Timing Chain or Distributor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing Chain or Distributor?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Timing Chain or Distributor?

My 1990 2.5L died last week on the way to work. No noises, just quit running at 55 mph. When I tried to restart it would crank, no fire. At times the starter would hiccup and it would pop back through the TB. I'm thinking its the timing chain so I rotated the crank and there's zero movement from the distributor rotor. I really want to avoid pulling the distributor if I can but how do I know for sure that it's the timing chain and not the distributor gear drive without pulling it?

brentd711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The only other way would be to pull the front cover. You will still be stuck with the task of ensuring that the timing is correct. Pulling and reinstalling the dizzy is no big deal.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
jeepnaked89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you could prob just try to turn the rotor by hand it shouldn't move much if it free spins then you would know, or pull the plugs and turn the engine with a breaker bar look through the oil filler and look for valve train movement
[QUOTE=molshove;11431841]"I'll disregard the second half of your post with the understanding that this kind of **** flies in the YJ forum, cluttered with 16 year olds and infantile adults with no future - but we don't support it here."[/QUOTE]
jeepnaked89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
The only other way would be to pull the front cover. You will still be stuck with the task of ensuring that the timing is correct. Pulling and reinstalling the dizzy is no big deal.

Dwayne
Assumed timing is correct if marks are aligned on timing chain sprockets.

Rotor doesn't spin freely by hand so perhaps that's my sign that it's still engaged?
Unread 10-24-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take the valve cover off. See if the valves are operating.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Timing chain is good, distributor shaft siezed and cleaned off some teeth. Assume I need to install a new distributor and make sure the timing marks on the sprockets are aligned and rotor points to #1 cylinder?
Unread 10-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the timing chain is good then there is no reason to think the dots on the sprockets are not aligned.

Just install a new dizzy gear, reinstall the dizzy and align to TDC on #1 on the compression stroke as often described here on the forum. And find out why the dizzy seized and correct.

Your call on whether you need to pull the oil pan to clean out the pieces that fell inside.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would be worried about the teeth on the cam, the teeth on the dizzy got wiped out so I would also worry about metal getting sucked up into the oil pump and causing damage there.

Dwayne
Unread 10-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

At least drain the oil through a cloth( strainer) and see how much metal you have in the oil. Personally I would drop the oil pan myself.

Pull the old dizzy out and see if it binding. If it is not binding then you need to look farther than just replacing the dizzy. Examine the cam gear real good. You can do this through the dizzy opening and a good light while you have some one turn the engine over by hand( pull all you plugs) it will take two full rotations of the crank to see all the way around the cam gear.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
brentd711
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on pulling the pan to check for debris and have ordered a reman distributor from Autozone. The distributor shaft was seized...hard. It locked up quick enough to only take about 2 or 3 rows of teeth off the brass gear. The distributor cap was a loose fit and one of the screws was oversized to hold it onto the distrubutor. Probably got enough moisture so the shaft rusted and eventually locked up.

Two questions for the pros...there's a tin shield of some sort on the face of the crank sprocket that seems to be covering the timing mark. Does this pop off so I can see the dot? Can someone explain how you know when the number 1 piston is on the compression stroke?
Unread 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This should help you. Pelican Technical Article: Setting 911 Distributor Static Timing

Dwayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.