Timing help! Replaced timing chain now I can't get the timing right. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing help! Replaced timing chain now I can't get the timing right.

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Timing help! Replaced timing chain now I can't get the timing right.

I recently had some timing issues and turned out the timing chain had wore a few teeth off the cam gear. Lined up the dots counted the 15 pins and put it all back together with a new chain and gears. Now the best I can do is some pops and bangs coming out of the carb. This is not my first time timing a engine. It is my first inline six. I have timed 4cyl and v8s with no problems. I have found tdc (so I thought) at least a few times. I have tried to time it by watching the lifters and I don't completly understand how to do this method. I have put my finger over #1 while cycling the engine and after the long suction I get a smaller puff of air out the plug hole which is what I thought was tdc. This is were the timing sits now banging and popping when you turn the engine over. I have tried a tooth each way from there and then put it back to that spot again. At one point in the engines cycle I get a huge puff of air out #1, I was told this is not tdc. Each time I have been lining the timing marks on the balancer with 0 and Pointing the rotor at #1. Is it possible something got damaged when I was turning the engine over while the timing was out(timing chain slipped). Help please before I start tearing the motor down.
Selby

90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible you're is 180* out? (meaning you're at TDC, but for exhaust, not compression) I've done this before in a 4 cyl

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have considered the 180 out and flipped the distributor 180 several times. I also get some high pitched squeals some times when the engine is turning over, I am not sure if it is the belt or something internal, I checked the alternator and other pulleys not them sqeaking.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
Unread 01-20-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you might have the valve timing out 180. You can tell which is the exhust and intake valve by looking at the positions of the manifold inlets. Turn the motor and watch those two valve rockers go up and down for the intake stroke, then compression stroke, then power stroke, then exhust. For the compression stroke they should both be closed. TDC there is what you must have to get the valves or the ignition timed. Also, make sure you are looking at the right marks. Sometimes the sprockets have marks that look like they should be the timing makes but are not. Normally the proper marks are close to the edge.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #5
Pittsbuilder
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Verify TDC #1 by inserting a screwdriver or something into the spark plug hole, and slowly turning the engine until the screwdriver stops. There should be several degrees of crank rotation where the screwdriver wont move at all. Split the difference between where it stops ascending and starts descending. thats TDC. Also, verify that both valves are closed during this stroke. Once this is complete, check your dizzy position, and give it a try. If that doesnt work, your problem problem most likely lies in the cam timing. Make sure the cam is indicating TDC when the #1 piston is at TDC. DON'T trust the mark on the balancer, until you have verified it using the method listed above. They have been known to be off in the past
Pittsbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Is it possible you're is 180* out? (meaning you're at TDC, but for exhaust, not compression) I've done this before in a 4 cyl
That happened to me too. It was easy to fix but left me confused as hell for hours. I would rotating one of the gears one turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

when I watch the rockers for the valves they both go up and down(two at the front), at no time are they both down at the same time. If the dots on the timing gears line up and I have the 15 pins between them with the cam gear at 1:00 can the timing gears be out 180? If so help me understand how to get it right.
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If thats the problem the way to fix it is to take the chain off, rotate the cam gear one full turn and then line the dots back up and put the chain on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Alexsdad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

with the above.
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
chato77

hey buddy i have a better technique for the timing..

hey selby i know that your timing is getting on your last nerve but i have a solution for you buddy i learned this from my uncle master mechanic oh and his mexican so that trick
is from his old country and let me tell you it works .ok first thing you do is take out the #1 PLUG&WIRE get a plastic bag and tear a small piece then ball it up then gently push the plastic inside then you have your friend give it a click when you see that plastic ball fly out with pressure then you get a thin flat head screwdriver shove it in there then your friend again will give a few clicks till you hit tdc you will sense the piston at the very top thats when you know your there wish you luck.....
chato77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

personally.. I wouldnt put anything "loose" in my motor.. just remove plug 1.. hold your finger over the hole... when you feel pressure then start using a screw driver. Makes it easier if you use a wratchet and socket on the crank bolt to turn it

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Larry93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

TDC happens every rotation of the crank so setting your #1 cylinder is of no issue. The cam rotates at half the crank speed so your TDC is really when the piston is at the peak of its up stroke and the cam lobes for both valves are at base circle. The valve cover off is a must when you set the timing, you can clearly watch the rockers movement in relation to the crank then. You know when you have both valves on the base circle when the rockers are slack on the valves and you can twist your push rods with your fingers.
Larry93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry93 View Post
TDC happens every rotation of the crank so setting your #1 cylinder is of no issue. The cam rotates at half the crank speed so your TDC is really when the piston is at the peak of its up stroke and the cam lobes for both valves are at base circle. The valve cover off is a must when you set the timing, you can clearly watch the rockers movement in relation to the crank then. You know when you have both valves on the base circle when the rockers are slack on the valves and you can twist your push rods with your fingers.
Cam rotates at 2X the crank speed...

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
Larry93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Cam rotates at 2X the crank speed...
No it is half the speed, if it was twice engines would not run to long.
Larry93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wait, now I'm confused.......I know this is gonna set off a firestorm. I think you're right since I read a few posts and did a google. I will have to get back on this one. I may be a total bozo. Please be gentle with me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.