Time to start thinking of getting rid of the Jeep...need help pricing out my Jeep... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time to start thinking of getting rid of the Jeep...need help pricing out my Jeep...

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 01-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
///M Coupe

Time to start thinking of getting rid of the Jeep...need help pricing out my Jeep...

I've decided that I'll be selling my beloved Jeep after Feb. of this year. I just wanted to get a head start on pricing for this puppy.

Its a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Laredo w/ the 4.2L I6.
I have paperwork from just the last 15 months or so showing that there has been over $2500.00 easily invested in it to get it up to daily driving condition. All the major problem areas have been fixed/replaced.

The mods that are on the jeep are in my signature.

The rust areas are on the driver door near the hinges and at the seam where the hood and windshield meet. It has a hardtop w/ full steel doors and windows. It is currently right around 125,000 miles and runs perfect each day on its 90 mile/day trip to and from work. The tires/wheels look brand new as well.

Any help with this would be great.

This is the only picture I have of it so far:

Unread 01-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
bcshepard

I'd pay $3500-4000 for it if it had half doors and a soft top if I was buying (thats what I was looking at when I bought mine). With full doors and hard top add to that figure.. You should be able to make a decent buck from it, very nice looking jeep.
bcshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Lins

Nice clean jeep! Shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for that.
Lins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 05:15 PM   #4
duffy

I sold my '89 2.5 L soft top today for $4900. I was asking $4950. It was a clean jeep, but nothing fancy. It had 121,500 miles on it. You should be able to get more for yours because of the I6 and hard top.
Unread 01-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Questor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think you could get anywhere between 4.5k and 6k depending on region and overall condition, which transmission is in there, if the suspension is stock etc...

Your Jeep looks nice, as long as it runs and drives well, and has no major rust or other problems, I think you'll get decent money. It also depends on how fast you want to sell it, if you want what it's worth, don't come down too much right away.

You DO have another Jeep which you'll be using instead of this one, right?
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
bcshepard

I would say 5.5k would be fair.. If I was buying I would probably venture that if the interior is in GOOD shape. Not mint but GOOD. like minor wear not major rips/stains etc.
bcshepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
JeepDrivr93
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clean looking Jeep. As for the price well the area you live in can make a BIG difference. Remember it is an 88 so people can be "scared off" due to the age. I am up in Michigan and I would pay 4000-5000 for it. I have read on the board though; a Jeep in that condition (from looks) could sell upwards of 6-6500k if it was in the right area in HIGH demand. Good Luck!

1998 Cherokee Classic - SOLD

1993 YJ - SOLD :(
JeepDrivr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #8
K2Racing

I bought my 88 with an I6, soft top, 2"body lift, shackles, 31x10.5 tires, and 131,000 miles on it for $4500, its pretty clean for the most part, paints a little faded in some places, no rust anywhere but the windshield frame, and everything works on it (most of the time at least). I feel I got a good deal considering what I got, it gets me where I need to go every single day.
K2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
87'YJ

I would probably only pay $4000 tops for it. Honestly, I have had several jeeps and unfortunatley rust is your biggest enemy. Even if you patched a rust hole, it has had rust. Also it has high mileage. I have seen several 6 cyls with lower mileage for $5000 all day long. The hard top is nice, it does make it worth a little more. It doesn't look like you have any serious mods that would make it more valuable either. If you were trying to sell it, I'll bet $4000 is the most you could get for it.
87'YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #10
87'YJ

For Example

Here is the Jeep that I am selling. Price wise it is $5600. realize, it is a rust free perfect looking and running jeep. Has expensive custom bumpers and chrome accessories as well as seats, interior work. Hope this gives some insight on how to price yours.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/54540670.html
87'YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #11
Questor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87'YJ
Here is the Jeep that I am selling. Price wise it is $5600. realize, it is a rust free perfect looking and running jeep. Has expensive custom bumpers and chrome accessories as well as seats, interior work. Hope this gives some insight on how to price yours.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/54540670.html
Is this the same Jeep you're asking about an idle problem (dying after warmup) in the other thread? If so, I wouldn't exactly say "perfect looking and running" would describe it that well.

And ANY 10+ YO Jeep that has not had a frame off restoration, had the internals of the frame sprayed with protectant (WaxOyl, 3M, etc...) and had the externals coated with POR15, etc... has rust...I can easily show you 10 or more places where you have rust you don't even know about...just pull one of your skid plate bolts.
Unread 01-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
Robbins

Rust depends on where you live just as much as price does...I have a '92 that I'm confident has absolutely no rust on it anyhere, even the skid plate bolts. Gotta love cars that grew up in the high desert.

as for the one in question, 89 just sounds old anymore. I only paid 4400 for an 89 with only 85,000 miles on it, and it was heavily modded. I did sell it for 4600, which was sweet. 2 years of driving and 200 bucks profit

The hard top definatley helps too...I'd consider buying one of those el-cheapo carpet kits from jcwhitney or somewhere for about 100 bucks...that adds a brand new look to the interior and can fetch you more than your 100 bucks back when you sell it.
Unread 01-05-2005, 11:53 PM   #13
Questor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins
Rust depends on where you live just as much as price does...I have a '92 that I'm confident has absolutely no rust on it anyhere, even the skid plate bolts. Gotta love cars that grew up in the high desert.
Not saying I don't believe you, I've seem some relatively rust free cars, esp from very dry, inland areas, but they still had some small amounts of rust inside the frame rails and other places where moisture can get trapped... Now if the car has NEVER been rained on, washed, or even splashed with water, I could believe it...

If you do pull one of those skid plate, or fuel filter shield, or anything else that goes into the frame, bolts - take a pic and post it!

And oh yeah, if you're willing to sell it...PM me. :P

Last edited by Questor; 01-05-2005 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Oh yeah...
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
Robbins

The digital camera revolution hasn't reached me yet...but basically my jeep was pampered and garaged it's whole life (prior to me) by a guy who owned a body shop and lived in the desert. He drove it to work, parked it in the shop, drove it home, parked it in the garage, and fixed everything before it was broken....I'm sure the thing saw rain at least a couple of times, but it spent the majority of the past 13 years inside. I gave it a full-on examination prior to buying it, because I couldn't believe that it could be that clean either, but I assure you it was. Right now, however, it's sitting in a pile of snow outside my house...I better get a digital camera quick before the rust starts to develop.
Unread 01-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
87yjNY

An Obvious thought...

Jeeps have really gone far with keeping their value...but then again who is a customer of 1989 jeep with the I6 and 125,xxx miles....someone who loves jeeps and will do anything in his/her power to stay away from a 4 door sedan or minivan, or any 'car' for that matter. so its definitely not about logic, its beyong logic...

Good thing YJ's will never lose their value...To me all these prices seem Very expensive....but I suppose 4-4500 would be a fair price today, as long as you can find a buyer for that price

basically, thats what it comes down to- whos gonna buy it for $______ price?

if the going price for an 89 is around $4k and an 87 is going for $5600 on craigslist....

what would mine with a chevy 4.3l with 29K mi, new 700r4 transmission, rebuilt NP231 tcase, edelbrock 600 carb , Edelbrock performer intake manifold, Edelbrock air intake, Headers, 8.8mm Under Header Accel Wires, NEW HEI-Distributor, true-dual custom built exhaust, 2.5" RE suspension lift, all new poly body mounts, Posi-Lok 4x4 engager, brand new mechanical autometer gauges, B&M Megashifter, manual choke, and a Brand new 350 YJ conversion 3 core radiator go for? And theres gotta be a few more mods im forgetting at the moment...

Enjoy your jeeps
87yjNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.