Is it time to "dump" this old money pit? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it time to "dump" this old money pit?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmatthews View Post
Well I hate to admit it but I finally had an enjoyable drive in my 87!! Yipee!! I put in some 4 degree shims & lined up the pinion better to the driveline. Made one heck of a difference! Not perfect but I could drive it at least. A little rough in 3rd & 4th on accel. but not decel. A noticeable inprovement

The new MM's go in Friday this I'm sure will also help. Here's my question: It needs to be shimmed some more, maybe another 2-4 degree's, I thought about machining away about 1/2 of the 1" TC drop spacers. This would give me about a 1/2" TC drop instead of the 1" that I had originally, (till I put in the SYE & T Woods drive line & moved the skid plate back to its original position). I think I could live with the 1/2" drop, would I gain much? or should I pull the shims & try to get some 8 degree or??

Would this be classed as "mickey mousing" it or is there really only one right way to do it?? Thanks again!

(Notice the paragraphs??) I thought everyone might be a little impressed!!?
Paragraphs are nice, thanks!

Actually I would wait till the motor mounts are in before I decide to do anything else. That way you only have to fight with one set of variables at a time, and not get all frustrated.

Ultimately in the long run, I think the answer is going to be get a new set of spring mounts and reweld them onto the axle so that the pinion sits the right way without shims or t-case drop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.