Timing Belt Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing Belt Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-16-2001, 01:24 PM   #1
Johnny'sJeepen

Timing Belt Question

Hello all fellow Jeep fans. I have an 89 YJ I6 283 with 104K on it. Original timing belt. Was wondering what the span of the belt will usually give me. And if it goes while driving, will it ruin the block. Is it a zero clearence motor? Any comments would be appreicated. Thanks

Johnny'sJeepen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2001, 05:17 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Don't you mean timing chain?

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2001, 05:36 PM   #3
Johnny'sJeepen

Ok Timing Chain? Im not sure . Please confirm which it is. Would this be something that i will have to replace down the line. And if so, will a new chain cost a lot. And what mileage around should this be done? Any ideas?
Unread 12-17-2001, 05:57 PM   #4
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't worry about your timing chain. It may last for 200K miles or longer or it may go at 100K. If it does start to go you will have a very distinct rattle at idle caused by slack in the chain. Then when RPMs increase less slack less noise.

You can also get a large socket and put it on your harmonic balancer (large bottom pulley) and see if there is in play left or right. No play means your chain is good and tight.

So, bottom line if it's not broke don't try and fix it.

My 2ó
~RýCK

Unread 12-17-2001, 07:45 PM   #5
Johnny'sJeepen

Thanks for the advice
Unread 12-19-2001, 03:32 PM   #6
jeepsonly

Whoa, so just to confirm here: the timing chain in his YJ won't destroy his engine when/if it breaks like it would in my car (and did in one of our cars)?

I have no experience with Jeep timing chains, btw, just wanting to confirm this is what you're saying.
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2001, 03:52 PM   #7
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I had an 88 Grand Am with the 2.5L that scrapped the timing GEARS about 3.5 hours away from home and it did no damage to the engine. All it took to fix was new gears, labor, and misc parts (after I finally got the car home) and the car still runs; I still see the car a couple times a week around town (183,000 miles when I sold it). Never had that experience with a Jeep (and I hope I never do).

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.