Tips on Bolting spreader bar to window? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Tips on Bolting spreader bar to window?

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Tips on Bolting spreader bar to window?

Replaced window hinge and seal now having major PROBLEMS getting the spreader bar and window to bolt together. Is there something I'm missing its like 6 inches off.

Is there any tips on getting this to close the gap so I can bolt this back together and enjoy my jeep that has been parked for weeks because of a window seal?

redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Get an OEM seal, or loosen your hinges and hinge plates and adjust the frame position for the out of spec seal you received.

I got one of those fat things and cut it in half with a big razor knife.

Some people use a ratchet strap from the frame to the rollbar, but some have also ruined their WS frame by putting too much force on it.

Easiest thing is just get the right seal.
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had kinda the same problem when I put my windshield frame back in with a new seal.

I think I loosened the long bolts that hold the bar to the roll bar as far as I could then installed the bolts to the windshield frame, then I tightened the long bolts back to get it all back together.

That 3 years ago and I've had no issues.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

6"? Really? That's quite the spread. Not to be an ***, but are you sure it's not in backwards? The "t" part is facing forward - correct?

A colleague at work just replaced his this week and it stood right up. I did mine last year and had to give a little tug to get it to fit, but nowhere near 6".

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
acat
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd take a ratchet strap on both sides of the windshield frame at the top and straight back to the main hoop of the roll cage. Also, loosening up the long bolt that holds the spreader bars to the main hoop would help give you some room. Make sure you're ratcheting back on both sides evenly so you don't crack the windshield. You could also adjust the length of the spreader bars at the rear of them ( there's a bolt and an insert that goes into the bar). That might give you enough room to get them connected and would at least allow you to be able to drive it if you don't have a top on. I imagine that if you at least got them hooked within a couple weeks they may squish down enough to allow you to pull back the extra distance. Also, maybe try heating the seal a little bit. If these efforts don't get you there you need to get a different seal. Good luck!
acat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

6 inches off
your windshield has got to be leaning forward like a ships bridge. I would look at the whole hinge and seal again because that is crazy off.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased an oem seal from quadratec, the window sits back on an angle it's not completely up right and 6" might be a lol exaggerated. I'm just clueless *** to why it would be this difficult.

Someone said shave the seal down won't that ruin it? Also the bolt for the 3 torx bracket popped and getting to that on the drivers side thru a speaker is impossible.

Last edited by redbullrr; 05-30-2013 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: done on iphone dell auto correct
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you are that far off there's no way your doors are going to even try to work for you. Did you verify that you didn't put the seal in backward as suggested above? Are you in Brentwood in Nor Cal? If so, I can help you on Monday if you haven't sorted this out by then. Send me a pm if that's the case.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can you post a pic of how it sits now so we can get eyes on it?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post
If you are that far off there's no way your doors are going to even try to work for you. Did you verify that you didn't put the seal in backward as suggested above? Are you in Brentwood in Nor Cal? If so, I can help you on Monday if you haven't sorted this out by then. Send me a pm if that's the case.
Hey Thanks for the offer, but its Brentwood Long Island NY.
The Seal in in the write spot with the T Facing out. The seals looked identical and followed how it was previously installed.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Rproject;15498364]Can you post a pic of how it sits now so we can get eyes on it?[/QUOTE

OK Will due.
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

We replaced ours with the quadratec seal and had no issues. I just had to pull a little on the top of the windshield frame while my daughter started the torx from the roll cage. Something's very wrong. Pics would help like someone said.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91
05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wait. You replaced the hinge too? Your problem may be there instead of the seal?
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter92YJ View Post
Wait. You replaced the hinge too? Your problem may be there instead of the seal?
Yes had to replace the passenger side window hinge. The old one snapped when moving it to get to seal. It was replaced off an 87 as well. I got it from Jeepguy631.
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well rachet straps did the trick, thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.