Time To Lift !!! Help me decide !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Time To Lift !!! Help me decide !!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-27-2002, 09:17 PM   #1
WranglerYJ94

Time To Lift !!! Help me decide !!!

This spring I am going to lift my Jeep and run 33x12.50's. I really like the looks of a high-sitting YJ...Buddy of mine has a 93 with a Spring Over - it is sooooo badass. I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the Spring Over kit or the Extreme 4.5" lift kit from Rubicon Express. What do some of yall think? My Jeep will see mostly on-road driving, with occasional weekend 4-wheeling trips (Uwharrie, Tellico)...so when I do go off road I need lots of capability. Which lift will provide better on road manners and off road capability? Also, which is less expensive? I really want to do the Spring Over. Is this a smart decision over the 4.5" spring under? Any tips/comments are definetely welcome!!!
Thanks alot,
John

Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:22 PM   #2
Chumpbusta

I'd forget having a dual purpose jeep (on and off road capabilities). You can always do both, but you won't have "performance' on both. I tried. Just decide what you really need.
Go with 33' tires, a locker in the rear, drop your sway bar (very helpful and u can always put in back on easily) and a mild suspension lift to make room for the tires. You'd be surprised what you can do with a rear locker. If you can afford it, go with an ox locker or an air locker, this way you lock it when you need it, and on the street, you still have the performance!
Warn XDi9000 winch, full spray in liner
and all the doodads you need to do it right!
Chumpbusta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:33 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nonsense! I run a a very built YJ. It is at home in the toughest rockcrawling trails and travels 50 miles roundtrip on the highway everyday. Rides and handles very well. Anyone who knows my Jeep can attest to the fact that it performs very well on and off the pavement. Frankly, I don't care for the one dimensional concept sweeping the off road community these days. These are Jeeps. They should be at home in any terrain. Build them right and they will be. Compromise nothing.

To the original question, based on your post, I'd say the SOA is inevitable. Even if you do settle with the RE lift for now, you won't be satisfied until you get the SOA done. It's probably cheaper to get the RE lift in now. But my guess is that eventually you'll do the SOA and have to throw away much of the RE kit.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:30 AM   #4
damonejeep

I will have to agree with Matt on all points. One should build their Jeep so it is at home on any terrain, off or on the road.
And even though the 4.5" RE lift is a great lift, eventually the idea is to go with a SOA. I have a 3.5 and love it, but eventually when I get the oney and find someone around here who ai can trust to transform my Jeep, I will do a SOA. The SOA performance is better than even the TJ's off-road, and from the ones I have riden in, they ride nice.
If you can afford the SOA and have someone you can trust, then do it. If not, do the 4.5 for now (a great lift) and save and research the SOA.
GOod luck.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2002, 09:59 AM   #5
bobznew

Just a thought... you can easily fit 33x12.50's with a BDS 3.5" suspension lift and boomerang shackles for a VERY decent price.

This is a great lift, it includes everything you need in the kit, it rides great, and it's really rated conservatively. It's actually more than 3.5", even before you put the new shackles on. And they add a lot more lift too.

But, it's not SOA, which you seem to really like the idea of. Just wanted you to know you had another option.
Unread 02-28-2002, 03:05 PM   #6
SethNCSU

John, do you live in charlotte or the surrounding area? I live in concord and go to school at NC State. But anyways, My jeep has a spring over w/ BDS add-a-leafs and runs 35's and drive it from concord to Raleigh all the time. I really love my soa. If i got another yj, i would do the same to it. It doesn't ride as harsh as a leaf spring lift, and it flexes a whole hell of a lot better. I do get a little bump steer and the brakes are worse, but you have to expect that w/ any supension lift really. As far as price, the soa will prob. be cheaper than the 4.5" Rub. ex. lift. Keep in mind that you will have to get a slip yoke elimanotor and cv driveshaft w/ both lifts.

Pictures of my Jeep.
SethNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2002, 04:06 PM   #7
WranglerYJ94

Yeah I live in Charlotte, NC. Right in Matthews. I've been researching lots of lifts and tire kits and pricing them out. Oh i just put a Flowmaster 40 series muffler on my 94 YJ yesterday and MANNNNNNN does it sound good!!!!!!!!
Flowmaster exhaust
Lights
Lotsa 'stuff'
WranglerYJ94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2002, 07:44 PM   #8
jeepdog

There is no question in my mind that the rubeicon express 4.5 is for sure the way to go. I have had it on my jeep fpr about a year and a half and it was the BEST!!! thing i could have done. the off road capabilities are great and the on street is awsome as well. The spring over will give you more lift and do just as well on the trail BUT....
The on street ride is not good at all!!!!

Keep the rubber side down!!!!
jeepdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
89 YJ

I have a 4 inch leaf lift and inch and a quarter shackle lift and 31 10.50s. I disconected the rear sway and front sway so it can articulate. I took off the front bump stops and can get very high on ramp and it offroads awesome. Its my daly driver and I am going for 33s with my tax return Just a few comments, I am rubbing my front and rear fenders with the 31s.......... So, if your do serious off roading, Get more lift than people say u need!!!! Mind you there isnt a single rub on street driving, but when I drive over boulders and it really articulates, it rubs. Oh, im planing on the spring over also. That should keep the body from hitting the wheels
89 YJ Islander, AC,PS, 10 inch lift, 32 BFG MT's, sway quick disconnect, rear track bar quick disconnect, 400 watt 12 speaker cd player for tunes,8000lb warn 8274 with 150 ft cable, and a high lift jack.. Lockers, 35's, webber carb and jacobs ignition comming soon.
89 YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #10
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepdog:
There is no question in my mind that the rubeicon express 4.5 is for sure the way to go. I have had it on my jeep fpr about a year and a half and it was the BEST!!! thing i could have done. the off road capabilities are great and the on street is awsome as well. The spring over will give you more lift and do just as well on the trail BUT....
The on street ride is not good at all!!!!
Best for you maybe! You know yours works for you. And I'll pipe right up myself and recommend the 4.5" kit for most anyone looking for a kit. The RE 4.5" is the best "kit". But this guy is already looking at the SOA in envy. Even if he does the 4.5" kit, based on his post, he'll inevitably wind up SOA. There's no way the 4.5" kit is gonna give him the same performance as an SOA. I know what your 4.5" RE kit can do on the trail. It's no spring over. And as far as SOA performance on the street, I'd put my handling against any production kit. There's no kit out there that has the steering as flat as I do now. While I had "decent" handling and ride in both of the kits I've run, both of the SOAs I've done on this Jeep handle better and certainly ride better on the street.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.