timing issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > timing issues

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
DEWCLAW
1990 YJ Wrangler 

timing issues

1991 YJ 4.0L I have the number 1 cylinder TDC notch on HB is at 0 why is my rotor pointing between #1 and #5 in the distributor cap? The engine runs rough and has no power.Backfiring and slow throttle response.Fuel pressure is good new filters new wires,lugs cap rotor and coil.What am I missing?

Unread 04-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWCLAW View Post
1991 YJ 4.0L I have the number 1 cylinder TDC notch on HB is at 0 why is my rotor pointing between #1 and #5 in the distributor cap? The engine runs rough and has no power.Backfiring and slow throttle response.Fuel pressure is good new filters new wires,lugs cap rotor and coil.What am I missing?
Have you pulled this distributer?

If not, the best thing to do is put a timing light on this engine and see what the timing light tells you. You may have jumped time.

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
DEWCLAW
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled and set the distributor to pointing to number 1 and the engine would not start.
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWCLAW View Post
I pulled and set the distributor to pointing to number 1 and the engine would not start.
Did you pull this distributer after I asked my question? Or did you do this then you had problems. I am confused because you stated in post #1 that it runs rough and backfires. Then in post #3 you are saying it does not start.

I am a bit

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a write up I put together to attempt to help anyone who pulled their dizzy and now got a bit confused.

Mark the base of your distributor below the cap where #1 tower is on your distributor cap. Pull #1 spark plug. Insert finger in #1 spark plug hole.

Turn engine with socket and breaker bar until you feel a whoosh of air pushing past that finger in #1 cylinder. Remove finger and drop a long bladed screwdriver or wooden dowel into #1 cylinder.

Slowly bring #1 piston up to TDC. That is where #1 piston is at its highest point. You are now at TDC on the compression stroke of #1 piston.

Now check your timing marks. It should be at TDC also. Pull your distributor cap. Your rotor should be at or just before #1 tower of that mark you made noting the position of #1 tower on your distributor cap.

If not something is not right….obviously. That could be a jumped timing chain, or a bad distributor gear. If the timing marks are off but it runs fine then the most likely culprit is the harmonic balancer which is a two piece affair has had the outside layer ‘slip’ so the marks are off but the timing is correct.

If your rotor is not where it should be and everything else is OK slide the distributor up just enough to get the distributor drive gear past the cam drive gear to move the rotor into the correct position. Now before you slide the distributor back into the engine you need to back off the rotor position a little. Where you start is not where the rotor orientation will end up because of the helical cut gears. The distributor shaft will have to advance some clockwise because of that gear design to end up in the right position. If you leave the rotor on the distributor you will see that advancing movement.

Once you have that in right tighten down the distributor hold down bolt until it is snug but you can still turn the distributor if possible on your (older)engine. Slap on cap, and try to fire her up. You may need to move the distributor some if possible until she does fire up. Then set your timing to whatever the specs are, IF possible (older engines). On the newer engine timing is governed by the 'brain' and is not adjustable.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.