Is it time to "dump" this old money pit? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it time to "dump" this old money pit?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmatthews View Post
Well I hate to admit it but I finally had an enjoyable drive in my 87!! Yipee!! I put in some 4 degree shims & lined up the pinion better to the driveline. Made one heck of a difference! Not perfect but I could drive it at least. A little rough in 3rd & 4th on accel. but not decel. A noticeable inprovement

The new MM's go in Friday this I'm sure will also help. Here's my question: It needs to be shimmed some more, maybe another 2-4 degree's, I thought about machining away about 1/2 of the 1" TC drop spacers. This would give me about a 1/2" TC drop instead of the 1" that I had originally, (till I put in the SYE & T Woods drive line & moved the skid plate back to its original position). I think I could live with the 1/2" drop, would I gain much? or should I pull the shims & try to get some 8 degree or??

Would this be classed as "mickey mousing" it or is there really only one right way to do it?? Thanks again!

(Notice the paragraphs??) I thought everyone might be a little impressed!!?
Paragraphs are nice, thanks!

Actually I would wait till the motor mounts are in before I decide to do anything else. That way you only have to fight with one set of variables at a time, and not get all frustrated.

Ultimately in the long run, I think the answer is going to be get a new set of spring mounts and reweld them onto the axle so that the pinion sits the right way without shims or t-case drop.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.