Timing Chain Time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing Chain Time

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Jakers09
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Timing Chain Time

So I've got about 165k on the 4.0 and I know I have a few issues to tackle.

The first thing I know needs to be corrected is the rubber on the harmonic balancer is coming out. As long as I'm in there, I'm thinking I should go ahead and replace the timing chain.

So here are the questions:

1. If I'm replacing the timing chain, should I go ahead and replace the sprockets as well? That is, should I purchase the whole set or just the chain.

2. I've read where you don't have to remove the oil pan in order to to do the timing chain - however, as long as I'm messy, should I go ahead and do the seal on the pan?

2a. If I'm going to do the oil pan, should I just go ahead and do the oil pump?

2b. If I'm going to do the oil pan, should I just go ahead and attempt the rear main seal? It might be leaking, but it might be the oil pan/valve cover.

3. Lastly, if I'm going to have the bottom off the motor, obviously going to inspect everything... Should I go ahead and re-do the gasket on the valve cover and inspect the topside. (btw, I'm a noob so I'll probably just say "wow, looks cool" and put everything back together...)

Any suggestions on parts sourcing and part numbers will be helpful. Also, beside the harmonic balancer puller and the pullers for the timing chain, are there any other special tools I'll need to rent?

FYI, I've got O'Reilly and Napa local.

Our favorite game is 'SMACK A JEEP' - started off as a way for my buddy to get even with his girlfriend's slug-bug fetish. Simply smack her in the face as hard as you can when you see a Jeep Wrangler and yell, 'SMACK A JEEP!!!!'

Never actually smacked anybody, but my kids LOVE the game. Now my whole family plays it - and so do my kids' friends!
Jakers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
SimplyTron
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I get the sprockets too, its only a little extra and you already have it apart. I did mine on my 2.5 and I didn't have to take the oil pan off just had to loosen the front 4(?) bolts.
SimplyTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Get the timing chain SET. This will include new sprockets along with the chain.
As far as everything else goes, it's up to you. If it is leaking oil etc, then by all means fix it.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Pan gasket replacement will depend on the condition of the gasket where it meets the timing cover. I had already replaced mine with the one piece Fel-pro one so there was no need. Had it been the original, I would have just replaced the pan one too since it just crumbled when I removed it the first time. If you do drop the pan, I would definitely replace the rear main seal as it is easy to do and you already have the pan out of the way. I did not replace my oil pump as it is still putting out 35-40 at idle. Make sure you get the one piece pan gasket. I would also do the valve cover as they are notorious leakers and the crank ventilation orifice likely needs to be cleaned.

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
1tuffyj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^this^

I did my 2.5l timing set not long ago. Got all parts from rockauto. The gasket that comes with it is junk. DONT use it. Its supposed to mate w ur stock oil pan gasket but it don't. Get a new oil pan gasket (so its all 1 pc) n drop the pan w the timing cover. As far as the rest I've always been told don't touch the rear main unless its leaking. Just fyi its a 2pc seal n not as easy as u may think to replace.
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

like 1tuffyj says the rear main seal can turn into a goatrope. if it ain't broke don't fix it.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Always replace the chain and the sprockets. Chances are your original cam gear is toast, anyway: you'll see.

Absolutely replace the rear main seal while you are in there. It is not hard, and you are going to have to to it eventually anyway. Pulling the pan is the hardest part, and you have to do that anyway if you are changing the timing chain.

Don't lose or forget the spacers on the timing cover and don't lose or forget to reinstall the cam tensioner spring and plunger.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.