Time to throw the ol hardtop back on...seal questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to throw the ol hardtop back on...seal questions

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
GAT72991
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Time to throw the ol hardtop back on...seal questions

Hello all,

Well i'm about to get the hardtop back out. I plan on painting it, putting my monsta on my tub, and sealing it all up in one weekend. Just had a question on the seals.

My corner seals are fine, and i'm going to use weatherstripping from somewhere like Lowes on the tub area. But, where's the best place to buy the hard door seals from? I've searched and quadratec seems a little pricey, i may just bite the bullet though because it needs them bad.

Also, all my sheetmetal screws have stripped the windshield, i was looking at this:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_00.htm

If i dont go with this kit, you guys have any other suggestions?

GAT72991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought large sheet metal screws( one size up) and not over tighten them. There is also pop nuts that could work too.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
BigDeaner
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Probably not what you'de want to do if you're that concerned about fully sealing everything. My last 3 tops, I tried the larger screws each time, and eventually just ended up with holes too big to work with. I just took a small drill bit and drilled new holes a cpl inches over from each hole, use some smaller screws and have never had a problem. Don't notice leaks or drafts from the previous holes either. Hate looking at the old holes, but alot better than screws rattling out every 2 weeks. I know there is also a kit you can buy that will give you clamps like the tj, designed for the yj. Hope this helps.

***also..just noticed the kit you were referring to is the one i was thinking of, seems like it'de do the trick as well.

1987 JEEP YJ LAREDO
4.2L,MC2100,TFI,NUTTERED
NP231,AX15,D30,D35
9,500LB WINCH,60"HI-LIFT
BigDeaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
northernsimon
1994 YJ Wrangler 

seals???? screws????

honestly, never had any seals between my tub and hardtop. nor any screws holding my hardtop to my windshield frame. sure she can be drafty........but if i can handle it in canada; south carolina should be very tolerable. heck, i doubt i'd even put my hard top on in SC...........................
northernsimon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

here is a good way to fix those stripped out holes..
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-n...-k-series.html
Unread 10-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

This has worked for me. The mounting holes over the windshield are very stretched out.

I got speednuts (sort of like this http://www.pointe-products.com/itemc...tal-Speed-Nuts) from Home Depot, but instead of putting them on the lip of the windshield, I used them backwards and put them on the lip of the hardtop and ran the screw through them. The screw passes through the hole on the windshield (keeping the top from moving) but does not actually engage threads any more on the windshield.

It's crude, but it does the job.

BTW while searching for a pic of this, I found a potentially useful site:

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/?Click=2
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
here is a good way to fix those stripped out holes..
http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-n...-k-series.html
Did you use these? If so, how are they holding up?
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
Did you use these? If so, how are they holding up?
Have not tried them yet but from reading on here and other place they report back that they work.
Unread 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
JeepDrew_94
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsimon View Post
seals???? screws????

honestly, never had any seals between my tub and hardtop. nor any screws holding my hardtop to my windshield frame. sure she can be drafty........but if i can handle it in canada; south carolina should be very tolerable. heck, i doubt i'd even put my hard top on in SC...........................
It can get pretty cold here in SC especially here in the upstate. I dont use any weather stripping with my hard top and its only attached with 6 bolts on the tub.
JeepDrew_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't use any screws on my windshield either. Only 6 bolts on the tub.

I got my hard door seals from the vendor on here a1 auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.