Timkin or Luk slave cylinder? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timkin or Luk slave cylinder?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Timkin or Luk slave cylinder?

After 4 days of desert running through rock and sand, my internal clutch slave blew out on the way home. I guess I should be happy it didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. I know I should do the internal to external swap, but if I decide to just change out the internal, what are your thoughts between the Luk slave and Timkin? I know both have a pretty good reputation, the Timkin is a bit more.

Unread 01-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Very good question, it ranks right up there with some of the hardest questions of history (*some of them included below......). The cursed internal slave was only reliably replaced by the OEM from the Stealership. Those are no longer in stock/made, and what is left generally is a low quality replacement. Many Jeepers here on the forum have had to replace their internal slaves up to 3 times to get one that lasts, and numerous Jeepers have had them fail right out of the box. I really don't know what quality auto shops use, and I don't know what it is they use at the Stealership anymore; perhaps they just refuse to do Clutch work on YJs even. Luk does make good clutches, but I can't endorse every component they offer in their clutch kit. Recent TJ clutch I did they had the plastic body throwout bearing in the kit. I don't know that many have had good luck particularly with the Luk internal slave. Of course they will tell you they will guarantee it, but do you really want to pull your tranny back off to put another one in and hope it will last after the first few pedal pushes.
I'm watching every thread I can find for someone to post in the current best internal slave, and of course, most of those threads deteriorate into "change to external slave." Of course that is very good advice, but it's not like everyone has the spare change or the inclination to do this. Start collecting up parts though..........
If you have to try one brand, try the TIMKIN. I know they are manufacturers of very high quality bearings, but I don't know if that equates to a very high quality internal clutch slave. Let us know what you come up with, and I'll keep watching threads to see if anyone finally discovers the Holy Grail of internal slaves. But I wonder, what brand is it the Stealership sells you if you call their parts counter and ask for a YJ internal clutch slave..............?? Or do they just tell you "we no longer sell them." And what part do they install if they do a clutch for you? in a pre-94 YJ? All these unanswered questions.

* Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?
* If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
* Does fuzzy logic tickle?
* If they arrested the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery?
* I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
* How come you never hear about gruntled employees?
* I don’t have a solution, but I admire your problem.
* If a tin whistle is made out of tin (and it is), then what, exactly,is a fog horn made out of?
* If quitters never win, and winners never quit, what fool came up with, “Quit while you’re ahead”?
* Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check?
* Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
* What hair color do they put on the driver’s licenses of bald men?
* What WAS the best thing before sliced bread

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

* Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?
* If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it FedUP?
* Does fuzzy logic tickle?
* If they arrested the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery?
* I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions.
* How come you never hear about gruntled employees?
* I don’t have a solution, but I admire your problem.
* If a tin whistle is made out of tin (and it is), then what, exactly,is a fog horn made out of?
* If quitters never win, and winners never quit, what fool came up with, “Quit while you’re ahead”?
* Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check?
* Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
* What hair color do they put on the driver’s licenses of bald men?
* What WAS the best thing before sliced bread

Opihi ----- just how much of that bottle of Cognac is left ???

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 01-05-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Used products from both companies. Either one should be good. Don't know if you have already or not, but check online at rockauto or find coupon codes online. That is what I always do before buying.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

On these hydraulic items, it's not really the price that should be our guides, but the manufacturers of the internal slaves. We still haven't come up with the one, go-to product here. It seems unfair that everytime someone buys an internal slave, they end up being the guinea pig for the forum at large on this, but we as of yet do not have a single codified thread regarding good/bad experiences with individual manufacturers of the internal slave. Reno, now it's your turn I suppose. Whichever product you buy, please let us know, and keep us informed of how well your internal slave lasts.

And of course, apologies for the "great questions of the universe," it's just that we don't have answers for which internal slave to go with, with any authority, or experience--it's all just anecdotes rather than hard evidence. Maybe someone who owns a shop that caters to YJ clutch jobs could have some insight.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 01-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #6
JohnnyZJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

jus thad my Slave crap out on me too.
literally just ordered the LUK kit and a LUK master cylinder online from Rock Auto. whole thing was 250$ USD. i just went stock replacement. i've done this once before, on a different YJ. i don't think it matters who you go with. some of them fail, some don't.
you should probably do the external slave swap so when it craps out again, you don't have to pull the tranny i guess. or something. i just went stock again.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" toyos.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

JohnnyZJ--please come back to this thread after you've got a few miles on your LUK internal slave and let us know how it's doing. I am sure it will be helpful to the forum. My experience was that I just changed over to internal slave when I yanked my tranny, so my internal slave personal experience is pretty much nil.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be the test rat for the Timkin. I know I'm going to kick myself for not doing the external, but I have a another desert run coming up and I can do this fix pretty quick. If it last as long as the original, I'm good, if it blows fast it's external from that point.
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As with others - excellent question. I did a Luk kit for a friend and warranted my own work when I had to replace the slave :| I asked her to get a slave closer to OE and she came back with what I believe was a Timken. Again - they could all be made by the same Chinese OEM's now and it's very hard to tell them apart.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68 View Post
As with others - excellent question. I did a Luk kit for a friend and warranted my own work when I had to replace the slave :| I asked her to get a slave closer to OE and she came back with what I believe was a Timken. Again - they could all be made by the same Chinese OEM's now and it's very hard to tell them apart.
Ouch!!!! how long has the new slave lasted?
Unread 01-05-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
mizzle00
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I replaced the clutch and flywheel in my 92. I went with the Luk Clutch Kit which included the internal slave from Rock Auto. I also replaced the master cylinder (from advance, looks exactly like OEM) and all new fluid. I will report here if I have any problems.
mizzle00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for checking in, and welcome to the forum.

Honestly, I'm not trying to take over OP's thread, but I think this thread is going to get enough visibility on internal slave issues and options that maybe we can come up with an internal slave concensus, beyond just saying change over to external which obviously isn't the answer for everyone.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #13
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
Ouch!!!! how long has the new slave lasted?
Hey ! About 3 or so years now Fortunately if they last past 3 weeks or so it seems like they are in for a long haul
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Schaef81
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72
I'll be the test rat for the Timkin. I know I'm going to kick myself for not doing the external, but I have a another desert run coming up and I can do this fix pretty quick. If it last as long as the original, I'm good, if it blows fast it's external from that point.
Why overlook Sachs?
Unread 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef81 View Post
Why overlook Sachs?
Anyone have any helpful input into experience with the Sachs internal slave? Let's build up our collective knowledge and see if we can answer this question of the most reliable internal slave unit available on the market currently. Who else you got. Name names.

*why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
*why is a turnpike generally the straightest road around?
*etc

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.