silicone only, some said yes use a gasket, i used a basic cork stye gasket from napa, what are some tips to get a leak free seal? when i first took it apart there was no gasket just gobs of silicone, is this the most common leak free method? thanx for the input.

mitchs1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Don't bother with the gasket - the cork ones don't do any good on differential covers.
The black and/or blue silicone gasket maker does just fine on it's own.
The trick is to get it evenly dispersed about the bolt flange.
I believe you should wait about 10 minutes before putting the cover on after you put the silicone on it.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use to buy the paper gaskets but just stopped. I have been using RTV for the last 6-7 years or so. I just put a 1/4" bead around the lip and circle the bolt holes. I make sure to clean the mating surfaces and degrease them. When I put the cover back on I just put it on and finger tighten the bolts. I then do something else on the jeep or go get a beverage. After that I torque the bolts in a criss-cross pattern and fill it up.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

silicone.....

never used a gasket on my diffs not sure on the 10 minute wait... I know I.. like louie.. hand balm it and usually have a smoke or somehting before I tighten them down, but a few occasions I have just popped it on and tightened it down and it was fine as I was in a hurry to go wheeling in the morning....so......

waiting a bit is preferred tho...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use black or red RTV and finger tighten it until it starts to ooze out, then wait an hour before tightening it down. Then fill. Never have any leaks. Be sure to go around each bolt hole too. You will be tempted to put a large bead around there, but it doesn't take more than an 1/8" bead or so. The most important part is to make sure both surfaces are cleaned of old gasket material/oil and then wiped down with acetone or brake cleaner.

EDIT: I could have just waited and said, "What Louie said......"
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
silicone.....

never used a gasket on my diffs not sure on the 10 minute wait... I know I.. like louie.. hand balm it and usually have a smoke or somehting before I tighten them down, but a few occasions I have just popped it on and tightened it down and it was fine as I was in a hurry to go wheeling in the morning....so......

waiting a bit is preferred tho...
I've just put a bead on and stuck the cover on, finger tightened and then start torquing down many times. Those times were usually in the parking lot, at night, in cold weather. The key in my mind is a continuous bead and clean mating surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter315 View Post
I use black or red RTV and finger tighten it until it starts to ooze out, then wait an hour before tightening it down. Then fill. Never have any leaks. Be sure to go around each bolt hole too. You will be tempted to put a large bead around there, but it doesn't take more than an 1/8" bead or so. The most important part is to make sure both surfaces are cleaned of old gasket material/oil and then wiped down with acetone or brake cleaner.

EDIT: I could have just waited and said, "What Louie said......"
It never hurts to get more opinions.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Come to think of it, it did work better when I put the cover on (after getting the silicone on the cover correctly), finger tightened the bolts, and then waited to tighten them down.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
Come to think of it, it did work better when I put the cover on (after getting the silicone on the cover correctly), finger tightened the bolts, and then waited to tighten them down.
yep a single bead about 1/4 in diameter should wokr great..... no gaps tho... has to be continous... on

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hate silicone with a passion, so I try to avoid using it. Here is a writeup I did back in '09, and I'm still using the same Lube Locker gaskets that I used in the writeup.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...enance-728231/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I hate silicone with a passion, so I try to avoid using it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...enance-728231/
x2

I'm not exactly what you'd call a "neat" person, and I tend to get silicone all over *everything* when I work, ha ha.

The Lubelockers are totally worth it. Have them on both axles and they've never so much as wept.

The biggest thing with either method is to evenly torque all the bolts.

I usually hand tighten skipping every other bolt (going around twice) and then torque down using the same method. Works great!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I use this: The Right Stuff. Thing I like about it is there is no wait time. It's a great thing to keep in your trail tools. Can is pressurized, so you get a nice continuous bead. Literally apply, throw it on, torque down, fill and drive.

Also, if you need to get back in there (which we all do at some point) it doesn't take an 8lb sledge and cold chisel to get the cover off. I had to do this when I first put my Solid covers on using this: Ultra Black. Was told by a buddy that once this stuff cures you could take the bolts out and never look back. Then again, I bet he's never smacked rocks with his diff either. I wouldn't advise it, but it was definitely one b**** to get off.

Oh, and neither one has ever leaked on me.
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
firefighter315
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I'm still using the same Lube Locker gaskets that I used in the writeup.

Max
Max, so far I've been too cheap to get some. I think I would like to give them a dance so I don't have to break out the gasket scraper each time. I'll break down and get a couple one of these days.
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
cbl600r
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have put a new rear diff cover on with lube locker. I have the bolts down retry tight and it has started to leak. It has been sitting for about two months. So there is about a 3 inch puddle under the rear diff. What might i be doing wrong?
cbl600r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

yup, go with the Lube Locker gasket

if your covers mounting surface is flat/clean and you don't over torque the bolts, it will last a long time without any leaks

ETA: an FYI for you guys with auto transmissions, they also make trans pan gaskets. I just wish LubeLocker made oil pan and valve cover gaskets too.
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #15
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl600r View Post
I have put a new rear diff cover on with lube locker. I have the bolts down retry tight and it has started to leak. It has been sitting for about two months. So there is about a 3 inch puddle under the rear diff. What might i be doing wrong?
this isnt the answer.. When you tighten it down really tight you dimple the cover where the bolts are and squish the gasket out.. so it leaks.. You just need to have it all make contact.. Your going to need to pull the cover and get it straight again.. and get a new gasket.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.