Timing chain question concerning '88 93k miles I6 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing chain question concerning '88 93k miles I6

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
TonyX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
A month later this issue popped up? Then I would guess that your radio install was without 'collateral damage" then..

Timing must be the problem if you have fuel spark and oxygen. Timing must be verified with a timing light at this point. My guess would be siting here would be the distributer in is wrong or the timing chain set was installed wrong. So at this point the timing should be verified before anything else is to be looked at. One thing at a time must be eliminated to discover what is keeping this engine from firing.
Alright thank you, I will let him know and look into getting a timing light and going from there. Again, thank you for your information .

TonyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
TonyX2

Ok, we are going to get a timing light today but everywhere we read it says to verify if everything is working the engine has to be at idle. Obviously we can't do that.. so we are wondering.. once we hook this up and "aim" it where it needs to be aimed while starting it up.. what are we suppose to be looking for?
TonyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyX2 View Post
Ok, we are going to get a timing light today but everywhere we read it says to verify if everything is working the engine has to be at idle. Obviously we can't do that.. so we are wondering.. once we hook this up and "aim" it where it needs to be aimed while starting it up.. what are we suppose to be looking for?
Hook up timing light to number # spark plug. Located degree markings on harmonic balancer. Highlight 0 degrees with chalk or anything else that shows up. Point timing light at harmonic balancer that has the timing pointer on it. Other guy cranks over engine. When the timing light lights up, is your mark, (@O degrees) under or very near the pointer? IF not then you have a problem with your timing. See what you get and let us know...

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What we need to establish is the timing on this engine. The timing chain has stretched and jumped a few teeth. That ruins the relationship between the crankshaft/camshaft and distributer.

Same thing happens if the timing chain was not replaced properly.

I'm addressing this issue of yours as if I had this engine in my garage and I was doping out the problem. So why hit you with all the possible problems I might think of and possible fixes there might be. It could get very confusing for all of us.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 10-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If the timing light tells you that the timing chain is not in right go to this thread that our fellow JF member Keith460 posted the instructions in post #4 for setting up the timing chain in a 258 engine.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/re...issues-883437/

Let us assume that your timing light says your timing chain is in right. You now have to find out if the distributer is in properly also. To do so you must bring this engine up to Top Dead Center (TDC) mechanically.

First make sure you have the plug wire on in the right firing order. I know sounds dumb but it is woirth looking at one more time...trust me.
OK, they are fine now mark the base of the distributor where the #1 plug tower is on the distributer cap.

Next, remove #1 spark plug wire from #1 spark plug and remove #1 spark plug. Stick your finger in the plug hole. Have you Dad ‘tap’ the ignition until you begin to feel a whoosh of air….that’s compression. STOP tapping the ignition!!

Place a socket and breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt. Also place a 'flag' IE: along screwdriver blade or wooden dowel or piece of coat hanger into #1 cylinder. That gives you a visual on where that piston is.

Now SLOWLY bring this engine up to TDC with the socket/breaker bar on what is now the compression stroke. Note the timing marks and that ‘flag we placed in #1 spark plug hole. When the timing marks are at TDC the ‘flag’ should be showing you the piston at its highest travel point. IF you go past TDC go around two times to get back there

Okaaaaaay, you still with me? Now remove the distributer cap. In relationship to that mark on the distributor body where is your rotor? If it is not point at that mark or it is not just before it then the distributer is not in the right position.

Pull the distributor up just enough to move the rotor to where you can drop the distributor back down and it slides downward and forward to the right spot. Now you have the distributor in the correct position. Slap on the cap and wires fire her up and have a beer.

If you have been cranking this thing over for any length of time replace the oil and filter you may have a load of gas that has washed down into the base from not being burned.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.