Is it time to "dump" this old money pit? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is it time to "dump" this old money pit?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can always just sign it over to me. I'm an idiot and will continue dumping money into a jeep with hopes it will eventually work correctly.

Unread 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyred View Post
I think it's mm. If they are stock (20+years old) ther're done. Mine looked ok till i replaced them and they fell apart.
X2 again, motor mounts...
pete1991YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you'd be crazy to dump it!
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe I should have started another thrd, but thought I would add to this one, as I have started several on this *&^&&( Jeep!!
Had the SYE installed & I put in the Tom Woods drive shaft & raised the skidplate back into its original position. It seemed better on startup, & when pulling out of the driveway, but soon became apparent that its still the same old POS as before!! Can't drive it above 30MPH, very rough you can almost hear the roughness!. Anyway I haven't installed the Brown Dog MM yet, but can't hardly believe that they would take this all away. It also began to shift crappy between all the gears, (reblt AX15) a slight grind between all the gears. Tried going from 3rd to 4th with the pedal still partially disengaged & reved up the engine, seemed to be very rough. Probably doesn't mean anything though.
Decided to take it back to the trany shop & have them pull everthing out from the flywheel back to the rear end, just to go over everything again! & ( pay again!). Something's not right in the clutch,flywheel, or the trans.
I might also add that I bought a 95 skidplate & put it in, (kept everything for a 95 YJ) I am checking with the shop that did the actual conversion to get the part no's etc for the clutch, press plate etc that they used. Anyway can't quit now have to keep going. This is the problem when one uses two shops to perform this conversion, the trany people figure its the other shop, & vice-versa, anyway my own fault!, just no good Jeep shops around the area. Just "bend over" again, if & when I find the trouble I will sure & hell let everyone know! Just tried to do everything the right way & cut no corners, oh well!
lincolnmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the other people who are suggesting paragraphs.

I think you need to approach this one thing at a time and be willing to admit that part of the problem is your skill -- which you are here to fix.

You might have many issues which others will raise (your pinion angle might be bad, your CAD may be failing causing your front DS to spin, you might have bad tranny mounts, etc, etc, etc)

Take it slowly, write clearly and do lots of reading.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs! Due to the lack of internet service where we are now in the eves, I have to do it on my lunch 1/2 hr at work. Yes sometimes I get in a hurry when posting & get a little flustered, & notice that sometimes I'm hard to follow! For this I apologize! I will try to pay more attention to this next time! Thanks for the suggestions though
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #22
LordOfTheSith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its a Jeep. I put almost nothing into mine for many years. I bought it new in 95. Even with light wheeling and neglect she has taken good care of me. Last year I had to put in a new rear end at 5 years that crappy ax tranny died but other than that she has been good to me. Last year I put new shocks and a new front bumper on her. I put in LED interior light (Blue)white gauges. This year she is getting nerf bars, Al Lined and new front seats. My point is if you love your Jeep and it takes care of you and is mechanically sound it is VERY worth fixing.
LordOfTheSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #23
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
If all esle fails, I'll fly up and take your rig home with me at no charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You can always just sign it over to me. I'm an idiot and will continue dumping money into a jeep with hopes it will eventually work correctly.
I called it first.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
Member: The Wrecking Crew

/f12 YJ MOAB TRIP March 2014 thread

Write Ups:
TJ Flares on a YJ
Forum Searching: An Illustrated Guide
How to Post an Image in your Thread

91 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/35
99 TJ 4.0l Ax15 Np231 4.88 D30 ARB/D44 Yukon FOR SALE
92 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D30/Chrys 8.25 -SOLD
93 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/D35 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YRMV though.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #24
YJrock88

I had the same vibration problem in my 88 and never thought that MM's would solve it , but it really did
YJrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #25
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did you reset your pinion angle after installing the sye and cv shaft?

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #26
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

IMHO, if the frame and body are good, the mechanicals can get fixed. Cancer is the only reason for me to drop a Jeep.

As for the 87 being an "odd" year, I love my '87. Last of the AMC's. I'm more than relatively mechanically reclined under the hood and I've done more to my rig than I ever dreamed possible.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #27
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnmatthews View Post
At what point do you quite dumping $$$$ into the old YJ?
Haha... dig it brotha!

I haven't had to fix anything on my '87 for 4 weeks... I know something's about to "go"!

Did I just jinx myself?
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #28
Luuca
Professional Novice

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartwell59 View Post
Haha... dig it brotha!

I haven't had to fix anything on my '87 for 4 weeks... I know something's about to "go"!

Did I just jinx myself?
Yes. Yes you did.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
Member: The Wrecking Crew

/f12 YJ MOAB TRIP March 2014 thread

Write Ups:
TJ Flares on a YJ
Forum Searching: An Illustrated Guide
How to Post an Image in your Thread

91 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/35
99 TJ 4.0l Ax15 Np231 4.88 D30 ARB/D44 Yukon FOR SALE
92 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D30/Chrys 8.25 -SOLD
93 YJ 2.5l AX5 NP231 D30/D35 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
`Course you don`t get to drink as many beers or cuss like a red bellied sap sucker but the increase in life expectancy due to reduced blood pressure makes it worthwhile. YRMV though.
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #29
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

About the time you sell it, the next owner will need to sink in $100 and it will be tip top. You will never get to the point that you will be making a car payment. It may seem like it at times, but maintaining an old one costs less than paying for a new one.
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
lincolnmatthews
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well I hate to admit it but I finally had an enjoyable drive in my 87!! Yipee!! I put in some 4 degree shims & lined up the pinion better to the driveline. Made one heck of a difference! Not perfect but I could drive it at least. A little rough in 3rd & 4th on accel. but not decel. A noticeable inprovement

The new MM's go in Friday this I'm sure will also help. Here's my question: It needs to be shimmed some more, maybe another 2-4 degree's, I thought about machining away about 1/2 of the 1" TC drop spacers. This would give me about a 1/2" TC drop instead of the 1" that I had originally, (till I put in the SYE & T Woods drive line & moved the skid plate back to its original position). I think I could live with the 1/2" drop, would I gain much? or should I pull the shims & try to get some 8 degree or??

Would this be classed as "mickey mousing" it or is there really only one right way to do it?? Thanks again!

(Notice the paragraphs??) I thought everyone might be a little impressed!!?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.