Timing question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing question

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 10-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
chorizote
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Timing question

Here's my problem, took my jeep to the smog check and it failed, acording to the tech the timing was at 1, so went and check it and set it at 7 since its says that it needs to be a 9 +-2, went back and still the tech measured at 3. went back and noticed that it was at 7, then set up close to 10, and HC came back as high so that was a Failed smog, after reading up of what could have been the problems, i check on the vacuum hoses and find one that was broken, replaced and decided to set the timing right on 7, and i finally noticed that after setting up at 7, i turned it off, and on again and measured again.. the the timing was off, tried different times, and some times it gives me the right timing and others, wonders around -2 or 0. went and inspected the harmonic balancer and seems ok, woould i need to actually take it off to inspect it? also, if its not the harmonic balancer that its causing the weird timing readings, what else can it be?

jeep wrangler 90, 4.2L, Carb.

chorizote is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you disconnect the vacuum advance from the distributor when setting the timing?

You might have a sticky vacuum advance mech.

You might have a very loose timing chain.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
chorizote
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes i did disconnect the vacuum advance and "plugged" the hose.
Unread 10-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Set your engine ( by hand ) to #1 TDC. Pull your distributor cap off, and move the crank ( by hand) and see how far you move the crank before the rotor starts moving. Go back and forth, using the timing marks, and it will give a good indication as to the wear on your timing chain.
I just pulled mine the other night and it was so bad I could almost take the chain off without removing the sprockets.
rogerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv View Post
Set your engine ( by hand ) to #1 TDC. Pull your distributor cap off, and move the crank ( by hand) and see how far you move the crank before the rotor starts moving. Go back and forth, using the timing marks, and it will give a good indication as to the wear on your timing chain.
I just pulled mine the other night and it was so bad I could almost take the chain off without removing the sprockets.
Great advice.

Timing chain or loose/broken mag pickup in dizzy are about the only 2 possible causes of this condition.
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Rog, did you have brown crunchies in your oil pan when you dropped it?
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Old4x- nothing in the pan at all. I'll send pics to ya in the morning.
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
chorizote
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Roger and old4x. will check both, starting with the mag pickup, seems easier, if thats "ok" will do the chain inspection.

Chorizote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
chorizote
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Finally had time to removed the harmonic balancer, and the chain cover, along with the chain and sprokets, just as suspected, the chain was loose. I have another question, chilton says when removing the chain, the dot marks on the cam and cram sprockets need to be opposite to each other, but on the installation part, they say to position the chain and sprockets, with the timing marks facing out, is this a mistake?

Julian
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Look at the factory manual on this. But, if you don't move anything, remove the gears, put new gears and chain on, and you will be fine.

IIRC, the book calls for both dots at 90 degrees, and count the links,....etc. The factory manual is what you really want.
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The cam bolt, cam sprocket timing mark, crankshaft timing mark, and the crankshaft bolt will ALL be lined up.

Both sprocket marks facing out, closest to meeting each other.

Easy-peasy lemon squeezee.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Old chain
http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0008.mp4

New chain
http://static.photobucket.com/player.../VIDEO0009.mp4

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

At least your on your way to having her running like a top again.
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
chorizote
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, i got it wrong, i was reading the installation instructions wrong, the sprockets need to be put back just the way they were taking out. Also, the chain was as loose as the chain on mean max video. I ordered the set today and the gaskets, but they dont have the harmonic balancer, tried the boys, the zone.. and O.really... any ideas who has it? would like to replace it new now that everything its out.
Unread 11-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Try summit racing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.