Timing a 4.0L - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Timing a 4.0L

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #76
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Alfons. However I'd hate to start a new thread at this point. There's a lot of really good information here for someone having the same issues.

FYI, I rebuilt the engine before swapping it into my CJ. I have a fear that my "Chevy" buddy might have installed the timing chain incorrectly.

The way I have it set right now, it starts and runs pretty smooth. But even the slightest movement of the distributor will disturb this and it won't run.

I am beginning to think you guys are right about the TPS causing the hesitation. I'm going to test it tomorrow before I go get another one, but for $30 I can deal with replacing it if it fixes the problem.

I have good pressure at the rail at start-up, idle, and with throttle. The fuel pump is a brand new Ford 2100 pump.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #77
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Update

Just a quick update. It's running like a champ now.

I rechecked that I was at TDC, reinstalled the distributor EXACTLY according to the FSM and it fired up perfectly and purrs like a kitten.

I can't tell you what the exact fix was, but I can only assume that I must have been a tooth off on the distributor or something.

Anyway, I now know more than I ever wanted to know about my 4.0L swap, distributor issues, and the wiring. I guess it's a good thing, but my brain is FULL!

Good luck to the rest of you on your swaps!

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #78
Jeeper_YJ

What is the timing? I used a timing light and its 4* BTDC. I think its wrong. I think I read here its 14*? Am I off a tooth?
'97 Cherokee, 99+ intake, 62mm TB, 703 injectors (new), k&n intake, Hypertech III, 180* stat (1/8" drilled hole), 2.5" manifold 2 tail pipe (Hooker Maxflow & hi flow cat), Perf header, 4.5" zone lift, 32" GY Dura Trac, Rear head rests. Comp cam "231" & Perf head (LS1 BIG valves 2.02/1.62). 3 row alum radiator.
Jeeper_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #79
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

I would go back to the first page of this thread and look closely at the distributor placement and timing procedure. That's what I did and it has worked for me. I wouldn't rely on the timing marks and/or timing light if your distributor or timing chain could be off or installed incorrectly.

Unread 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #80
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't had a timing light for decades: http://www.classicinlines.com/Vacuum.asp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.