Timing after Nutter-What am I doing wrong? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing after Nutter-What am I doing wrong?

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copleydad View Post
Replaced my regular copper top Champions gapped at .035 with regular copper top Champions gapped at .025, and she looked at me and screamed "HELL NO!". She didn't like that at all. Ran so much rougher, both at idle and with the throttle opened up.

I'm at a loss here. The upside is I know every screw, bolt, nut, vacuum line and wire associated with the carb and ignition. If only one was marked "fix me".
OK, so what happens if you go in the other direction? Try and open the gaps back up to 045.
Its not uncommon to have flakey ignition due to insufficient gap - a wider gap gives more area for the spark and gas to mix and go boom.

oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman

OK, so what happens if you go in the other direction? Try and open the gaps back up to 045.
Its not uncommon to have flakey ignition due to insufficient gap - a wider gap gives more area for the spark and gas to mix and go boom.
Was wondering about that. I got a set of Autolite plugs once speced for the Jeep and they were set at .045.

Seeing how I can change the plugs black out drunk with my eyes closed at this point, may as well give it a shot.

Let you know in a bit

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #33
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's a no go. She doesnt hate it as much as the narrow gap, but stumbles under idle worse and under throttle.

With the regular plugs, she runs great out on the road. It's just when it's idling that it totally sucks.

Not ready to grab a rifle and climb a water tower yet, but getting close.

Why does that number one plug make me bleed EVERY time?

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #34
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Reg plugs back in. Only thing left is wires and points.

Gonna go grab a new wire set first. Have 2 year old Bosch on there now, warranty at autozone for life, so what the heck. Give it a shot.

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM   #35
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wait, it only happens at idle? That is a big clue to me. It says that its more likely a fuel prob and not anything electrical. Because if it was electric, then its far more likely to happen under load, or *all* the time. I would say, find an MC2100 guru, there's a bunch of them around here.
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #36
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

89YJSAHARA258 seems to know a lot about the MC2100, and he was a great help with helping walk me through the carb adjustments and timing setup. It seems like it is almost starving for air, or fuel, most noticeably at idle. But, with all I've done to this thing, I can honestly rule out carb and timing issues, and ignition component problems. For now anyways.........

Just put on the new wires, no change. Someone at the parts place made the suggestion the cat may be starting to clog, putting back pressure on the engine. One thing we noticed after I swapped the wires, the "stumble" gets more pronounced as the engine gets warmer. It "chokes" a bit at around 1500 rpm, and is not noticeable at most rpms above that, like if you're on the highway.

Any thoughts on the catalytic converter theory? If YOU guys think it is something that's possible, I would be tempted to cut out the cat and put in a straight pipe just to see (before dropping any more dead presidents on guesses).

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 11-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #37
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok at idle only mmmmm could it be the float adjustment is not correct? Now be careful in doing this look down the carb after a full warm up see if you see a drip coming from somewhere. Oh a good spot type light is great for checking this. If it does drip or if the top of the butterfly is wet then you are get close to where the problem is.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #38
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just put on the new wires, no change. Someone at the parts place made the suggestion the cat may be starting to clog, putting back pressure on the engine. One thing we noticed after I swapped the wires, the "stumble" gets more pronounced as the engine gets warmer. It "chokes" a bit at around 1500 rpm, and is not noticeable at most rpms above that, like if you're on the highway.

Any thoughts on the catalytic converter theory? If YOU guys think it is something that's possible, I would be tempted to cut out the cat and put in a straight pipe just to see (before dropping any more dead presidents on guesses).
I *highly* doubt its the cat, at least I would be real surprised if it was. Reason why is again, it would happen at all speeds and temps, getting worse at higher speeds because it has to flow more volume of exhaust at higher RPM's.

You can test the theory pretty cheap, all you need is a couple feet of 2-1/4 exhaust pipe, and put it in place of the cat. Heck even a chunk of fence post would work (ask me how I know...) that way you don't have to spend on a cat.

This is one of those which slowly boggles my mind because you've done everything including the usual suspects... its happened before. This is the part where I dig in my heels and say "We're *going* to figure this out and get it!"

Unread 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #39
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

BTW does yours have an EGR valve? If so, I would be much more inclined to suspect that.
Unread 11-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #40
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ironman, thanks for the confidence.

EGR valve? First thing that was replaced when I bought her. The housing was snapped, rusted or just tweaked, so it got a new one. Soon after putting in on, I disconnected the vac line and plugged it up because it was running crappy and never looked back.

In fact, this was one of those things I checked days ago by hooking the vacuum back up, ang yep, she was running just as crappy as she did when I first put the EGR on.

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #41
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ironman, thanks for the confidence.

EGR valve? First thing that was replaced when I bought her. The housing was snapped, rusted or just tweaked, so it got a new one. Soon after putting in on, I disconnected the vac line and plugged it up because it was running crappy and never looked back.

In fact, this was one of those things I checked days ago by hooking the vacuum back up, ang yep, she was running just as crappy as she did when I first put the EGR on.
Maybe I should go back and re-read the thread... I have a weird theory but it just might work. Mainly what about your vacuum? How many inches is it, when you're idling and its acting up? Because I'm wondering if the vacuum isn't enough, it would let the EGR open a bit when it shouldn't be.
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #42
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Max vacuum I could get was 22.5"

And,yes, it does fluctuate at idle. Don't remember how much though.

One Jeep is Never Enough
Unread 11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #43
89yjsahara258
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just for fun try richening the mixture (loosening the idle screws) and rev the motor between each 1/4 turn adjustment. Try each idle screw independently and then move them together. I am curious if despite the fact the carb was rebuilt the idle tubes might be clogged; either one or both. Just a thought... but if the idle smooths out a bit then it might be worth opening her up.

Also, when you say there is a stutter at 1500 rpm how far is your foot to the floor? Is it less or more pronounced at WOT compared to normal "lazy" acceleration?

Spencer
89yjsahara258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #44
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

how about an intake or exhaust manifold gasket leak. my idle was all over the place until I fixed a gasket leak.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #45
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjsahara258 View Post
Just for fun try richening the mixture (loosening the idle screws) and rev the motor between each 1/4 turn adjustment. Try each idle screw independently and then move them together. I am curious if despite the fact the carb was rebuilt the idle tubes might be clogged; either one or both. Just a thought... but if the idle smooths out a bit then it might be worth opening her up.

Also, when you say there is a stutter at 1500 rpm how far is your foot to the floor? Is it less or more pronounced at WOT compared to normal "lazy" acceleration?

Spencer
Hey Spencer. I was wondering about that also, the carb being clogged. As far as the 1500 rpm stutter, I was guessing it while under the hood this afternoon. It is a mild stutter, but there none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm View Post
how about an intake or exhaust manifold gasket leak. my idle was all over the place until I fixed a gasket leak.
I hope not, winter's coming . I don't have time to do these this year.

Have a new exhaust, front pipe back, planned for the spring, but really don't want to get involved with the manifold.

How do I check for a leak?

One Jeep is Never Enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.