Tips for changing brakes on '95 YJ.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips for changing brakes on '95 YJ..

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
JEEPJUICE999

Tips for changing brakes on '95 YJ..

Hi, I'm about to change the brakes on my 1995 YJ 2.5L for the first time since I purchased it, the problem is I've never changed drum brakes before. I was wondering if there are any tools that go along with changing drum brakes(as i learned with disc and the tool for loosening the calibers). Also if anyone has any advice or information on reference guides for this, ty in advance

JEEPJUICE999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Go slow, draw a pic of the parts and the springs.. Only do one wheel at a time.

That way when you mess up (we all do) you have another fully assembled wheel to compare it to.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The only hard part is re-tensioning the springs....a VERY large screwriver or prybar comes in handy. Wear protection, it's nasty stuff in there & it goes everywhere.

Loosen the bleed screw on the back of the plate FIRST & push the old shoes all the way in towards the center to make room for the new thicker shoes. Immediately retighten the bleeder & most of the time you don't have to mess w/ bleeding the system at all.

Wipe the drums' interior shiny surface clean & have them turned if they are really grooved (it's a couple bucks a drum).

Don't contaminate the new shoes w/ your greasy mitts....go wash them before you install the new shoes.

Go slow..you don't want a mistake here. The first one will take you 1 1/2 hours.....the second will take you 20 minutes. That's how we all learn!
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

These will make the job easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPJUICE999 View Post
Hi, I'm about to change the brakes on my 1995 YJ 2.5L for the first time since I purchased it, the problem is I've never changed drum brakes before. I was wondering if there are any tools that go along with changing drum brakes(as i learned with disc and the tool for loosening the calibers). Also if anyone has any advice or information on reference guides for this, ty in advance
btls.jpg  
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do your self a favor and buy the tools in Pat's pic. Brake spring pliers will save alot of swearing by themselves. They can be bought for about $10 @ the parts store. The retaining spring tool helps if you've never done it but I use a pair of pliers and have no trouble. The flare wrench is another must have for brake lines and bleeders. Don't cheap out here and get a good set or single. Check for proper size. Sears sells a set pretty cheap. HAve a Chilton or Haynes manual handy and be sure to get Shoes and the spring/ hardware kit. Use new springs and retainers. Clean the self adjusters good and use anti seize or hi temp brake grease on the threads and swivel ends. Don't throw the old shoes out! Most stores have a $5 core on them.
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on the Tools!!!!

Go to AutoZone/Advanced and see if they have a Drum brake servicing kit or whatever they call it. The 2 most important tools there are the reatining spring remover (screwdriver-type thing) and the "Spring pliers". Those 2 things make drum brakes SOOOOOO much easier. Screwdrivers just don't compare IMO.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't have the tools and decide to try this, that's fine. When you get really p***ed walk away for about 30 minutes to an hour. These springs will drive you nuts. Walking away will help you in getting them on. And as stated the first side will take you forever, next side time will be cut in half or better.
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

A word to the wise....

If you have never done drum brakes before, the best thing to have around is knowledgable, experienced help (if you can find it). The actual brake tools in the picture are definetely a help, but if you don't know how to use them you can forget doing it in a timely manner.

Ask me how I know.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
bmedeiros678
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What happened to pats pic?
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.